What are the Government Quarantine Facilities like?

Quarantine is 14 days. Number of days hasn’t changed.

I’m replying to the suggestion of a 21 day quarantine, which I’d take in exchange of staying one single day in the government facility places, or even at the hotels.

1 Like

For the unvaccinated. The US has been closing all of its pop-up vaccine clinics because the overwhelming majority of people who want vaccines already got them. There are some who have been unable to take off work or lack transportation, but right now, absolutely ANYONE 12 and up in the US who wants a vaccine can get one immediately. And they say the vaccines are still “highly effective” against the delta variant. So if you traveled to the US this summer and got both shots, transiting through a high-risk country with a surgical mask on your face carries very little risk. And that’s where TW is really screwing things up. I can understand requiring quarantine for everyone, since vaccines are not 100%, but keeping people locked up at their own expense because they flew in from the US and other low-risk places? That is the first time since March of 2020 that I’m going to agree with the people screeching about “freedom” being “infringed upon”.

4 Likes

The US has high transmissions areas locally and Delta variant.
Besides being locked up at govt expense may be better …I agree…Depends on the accommodation.

This is kinda the essence of why Taiwan doesn’t have enough vaccines

Yeah but from what I’ve heard, the outbreaks in the US are almost entirely among the unvaccinated. So if you’re fully vaccinated, your risk is insanely low

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

But breakthrough transmission isn’t. Unfortunately.

1 Like

There’s limited data on how much transmission occurs from vaxxed people. The current thinking is that since the breakthroughs don’t get as sick and have much lower viral loads, they’re probably not the source of most of the transmission.

Anyway, it’s patently obvious that 0 COVID isn’t realistic. Risk management is not the same thing as risk aversion.

A 7 day quarantine for vaxxed travelers, requiring PCR within 72 hours of flight, upon arrival and the day before quarantine ends, would be totally sensible based on the science.

It would not only free up needed resources but also incentivize people to get vaxxed.

4 Likes

If the Delta is spreading everywhere already…Maybe .

If it’s not…I think the current system is very reasonable . We don’t need Delta spread right now.

The problem is Taiwan’s super low vaccination rate. So they need time to cover the elderly…Even if they are pathetically slow and reluctant to get jabbed.

2 Likes

The point is that the science says somebody who is vaxxed who tests negative 72 hours before their flight, tests PCR negative upon arrival, develops no symptoms of infection for 7 days, and tests PCR negative on the 7th day almost certainly does not have the virus.

There’s even some evidence that the Delta variant has a shorter median incubation time (of 2-4 days) so if this is confirmed, the justification for a 7 day quarantine for the vaxxed makes even more sense with Delta.

Anyway, I won’t be surprised if TW soon finds itself in a situation where it’s running short on quarantine facilities. Then what’s it going to do? Deny citizens and residents the ability to come back?

Maybe it can start locking up travelers like cattle migrant workers.

1 Like

Yeah

Delta+No vaccines+No immunity+Extremely old population

Not a great combination

2 Likes

Quarantining in Kaohsiung would be great. But my bladder is not too good. Just curious if you can request to the cab driver for any pit stop along the 3-4hr ride from Taoyuan to Kaohsiung? Not sure how the cab driver would feel about me pissing in a Gatorade bottle either during the journey.

Agree with you. I am currently in government quarantine facilities and I have had so far a few tests /72 hours before the travel, PCR test on first day of the quarantine, antigen test on day 10 and I am having another PCR test tomorrow. I am also vaccinated.
I think there is no need for 14 days of quarantine. Europe has got a few options, 5, 7 and 10 days and they work very well. Government facilities in here come with basic standard, no possibility to order food with Uber Eats, Food Panda and etc.

1 Like

Doesn’t that depend on which one though? I heard of some people getting orders via various delivery services to government quarantine facilities

1 Like

You can order not cooked food, for example chips or candy. You can order from Carrefour with their delivery service, I was told. Not allowed using UberEats, even if it is Carrefour. Also, your friends and family can bring you things during the established period of time, in my case was 10 to 15am.

Those are extended hours!

Guy

1 Like

Where I am staying now is just a 1h window, from 12 to 13. So I didn’t even try it.

1 Like

Yes, you must let the driver know in advance, and the driver will call 1922. 1922 will notify the crew in the next rest area. There is a designated parking area for epidemic prevention taxis away from the crowd. The epidemic prevention crew with full hazmat suits will meet you there, then when you are allowed to leave the vehicle, the crew will follow you and disinfect the path you have walked. After you leave the designated epidemic prevention restroom, which is away from the crowd, the crew will clean and disinfect the restroom, and the path you walked again. Your driver will also spray you with disinfectant before allowing you into the cab again – that was my experience.

11 Likes

Jesus it sounds like science fiction.

4 Likes

They work very well?!