What are the Government Quarantine Facilities like?

Once one of the staff members there informed me that the wifi was much better close to the door, it more than met my requirements. Online teaching worked fine. Just annoying that the desk they provided was literally glued to the wall on the opposite side, where the signal was significantly worse. You can also use the sim card you get from the airport to hotspot.

I spent the first few days using my excess space to jog laps around the room until I was informed that the people below me had complained that I was too noisy.

2 Likes

Yeah, at least when I arrived I think it was mentioned somewhere on this site that you can rent rooms in these facilities for a lot less than what you would pay for the average quarantine hotel. Around 1,000 to 1,500 a night I think. That may have changed now though and it’s gonna be dependent on availability since those coming from high risk areas are given priority. I should also stress, again, that I may have just gotten lucky and been taken to one of the nicer facilities.

1 Like

What about basic things like tea, coffee, water. Can you get it there? Can you place order for shopping and get it delivered ?

1 Like

Have you been following the news about the Delta variant? Based on your question, my guess is “no.”

Guy

2 Likes

:rofl:

Guy

I was quarantined in Wulai. Food was terrible, view was amazing. There was a balcony, but it was too cold to use.

SIM from the airport had unlimited data so that was fine.

Hot drinking water came twice a day, but there was nowhere to keep milk.

I didn’t try ordering groceries, but people can bring you pretty much anything as long as it’s not booze or fags.

If you’re doing quarantine soon, stop watching all your favourite Netflix shows now.

2 Likes

No need to be homophobic! :upside_down_face:

Guy

I’m getting the feeling a load of people went home for summer and are now facing a major headache coming back. But really, travel during a pandemic you have to be prepared for a lot of hassle. The delta variant is causing scrambles all over the world. Sydney has just gone into full lockdown.

3 Likes

Yeah. Expect the unexpected.

Guy

1 Like

It’s not a headache if you don’t come back to prison right away.

Too little too late. The delta variant is already out in the wild because people couldn’t quarantine at home properly without going to see neighbors.

We should’ve done what Australia / New Zealand did a long time ago instead of only imposing quarantine at hotel for some select foreigners.

But I’m glad they are finally imposing this, and not just for foreigners but for everyone including citizens (who are often the rule breakers).

3 Likes

Taiwan to date has not, to its credit, differentiated quarantine in this way—but it has made / continues to make distinctions based on the country from which one is travelling.

Guy

2 Likes

According to the China Times, travel agencies and travelers already rerouting through UK in order to save money by stating in free mandatory government quarantine facilities.

2 Likes

Expected. When the journalist asked Minister Chen about this and that this was alsready in people’s plan and discussion I could feel his pain to reply this question. Unfortunately they know most people will do so. 10k nt more for a stopover ticket in one of those places is cheaper than the quarantine. I don’t see what other rule they can add to it that would prevent people from transiting in one of the 7 countries.

Well if people think 10k more is worth the gamble they will catch the bug, those are the kind of people that should be in mandatory facilities.

Me thinks putting them in 21 days would be safer.

1 Like

I didn’t say I think it is worth the gamble, but certainly a lot of Taiwanese people do as they are voicing online that that’s what they will do to avoid forking out the hotels cost.

I’d be happier to spend 21 days quarantining in the comfort of my own home than even 1 day in those government facilities.

Maybe someone gives this option a thought. 21 days home quarantine, 1 person 1 bathroom no non quarantining persons allowed in the house.

2 Likes

Or maybe the government could just mandate “reasonable” pricing for quarantine hotels. Right now it’s just a racket.

Most hotels in TW are poor values to begin with, which I suspect is one of several reasons TW is overlooked by Western tourists.

1 Like

That was the way it was before Delta. However, the CECC has decided the risk is too high. One runner can spread the virus way too fast as it has been seen in Pingtung and the only way to make sure that does not happen easily is to have people in established facilities.

Well the ones in Taroko are making a killing with the working y home jet set. 3 meals and a dip in hot springs.

Is the quarantine 14 or 21 days? I thought it is 14 days.