What are the least popular medical specializations?

I would’ve guessed psychiatry to be the least popular specialty.

Well, you’re never short of work and can’t be replaced by AI.

Yeah, but who wants to go to school for almost a decade just to prescribe people crazy pills?

They earn good money.

That’s not even the bad part. My sister-in-law is a psychiatrist and you have to always be on call in case of a patient emergency. She gets calls from suicidal patients at 4 in the morning and she has to spend an hour talking them down from killing themselves. It’s incredibly mentally draining.

1 Like

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you. — Lao Tzu

2 Likes

Obstetrics. Risky delivering babies and pay low but chance of lawsuits high

They all get called for patient emergencies if they work at a hospital. It’s just the way it is. Unless you’re a dermatologist or dentist.

proctology or urology

No. I mean she gets called at home on her cell number. She needs to be available 24/7 in case a patient is suicidal.

I’m pretty sure OBGYNs also take calls on their personal phone when it’s about time to deliver a baby. My cousin’s doctor gave her his number about two days out from her expected due date and was like “Just call me when it’s time!”

I understand most doctors are on calls. But it’s not quite the same as having to convince someone they shouldn’t kill themselves. She’s been on the phone with patients for over three hours.

I know. They all get called at home.