What are things Taiwan needs to watch out for in the future?

Taiwan has had a fantastic 2020. It’s kept coronavirus at bay and welcomed senior US officials and that huge Czech delegation. More companies are moving back to Taiwan to open factories and the economy is doing good because of strong tech exports. More foreign journalists are moving to Taiwan too like the New York Times and Guardian.

So Taiwan’s future is looking really rosy. We can all look forward to a richer, more confident, more progressive Taiwan. Or is it? What are some things that might be problematic and that Taiwan needs to watch out for or work on?
First let’s take out the most obvious problem of an invasion by China.

I’ll start by saying one problem is more media attention. Things are ultra-positive now but more media coverage in future will bring on more scrutiny. Things that flew under the radar before in Taiwan might receive more attention like the student suicides and the murder of that Malaysian girl in Tainan.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/60996-turkey-drop-physics.html

1 Like

Extremely low birth rate.

4 Likes

1 Like

This, although higher incomes will help.

Digital nomads.

Being locked out of free trade agreements.

Samsung.

1 Like

Did you miss where I asked ‘Or is it? What are some things that might be problematic and that Taiwan needs to watch out for or work on?’

Why do you object that Taiwan might have a rosy future?

Climate variability—steadily rising temperatures, less frequent but more powerful typhoons, fresh water shortages, rising ocean levels.

Remind me again, what exactly are we doing about this other than filling our often narrow roads with monstrously large automobiles?

Guy