What are you building?

:wink:

3 Likes

I’m also building a guitar…

16 Likes

I’m using my spare time, when not speaking English for a living, to design and learn how to cut moulds for a project I’ve had eating at my noggin for a long time. I wouldn’t have had the time nor the access to materials the same way back in the old country.

1 Like

I have a wood shop. I can let you use them for a fee…

Do you have a 3D printer?

We’re at opposite ends of the country. I’m also working in plastic right now. My next project is going to be wood. I’ll consult you when I get to that.

No, that’d be too easy.

1 Like

I’m assuming by mould you meant making molds for plastic? This is something you’d have to consult a tool and die maker for, but molds are expensive though in Taiwan it would be cheaper than say the US.

I just need patience and a steady hand. I’m cutting my own moulds out of ABS. If it’s something worth scaling up beyond my own usage, you’d be right.

You know abs melts kind of easy so you could probably form bend it with a heat gun and weld them with Weldon cement. And is used to make guitar bindings but in the older time celluloid is used. But celluloid is highly flammable.

Actually it may be easier to cut abs with a hot wire.

Hot wire. Interesting. I’m actually cutting sheets of ABS for moulds to form things out of Polymorph. The ABS cuts easy and, once I wrap it in aluminum tape, it holds a shape even with heat. I’ll keep the hot wire idea in mind though.

The motherboard isn’t going to be the problem, it’s all the stuff that goes on it, CPU, memory, extension cards, finding the right slots …

I know. I just meant I wanted to use this motherboard which would be otherwise sitting around doing nothing. Been building computers for 20 years. I know.

I’ve looked into building Japanese style house (minka) I think help with my Son a builder we could do it.
Somewhere South Taiwan if I ever settle here.

2 Likes

I think I have maybe three or four old boards sitting around. Anyways, would the BIOS still be save?

Good luck with the termite proofing.

1 Like

Absolutely. Corruption is rare on EEPROM chips. I’d be worried about EPROM chips as they are UV sensitive, but EEPROM chips erasing themselves over 30 years isn’t really a widespread problem.

1 Like

So why build a windows 98 retro PC? I mean even windows 10 runs Windows 98 stuff fairly well, and DOS emulators exist.

Now if I could find myself a RX1080 in a junk yard…

Not at all. Windows 10 doesn’t run anything that requires 16 bit executables, libraries or dependencies. Many XP things wouldn’t even run on Vista.

Complicated apps like games barely run without patches. Many are not patched. DOOM is an exception cause it runs on everything.

Nobody’s going to throw out a competent $400 US market price GPU.

I understand Taiwanese apathy towards vintage hardware, but nobody’s that dumb.

In Thailand they used teak to solve the problem, and there are other woods and treatments to prevent decay of homes in that part of the world. I would wonder about the cost of building materials in Taiwan, and how much wood would be needed to build a minka?

I know a place in the mountains that’s build from imported wood from Canada, a cabin style thing, full of termites.