What are you building?

Canada has a lot of wood, some of it cheap and delicious. I don’t know what the place is made of, but something adapted to the local environment (such as teak), probably would have been the way to go…

Teak is super expensive in Taiwan, or anywhere. You’re better off using steel or something at the price.

Or use pressure treated wood.

1 Like

Yup. Termites: a totally solvable problem

Teak isn’t sustainably harvested, and it is expensive because it grows slowly. They are used for novelty items because they are so expensive. Cypress is often used in those Japanese homes but even in Taiwan they can’t handle the mold and termite. There is a reason why timber is never ever used, and if they are used it’s only for interior use, and the wood is often heavily processed, nothing natural. I guess the sticks they got here is treated to resist rot (they smell like chemicals when burned). But those sticks are not intended for anything structural.

You can use pressure treated wood for outdoor decking and while pressure treated wood is expensive, it’s nowhere near as expensive as teak.

Wooden playground equipment found here is not wood, it’s simulated wood made from recycled plastic bags. They can survive floods as the riverside park often floods.

2 Likes

It’s better if we didn’t solve one problem by creating another e.g. destroying the rainforest. There’s got to be other options.

1 Like

You want sustainable building material? Use steel. They are the most recycled material on the planet. They are not expensive (something like 20nt per kg when bought in bulk), and they are very strong, like much stronger than wood. They can rust but steps can be taken to inhibit that (like galvanizing). You can bolt them together if you want or weld it together. Yea they have shit R value but that can be mitigated.

I mean people build good houses out of used containers and they’re practically free.

1 Like

Question: where can i get a set of comander keen, cosmos and crystal caves that will work on windows 10?

I don’t know which Cosmos game you are referring to, Commander Keen… It’s on Steam so it’s LIKELY that it will work because the devs may have at least released a patch but not guaranteed. (GTA IV works with Windows 7 but not Windows 10)

Crystal Caves has an HD rerelease released two months ago. Original is on Steam too and says it works with Windows 8. :idunno:

Popular old games do get patched if the copyright holders are simply maintaining the game. IPs that have been abandoned might be shit outta luck without the devs or source code.

For example, games that support or require Table Fog, (Final Fantasy VII is notable for using this) will not work on GPUs past the Nvidia Geforce FX 5000 series (2004) or will simply lose fog features.

The fastest GPU that supports Table Fog is the Geforce FX 5950 Ultra.

These GPUs also support Nglide, giving support to games that require glide from the Voodoo Banshee series. I picked one up recently. TWD $100. They’re worth $150 US online.

Good cards can be $300.

Like many members of this forum, I live in Taiwan, where space is at a premium. I don’t have a basement that I can switch between multiple computers when I wanna play a period-correct game. If I’m going to build computers that can play games, I want computers that can play as much as possible with decent performance, that means limiting myself to two, three max.

In English countries with more space, you can simply just get dime-a-dozen hardware and build 10 computers with the cheapest stuff you can buy and switch between them. Many cockroach parts are to be had for loonies or even free.

A good Windows 98 system with the right parts (Late stage Pentium 4 with AGP or Athlon 64 with AGP) can play titles from the late 80s to the mid 2000s and gets you 15 years of range. A good XP/7 dual boot system with a Haswell or Piledriver CPU and GTX 960(Last card supported) will get you from 2001 to 2015 that pushes into 2017.

3 Likes

I’m slowly building a nice belly.

5 Likes

Could try bamboo but that’s not going to give you straight lines anywhere

You might have to give up your title if you do that.

2 Likes

I can teach you how to build it quickly.

1 Like

In UK I have a softwood pressure treated home built garage that I treated with preserver on top after building. 5 years later used ‘engine oil’ illegal but no termites or rot now!

Wooden houses in UK mostly have a outer layer of Larch, from reading also used in Japan.

I actually found that very funny :grin: when I realised what you meant.
Suaoking maybe?

2 Likes

Taitungking

1 Like

£800 each UK, I regret not building my garage using 2.
Pressure treated Swedish Timber cost me £4000!!

They have bamboo that looks like laminated hardwood, it’s processed into huge beams.

1 Like

That looks awesome but also seems to be significantly more expensive than your basic 2 x 4’s

How can I see your guitars?

Oh yeah website. Nice stuff!