What are you guys preparing for Chinese New Year ? ( Food wise )

It ought to be rat soup, surely? Maybe you just misheard :whistle:

Iā€™m playing it by ear, but hereā€™s the current plan

Breakfast: bottle or two of Duvel
Lunch: rib eye steak. Bottle of Rioja
Afternoon: mojitos at TGI Fridays (if open)
Supper: cheese selection. 2000 Fonseca. Romeo y Julieta no. 2 smoked in the apartment

Indigestion tablets then bed.

6 Likes

:notworthy:

1 Like

BiggusDickus

37m

Iā€™m playing it by ear, but hereā€™s the current plan

Breakfast: bottle or two of Duvel
Lunch: rib eye steak. Bottle of Rioja
Afternoon: mojitos at TGI Fridays (if open)
Supper: cheese selection. 2000 Fonseca. Romeo y Julieta no. 2 smoked in the apartment

Indigestion tablets then bed.

:grin: :grin:, Rennie

1 Like

Ketchup?

1 Like

Ha! Or booze. Lots and lots of booze. (Sort of frowned upon for this occasion, sadly, due to a relativeā€™s past problems with alcohol.)

Same. After I saw the food on the table for the third day I told them nicely I wonā€™t eat their food last year.
Iā€™m headed over soon. I am bringing instant noodles to eat as others eat mother in lawā€™s food

I enjoy Chinese new year as a traditional feast and village festival , I even get to cook some vegetables too on the massive wok burners . :grin:
Will be eating a lot of the usual tuji chicken , pork feet stew, shaoxing sausage, kejia squid xiao chao , duck, steamed fish, all kinds of fresh veg hopefully winter cabbage, oily soups. We will brew up some great mountain tea. We will probably have the usual nut and seed snacks and whatever weird fruit has been shared around lately. Iā€™ll break out the alcohol. If Iā€™m lucky Iā€™ll also get to eat at the aunties house who really is an amazing cook and who also raises her own chickens (this is also the time of year that I have to interact with many friendly if slightly deranged in-laws). I will be bringing our tuji to get blessed at the local temple. Maybe the relatives will win best chicken of the year prize againā€¦you never know.

I can take two days and enjoy . Kids get to experience traditional CNY with family. More is really pushing it.:grinning:

3 Likes

A Northern-style spreadā€¦shaobing and laobing with a full assortment of meat and vegetable fillings, accompanied by red and white wine. No Taiwanese food whatsoever! The only concession to Jiangnan food is dongpo rou to be used as shaobing filling.

3 Likes

Traditional feast and village festival Yay! :partying_face:

Yes and I enjoy it for what it is. Actually even in Taiwan many people donā€™t get to do that anymore. Many relatives from all over Taiwan and China come back for a ceremony at the ancestral temple and itā€™s quite a festive feeling, the one time of year the place comes to life . :sunglasses:

Mybe I shall have the same . :rofl:

2 Likes

I agree :+1:

1 Like

This was dinner after it was previously eaten by the ancestors for 4 hours.

All of it cold and flavorless. Simple fare I guess. What is not finished will be lunch tomorrow. Needless to say, Iā€™m still hungry. Going to go raid my suitcase for contraband snacks.

3 Likes

Taiwanese food looks good to me here

4 Likes

Same as you, food after visiting the temple (for Lunch and some for dinner). I think itā€™s fine, some local foods.

2 Likes

All these food makes me hungry :grinning:

Hope you also had a good dinner ! (Photos?)

That was dinner. And lunch and and probably lunch tomorrow.

Went to visit kitty at hospital, heā€™s pulling through so I am happyā€¦But there was nothing open near Zhongshan MRT, the department stores closed, only the Milk something place where I had a microwave meal of tomato rice beef and tea.

Not a good start.

1 Like