What Are You Watching (TV Series, etc.)? :facebook:

I just read a nice suggestion to set this story in the future, beyond Voyager. I like this article’s quite that the writer has carte blanche: they can set this in the new universe or the old standard.

Star Trek: can the franchise live long and prosper in the Netflix era?

[quote]Many fans – perhaps still smarting from the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise, the last televisual incarnation, in 2005 – will see this as Star Trek’s long-overdue return to its spiritual home. TV is where it all began, after all; where we really got to know Kirk, and Picard, and Sisko. Where the minutiae of the characters and universe could be explored and unravelled in unhurried detail. At their best, the TV shows ruminated on the biggest questions it’s possible to ponder – life, the universe and everything. Viewed from the post–Breaking Bad TV landscape of 2015 though, at their worst – and apologies to any Trekkies out there – they were sometimes ponderous, pious and slightly dull.

Kurtzman’s recent Star Trek films were many things, but they were not boring. Nor were they thoughtful, or reflective, or have anything to say that wasn’t yelled at the top of their lungs. They didn’t feel like Star Trek at all: more rambunctious sci-fi action-comedies – JJ Abrams Star Wars-ing Star Trek before jumping ship and Star Wars-ing Star Wars, effectively. What Kurtzman must decide is which Star Trek to make: his – slick, brash, modern – or the one that died in 2005. The one he thinks fans of the classic series would like to see, or the one for the Chris Pine generation.

[/quote]

youtu.be/ZzwwfrM4wSE?t=12m4s

A young man speaking about how TNG helped him at Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2014. Hopefully the new Trek show can carry that torch.

[quote=“hansioux”]https://youtu.be/ZzwwfrM4wSE?t=12m4s

A young man speaking about how TNG helped him at Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2014. Hopefully the new Trek show can carry that torch.[/quote]

Thanks for the link !

What I would personnally like to see is the old Star Trek timeline but with a BSG “treatment”. (By the way isn’t what Moore wanted to do with Voyager and got kicked for that ?)
Not the same things of course but something like a real odyssey. Things getting old and/or with real technical enhancements (you can apprehend visually) that really has impact on a long storyline, a real evolution in characters and relationships, etc.
I think it can be mixed whith the general optimistic views of the franchise.

Ah, and Data could still be there, even if not in a central role, but married with Quark’s grand daughter and selling detective stories in a new kind of flying bar-holodeck ( what ? why do you all say “nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !”)

[quote=“Hopfrog”][quote=“hansioux”]https://youtu.be/ZzwwfrM4wSE?t=12m4s

A young man speaking about how TNG helped him at Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2014. Hopefully the new Trek show can carry that torch.[/quote]

Thanks for the link !

What I would personnally like to see is the old Star Trek timeline but with a BSG “treatment”. (By the way isn’t what Moore wanted to do with Voyager and got kicked for that ?)
Not the same things of course but something like a real odyssey. Things getting old and/or with real technical enhancements (you can apprehend visually) that really has impact on a long storyline, a real evolution in characters and relationships, etc.

Ah, and Data could still be there, even if not in a central role, but married with Quark’s grand daughter and selling detective stories in a new kind of flying bar-holodeck ( what ? why do you all say “nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !”)[/quote]

I’m a BSG fan as well, so I can get on board with that idea. However, the BSG format is basically LOST, only replacing the island with space. They try to focus on tension and conflicts and have very little time to discuss a topic. Maybe they can make it work, since in the first 2.5 seasons, BSG did explore many complicated morality issues. Although it had to try so hard to dig itself out of all the holes in the plot by the end, that aspect of the show was basically out the window.

I had imagined a Firefly version of Trek, where the main crew is a group of ex-Maquis, who witness their home destroyed with biogenic weapons by Captain Sisko in the episode For the Uniform. After the ultimate defeat of the Maquis by the Dominion, the disenchanted crew began wandering in space, taking questionable jobs, and gives the Federation and Cardassians hell whenever possible. It would be a whole new angle to look in to the future.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Hopfrog”][quote=“hansioux”]https://youtu.be/ZzwwfrM4wSE?t=12m4s

Thanks for the link !

Ah, and Data could still be there, even if not in a central role, but married with Quark’s grand daughter and selling detective stories in a new kind of flying bar-holodeck ( what ? why do you all say “nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !”)[/quote]

I’m a BSG fan as well, so I can get on board with that idea. However, the BSG format is basically LOST, only replacing the island with space. They try to focus on tension and conflicts and have very little time to discuss a topic. Maybe they can make it work, since in the first 2.5 seasons, BSG did explore many complicated morality issues. Although it had to try so hard to dig itself out of all the holes in the plot by the end, that aspect of the show was basically out the window.

I had imagined a Firefly version of Trek, where the main crew is a group a ex-Maquis, who witness their home destroyed with biogenic weapons by Captain Sisko in the episode For the Uniform. After the ultimate defeat of the Maquis by the Dominion, the disenchanted crew began wandering in space, taking questionable jobs, and gives the Federation and Cardassians hell whenever possible. It would be a whole new angle to look in to the future.[/quote]

Yes, it was the parts when they keep the “one episode, one moralilty/political/religious etc. issue” while keeping an elaborate though not too complicated arch storyline that I was talking about. I should have been more precise in my last post

As for a Firely (or Cowboy Bebop) version, I also find this very appealing but in that case, in my humble point of view, they should be careful to hire oustanding dialog writers since Firefly scripts are simply Gems of wit and fun and fans would inevitably make comparaisons. And CB ones are carefully crafted and very stylish in the cool/trashy domain

But we would be navigating at some very high level of skills there I think and by expecting too much we might be very disappointed in the end ! haha
Let’s hope CBS wants to make this series their “loss Leader” product in order to attract consumers…

So say we all !

[quote=“Hopfrog”]
So say we all ![/quote]

:bravo:

frak, I miss BSG… too bad they actually didn’t have a plan at the end :stuck_out_tongue:

I would like to see ST reimagined. What worked in the 1960’s looks schlocky and comic-book-y today. For example, while I understand the dramatic reasons behind having humanoid aliens, the result is hard to take seriously as science-fiction anymore. But what if “Spock” looked more like the Horta? How would that change all their inter-relationships? Similarly, Mr. Data was hardly any more serious of a treatment of AI than the decades of earlier robot characters.

Trek has its share of non-humanoid aliens.

Species 8472 for example,

or Ba’neth

Both I think looks pretty awesome for aliens.

There are plenty of aliens who only took shape of humans to facilitate communication. Q, Founders (Changeling, shape shifters from DS9), Caretakers (from Voyager), Kelvans, and the Prophets ( Wormhole Aliens from DS9).

The goal of Trek is to tell stories, and when non-whimsical, Trek likes to do stories based on social issues, philosophical ideas, and moral dilemmas. It really isn’t about coming up with never seen before aliens. The aliens are there to serve as a mirror to our problems here on earth right now.

Non-humanoid lifeforms, like the Horta, would usually present a difficulty to communicate, are usually the bad guy of the week.

Q and the Holodeck served a similar function–as a handy excuse to have adventures in other settings, like the time of Robin Hood. (On TOS it would have been a planet which coincidentally happened to look like some well-known earth setting.) Another trope which TNG frequently returned to was the visiting relative. I think we met multiple relatives of every single character, even the android! Man From Atlantis did the same sort of stories, despite ostensibly being about an amphibious amnesiac.

I like the really goofy TOS-POS episodes–you know, where they’d be fired on by a mysterious spaceship, then get a message (“Put in on screen, Lieutenant”), which would seque into a cackling Easter Bunny or something.

[quote=“Zla’od”] like the time of Robin Hood. (On TOS it would have been a planet which coincidentally happened to look like some well-known earth setting.)

I like the really goofy TOS-POS episodes–you know, where they’d be fired on by a mysterious spaceship, then get a message (“Put in on screen, Lieutenant”), which would seque into a cackling Easter Bunny or something.[/quote]

The Prophets on occasions served to take the plot into another setting, but in DS9’s cases, most of them were rather serious, and usually inside someone’s head. There was one that talked about slave labour, one that talked about how to uphold justice under unjust leadership, and one that talked about racism (Far Beyond the Stars).

The Robin Hood one is already very goofy. I hope there will be no more lizard babies of main cast members in the future series…

I am kind of enthusiastic. Still I guess it will be like Abrams’ kiddie trek. Which comes across to me as entertaining action SciFi but somehow not the real deal. Still better than nothing.

In kiddie Trek, we’ll never get to see an episode about two non-corporeal immortal omnipotent beings debating the morality of suicide (Death Wish, VOY).

I remember that, now that you mention it. Yes, we will rather see bling bling which is nice during the first viewing when one tends to ignore the nagging brain pointing out illogical stuff. But kind of gets much worse during the 2nd viewing.

Well, I guess we will see another crew with another ship, probably close to some uncharted area of space where finally the aliens are more like Nazis or religious fanatics. Which gives plenty of time for some nice battle scenes and phaser effects. Needles to say the enemy will look human and their home planet has one single culture everywhere.

We’ll see plenty of planet missions where the whole friggin’ planet consists of a single village which then needs to be saved by time travel fixing the holographic sewers which otherwise will spread a nasty computer virus into the holo(?) village.

No wait, they can’t do all that again, can they?
Maybe they will surprise us all pleasantly… :pray:

They have over 300 books in the TOS universe alone. Granted, around number 135 things get a bit… weird, but repetitive, nope. I guess it is like the DC Universe: awesome in a certain format -awesome animated stories-… and a disaster when they try to make them with real life actors.

I am a big TOS fan. Loved the animated series. Loved most of the books. I hated TNG -it was like saccharine… and I am allergic to artificial sweeteners. It was like a vegan gluten free tamal. But at that time we had not much. It was to keep Star Trek alive. DS9 was so much better, though I did not see much of it, and I loved VOY in spite of its faults many. But we are back again with the reboot movies almost trespassing into saccharine territory…

Recently CBS had accepted a pitch from a fan. I wonder how much of that pitch is included in the new series. None? Some?
http://screencrush.com/star-trek-tv-return-pitch-uncharted/

The pitch seems to fit to the Abramsverse reboot, while the author claims it would fit to both the original and the Abrams’ timeline.

The sentence: [quote]A new USS Enterprise is built. It is the first ship to bear the name since the original Enterprise was destroyed in the Galactic War.[/quote] … however sounds very much like Abramsverse 200 years in the future or a timeline of its own.

Side note, the DC TV show the Flash seems to be pretty great, so I’ve heard anyway…

[quote=“Icon”]
I am a big TOS fan. Loved the animated series. Loved most of the books. I hated TNG -it was like saccharine… and I am allergic to artificial sweeteners. It was like a vegan gluten free tamal. But at that time we had not much. It was to keep Star Trek alive. DS9 was so much better, though I did not see much of it, and I loved VOY in spite of its faults many. But we are back again with the reboot movies almost trespassing into saccharine territory…[/quote]

Most Trek series were pretty much terrible through out the first 3 seasons. There are brilliant episode in the first 3 seasons, such as the Voyager season 2 episode Death Wish I just mentioned, or DS9 season 1 episode Duet, but the seasons on their own are often almost unbearable. I hope the new Trek would not have this problem, because I don’t think the fans are as lenient as they used to be. It only takes one episode like Encounter at Farpoint, Move Along Home, or Threshold for people to abandon ship.

I had to google up Threshold an MoveAlongHome, but yes, those are horrible, horrible episodes. Voy:Threshold is even considered non-canon by many fans. :slight_smile: Was the episode with the big lizard as the epitome of evolution, right?

Yup, that’s what I was referencing when I said no more lizard babies…

The premise of the episode is that when you break the Warp 10 barrier, the person travelling at warp 10 is literally at everywhere at the same time. The side effect is that afterwards the person devolves into a lizard… WTF?

Should have done that in a funny way. Like Janeway and Paris coming out of the shuttle being stoned after having reached Warp 10 and Tom saying: “Wooooooaaah, that stuff is great. … Saw you turning into a lizard thingy during the ride.”

Never mind. I am very cheerful I can finally nag about a new Star Trek series, even before we know its contents. Much better than nagging about not having one :wink:

[quote=“bob_honest”]Should have done that in a funny way. Like Janeway and Paris coming out of the shuttle being stoned after having reached Warp 10 and Tom saying: “Wooooooaaah, that stuff is great. … Saw you turning into a lizard thingy during the ride.”
[/quote]

Yup, that would have been a much better episode… although it then wouldn’t discourage the crew from going Warp 10… it may actually encourage them to do so…

Does anyone remember the Voyager episode Course: Oblivion? It showed up on some “Worst Trek Episode” list, and I have always found it to be an amazing episode.