What are your best cocktails?

It is! When I was drinking mint juleps I made a batch every year :slight_smile: Saw a shipment of Kentucky Gentleman at Carrefour today, I instinctively lurched to grab a couple of bottles :slight_smile:

Good to have a big box on your balcony (see above)

1 Like

My basil is growing out of control, so I’m toying with the idea of a gin and basil smash.

It sounds a bit unpleasant, so I’m not sure.

Can you post some recipes?

Gin and tonic is my go to party drink. It’s hard to mess it up.

I also like mojito, pina colada, and Long Island iced tea.

1 Like

@Bu_Lai_En made me and the great @tigerman mojitos yars ago in my flat in San Xia, and they are still the best cocktails I’ve ever had.

2 Likes

Brian was the cocktail king

How about gin ice cold and a spoonful of Spanish olive water/juice as a dirty martini?

2 Likes

You need a bit of vermouth.

2 Likes

The ready made margarita from Costco, straight out of the bottle. KISS

I wondered to myself, hmm, just how long does that last in the fridge? The answer initially made me think “Oh good!” but quickly shifted to “Oh no.”

• How long do ready-to-drink margaritas last in the refrigerator once opened? Ready-to-drink margaritas that have been continuously refrigerated will typically keep at best quality for about 4 to 6 months after opening.

Iced black or Vietnamese coffee with a shot of Frangelico.

Ice cold gin poured over fruit gelato /sherbet.

Little kid’s sippy cup full of kaoliang.52 (I call that one the “long story”)

1 Like

Sure, but these are all pretty standard cocktails. Do you have any requests?

I made this basil cocktail when I lived in Thailand, with the Mekhong rum which tastes much like a whiskey.

3 Likes

Yes! Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find Frangelico here, at least in the places I’ve looked in Taoyuan.

It’s only 1.75l… It won’t last long even if you’re a light drinker. Good stuff for lockdown lechery.

2 Likes

How about the mojito recipe? I’ve only rarely had a good one in bars, so I’m guessing there’s a certain skill to it. My own effort wasn’t great either.

Some of it boils down to personal taste and specific ingredients. When I started making cocktails I would use the IBA recipe from Wikipedia as a starting point and put it in a spreadsheet, adjusting the mix until I liked it. Do you like it minty, or boozy, or sweet? That will determine what is a “good” mix for you. Here is the mojito recipe I’ve kept in my spreadsheet, although the drinks in my recent pic were from my buddy’s recipe book so slightly different.

Mojito
• 2 ounces rum
• .5 ounces syrup
• 1 lime
• soda
• mint leaves

In the bottom of a highball glass, muddle 3 lime quarters with 12 mint leaves and sugar. Fill glass with ice, add rum, and top with soda. Garnish with remaining lime wedge and a mint sprig.

Limes are key to many cocktails. Not the easiest things to find in Taiwan. I get mine from the SE Asian shops.

It’s been very easy at wet markets for years. “無子檸檬”

2 Likes

Mine has been offering the little bags of lemon grass, galangal, coriander etc for a while, but I still find limes are a bit sporadic.

Anyway, I find them to be guaranteed at the SE Asian shops. And they are also great quality, like proper limes.

1 Like

It’s just an ordinary Taiwanese food item I can find at most fruit and vegetable stalls around these parts, has been for years. Not sure if you have some different expectation, but these are thin-skinned, green-fleshed, seedless, limey limes!

1 Like