What are Your Favourite Vegetarian Food Items, that are Available in Taiwan?

Taj has a vegetarian menu. Paneer sak is good as well as aloo gobi.
I love Toasteria’s hummus and shakshuka.
Waypoint Sante is a great health food cafe w veg menu. I highly recommend.

2 Likes

The vegetarian restaurant in Sogo 汉来蔬食SOGO忠孝店 has very nice food. Not cheap but not expensive. I’m not a vegetarian but it was very tasty.

1 Like

Vietnamese shops also tend to have nice veg options that are fresh vegetables and spices, a not so common local thing as far as fresh lettuce and muptiple spices to flavor. If you don’t have subway, check out the Vietnamese girls doing wraps and sub sandwiches.

1 Like

If you’re in Taipei City near the East District or Xinyi District, I would recommend the veggie sandwich (“Le basilic”) from one of the two Robuchon take-out locations: on the same level as Dintaifeng in the basement of Fuxing Sogo, or on the third floor of Bellavita steps from Taipei City Hall MRT Station. These sandwiches will set you back around NT$200. They are an absolute delight and in my view worth every dollar.

Guy

1 Like

Love vegetarian but the oily, salty, MSG infused, questionably sourced vegetables from places like Changhua kind of scare me.

It’s very easy to be vegetarian in Taiwan. But healthy eating is questionable.

I’ve learned to not confuse vegetarian food with healthy eating, which is two different things in Taiwan.

stank dou fu.

Someone you know or just met?

Exactly. Know the farmer. Most of the age guys I know tend to settle on a 5kg of pesticides/herbicides per person per year.

Nothing from changhua is clean. Generally the concept of clean or organic food from the west is a fantasy (or a lie). The east coast isn’t super clean either but it’s high mountain or east for the cleaner stuff

Could someone please translate/write in Chinese/English this breakfast item name? Google translate fails to identify characters in this image.

蔬菜抓餅 Shūcài zhuā bǐng

Like a vegetable crepe.

1 Like

Never heard of a zhuabing with any vegetables other than green onions. Is this a thing now?

It had cabbage, tomato and some corn.

Sounds interesting (except for the corn). Where do they sell it?

I really like 蘿蔔糕。I’m not familiar with vegetables. What is “white carrot” 白蘿蔔 English? Radish?

I feel like tomatoe is the weird ingredient here

Yeah, seems like it may have too much water in it, but I guess it depends on how you cook it. Maybe use sun-dried tomatoes?

In the U.S., they’re usually called daikon, which is just the Japanese term for 白蘿蔔.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of any recipes saying they use the ingredient daikon in the US. Or seen it in any super market. But then again I don’t eat much vegetables. I thought they were radishes

Technically they’re a type of radish, but we usually just call the little red ones radishes.

I thought those were yams until now

:joy:

Now I’m confused on what yams are.