What are your thoughts on No Swimming in Taiwan?

Either I’m not part of the younger generations (which I am) or you were told wrong. This is not true.

Yeah he’s probably basing it off Taipei city schools.

1 Like

Kids learn to swim at school starting in Elementary.

Maybe you ain’t as young as you think.

1 Like

It’s the opposite to the ‘No Fishing’ sign, no one gives a shit.

Anyways, 52 years ago we had weekly swimming classes at elementary school, at age 7 I got the 25m, age 8 the 50m badge, at age 9 I got the half hour swimming badge.

Taiwan being an island has been really retarded when it came to swimming, luckily it’s changing.

Sitting in a pool of water in a mountain creek is not swimming.

I’m afraid of swimming in polluted water and that is what I see at Kenting. Penghu has some really pretty beaches. https://vitalpenghu.wordpress.com/beaches/

It’s the opposite to the ‘No Fishing’ sign, no one gives a shit.

No one gives a shit about no swimming signs or no fishing signs?

No fishing!

Well at least they stopped dynamiting.

#progress

Since when?

How the fuck would I know??

They don’t have swimming classes in our local school in xinbei, at least for the first few grades!

1 Like

You might have to wait until you’re in Grade 3 or 4, little fella.

No they don’t. And as I have a child that was in Grade 2 just 2 years ago I’m positive that they don’t. Some schools that have access to pools might have this however it is not something that is across the board with every school across the island.

1 Like

Sanxia just built a new sports center, including swimming pool I heard. Probably swimming classes will be easy now as it’s municipal.

He he

1 Like

Is it already open? Where is it?

I imagine that many instructors are at least halfway decent and can teach basic swimming so that your kid is safe. But after that, I would be very picky about the instructor you choose because many are just poor or very, very average swimmers. I have been shocked more than once seeing some incredibly bad form from an instructor. You can learn some bad habits that are very difficult to fix. Swimming is somewhat unique in that way.

At a certain stage, you might want an instructor who has actually done some competitive swimming. Real swimming (real freestyle, real breaststroke) is counterintuitive and unnatural in many ways. Check out the high elbow, minimal use of legs, even the nice sound on entry of this great long-distance swimmer.

Interesting - it looks like she’s doing a bit of an S-pull (rather than straight back); that’s something I learned decades ago, but I gather it’s fallen out of favour.

Every so often I’ll read things about improving my stroke: things like that straight pull, or doing a dolphin kick off the wall. Maybe I’m just not determined enough, but I’ll try those and it’ll mess up my stroke and I’ll give up and go back to what I’ve always done.

I’m curious how good stroke technique is taught. I don’t remember it happening to me; I just remember my coach, in the first year on a swim team, telling me I already had good freestyle. I assume the years on the team improved things somewhat, but the original form came from somewhere else, and I don’t know where.

The flip turns in the video made me wonder what my turns look like these days. My stroke still “feels” good, so I’m probably at least OK for the swimming; but I wasn’t that good at flip turns back when I was on a team, and now it’s several decades later.

Yes, the S pull is out now. She’s doing a high elbow (early vertical forearm). The idea is to start pulling back on the water as soon as possible. She has what would be considered an extreme EVF. Most of us normal folks go down a bit straight arm before getting the high elbow. And most of us have one arm that’s much better than the other.

Check out Sun Yang (1500m world record holder) and all others employing the extreme EVF.

I think I finally have the flip turn. It’s hard here in Taiwan because you’re often sharing the lane with others, but I think I finally do have it down. It’s not the classic flip turn (pushing off while on your back and doing a full turn onto your stomach), but it’s not too far from that (I go a little to my side right from the get-go, but some athletes do that too, though).

Good luck with the form. There’s always work to do and that’s actually what I like about swimming.

has anyone heard about this news? https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3488608
it seems clear, here if they let anyone swim, there has to be lifeguard watching them, otherwise case like this will happen.