What books are appropriate for children?

It’s all NPR.

Maybe nothing. maybe something.

Ask him. :idunno:

There’s a reason they put Opinion in front. Should be a good indicator. I also don’t read WSJ for the opinion pieces.

I pointed you before to the TAS thread not just so that we could have the discussion there and not derail the topic of this thread, but so you could see the discussion there about the books I’m talking about and get more context. None of the books I have experienced were nearly as bad as Gender Queer or Lawn Boy. Many, in and of themselves, are not bad and I have no problem with my kids reading them as part of a broader curriculum with proper context. The problem is the context in which the books are taught and the overwhelmingly purpose driven they are to conform to the Jedi committee’s goals (America is evil, western culture is evil, race is the most important defining characteristic of one’s experience, etc.). Most times I never know the books names as my kids (and their friends) are relating to me what they’ve been taught. Other times I get a book, skim read it in 20-45 minutes, and make a ruling yes or no. The title is not important to what I’m doing.

2 Likes

Perhaps this would be easier to understand if you didn’t continually misrepresent what I said, despite my repeatedly correcting you.

For the record.

When I asked you to clarify, you said:

So that led me to believe that your concerns about leftist propaganda, America is evil, race above everything (honestly these don’t all seem connected to me) would be so common in books written over the last 15 years that you’d actually have to go through that much work to vet them and want to avoid them all together. I can get vetting books for age appropriateness. I do the same thing and I don’t put a limit on when they were published. But vetting them for leftist propaganda is where I concluded perhaps the Daily Wire isn’t so healthy after all.

Free speech is great but what sort of impact are these news sources that aggregate the most outrageous content they can find having on our society? Are they really creating a platform as an opposing voice? Or are they purposefully creating divisions where they maybe don’t exist for the purpose of profit? We’re all parents (ok not all of us). We all have the same concerns. We’re not that much different - left, right, center.

Also not advocating for cancelling them so don’t misunderstand on that. Just think it’s unhealthy.

Yes, and notice the distinct difference between what I said, elaborated on, elaborated again, and elaborated more and what you have falsely stated over and over.

Yet you can’t name any of said trash that would necessitate extra vetting that you would be doing anyway because of the age factor (not the Leftist propaganda factor). Please see previous comment about the impact of political news aggregator websites on society.

I’ve provided a lot of examples of the content in the TAS thread. So basically all you have is the implication that I’m a liar because I don’t know the titles of the books and your personal attacks on my mental health.

1 Like

Even after reposting those quotes the point still stands that if you really have to vet books that much, not because of the age factor, but because of wokeness you would expect it to be more prevalent. The fact you can’t easily name examples of books or the one you did mention wasn’t accurate (i.e. not about gender transition at all if the title Biggus Dickus provided is correct) is precisely why I think wokeness is the least of our worries despite being the top of the conservative agenda/Facebook feed.

Either way I’m not accusing you of being a liar or mentally ill. Millions of people read conservative news sources/aggregators like the Daily Wire and buy into the right wing populism war on woke. They can’t all be mentally ill, but that doesn’t mean the McCarthy-like paranoia around leftist propaganda is warranted either.

In the TAS thread I provide specific sources and information about what the goals of the Oppression Task Force and the JEDI committee are and what materials they recommend and use to train teachers with. I disagree with the goals. The books they recommend all (virtually all) further those goals. I vet them to see which ones are ok, and supplement with the classics which have goals I believe in.

This has been explained ad nauseum…I don’t understand what you don’t understand.

Yes, my description was accurate.

No, you believe it and have repeatedly distorted and misrepresented everything to fit that belief.

That’s one way to describe disagreeing with the batshit insane philosophy of TAS. I think merely looking to get my kids a more rounded reading world is a quite tame response.

I’m fascinated that there’s even a discussion about what books any kid at an age that can read a book should be reading at all.

My sisters and I were reading all sorts of books that mom recently (in the past 2-3 years; we’re all long graduated from college) finally picked up to read. She was shocked to realize we were reading all sorts of books when we were in late elementary and middle school that would be considered appropriate at maybe a late senior high or college level. There was plenty of sex, rape, kidnapping, violence, etc. (some of it towards children), but there also wasn’t anyone breathing down my neck, telling me what I was supposed to think about the content. I read pretty much everything. Stories about white boys or black girls didn’t make me feel excluded because I wasn’t self aware enough to even realize the protagonist wasn’t “like me”.

The thing about reading books for pleasure is that you can walk away with your own ideas. I’ve gone back and read books I last read in third grade and they mean something very different to me now that I’ve got a few more years on my life. A lot of the less appropriate books I read in middle school went right over my head at that time. If you want your kids to learn things, just expose them to books. Encourage them to read, without your judgement. They’ll figure things out just fine.

3 Likes

That makes it very different than what is happening at TAS, where the lessons of the books is discussed in depth and crammed down the kids’ throats.

This is a luxury that my kids no longer have as the school pushes racial essentialism and identitarianism.

The problem is the books the school assigns or recommends to the kids, not what they choose themselves. In fact, one of my kids’ teachers has repeatedly rejected that kids’ choices for not having enough emphasis on social issues or racial issues. I had to write the teacher a note to say that, yes, in fact it is fine for my daughter to read a children’s version of the Iliad.

I love this. That was my childhood too. Read what you f@cking like. It’s your life. I read Ivanhoe when I was 10. I didn’t start holding witch trials or harbouring anti-Semitic thoughts.

3 Likes

You are doing the right thing. Children are supposed to be taught how to think, not what to think.

3 Likes

I don’t find this to be an accurate description of gender transition at all. So you mean like Mulan?

It’s either misleading or overly sensitive to woke leftist propaganda.

To respond to the original question, maybe this?

That’s interesting because I rarely know the race of the character I’m reading about. Most authors fail to describe them beyond relatively ambiguous things like “black hair” and “almond-shaped eyes”. I have white friends that fit that description, but they could be taking about an Asian person…

Find a balance. If they’re reading more modern books at school, seek out some classics to have at home. You’re not going to be well-rounded or even considered “well-educated” if you only get references to book written 200 or more years ago or only modern books.

How many books are they reading? I feel like we only read a handful of books/year when I was in elementary and middle school. Even AP English couldn’t have been more than a novel or so a month. That’s not actually a lot of total books. Plenty of room to follow ones own passions

Interesting. I read a book called “Riding Freedom” where a girl escapes from something bad and pretends to be a boy and then a man for the rest of her life. My sister asked me a few weeks ago if the book was still at my parents house because she had realized that might have been the first book any of us had ever read that had a trans main character. Again, totally, completely, 100% over my head as a kid.

Hmmm, I wonder what the problem in your reasoning is? I’ll give you a hint…you’ve made the same mistake about 10 times in this thread already.