What books are appropriate for children?

@Malasang88 provided the it’s not true comment. You’re doing the it’s not a big deal thing.

I’m discussing the specific examples. Do you think they, specifically, are as big a deal as it’s being made out?

For the third time, I can easily believe there are much worse ones out there.

Neither do I. But aren’t those characters in their late teens? I mean, if they’ve been masturbating for years …

You’re missing the point. You want that stuff, go to the public library or Barnes and Nobel. Shouldn’t be in a school. Kids won’t get whatever the message is. I used to know which page Holden Caulfield said Fuck was on, bc I was a seventh grader, teeheeehee

You know you’re agreeing with me, yeah?

Well, okay, reasonable opinions on school libraries can vary. But there’s nothing here more explicit than what I could get my hands on in a school library thirty years ago, so …

Perhaps relatedly, the contrast in Amazon reviews for that book from the US and internationally is pretty striking:

https://www.amazon.com/Gender-Queer-Memoir-Maia-Kobabe/dp/1549304003

Am I? In that case I’m unsure what you’re suggesting, or what you think I am.

I didn’t suggest anything. I stated that:

You’re doing the it’s not a big deal thing.

Really, tell me the name of a book that illustrated kids giving kids blowjobs 30 years ago. I was in grad school, so missed out.

That may be the algorithm messing with you. :wink:

I’m not sure about illustrated, but I remember one that had a teenager having sex with adults on a spaceship. I can’t remember the name, or anything else about it except that someone kept talking about breadboards.

One of the Danielle Steele (I think) books went into great detail on a guy being dominated by his bored wife. That sort of thing.

I think we started discovering them when we were 15-16 or so, but presumably they had been there before that.

Dozed off for a bit and getting back to this. Have we really not come up with any examples yet? What I’m seeing are examples from the news which was my whole point on criticizing the Daily Wire. I’m sure you’ll find something questionable somewhere, but taking that and blowing it up to it’s happening in all literature over the past 15 years is a bit of a stretch.

I would expect you would be encountering this all the time and could easily recall the titles of books you (@jdsmith and @Mithrandir) personally encountered.

I was genuinely curious about what books you were seeing with your own children/teaching.

This is all I got.

Reading up on this now. Based on a true story. Still missing the gender transition part. Looks interesting though.

Cue next comment from Biggus Dickus.

I’m sorry you felt the need to read DS. lol

In Stephen King’s IT, one kid shows another kid how to jerk off and suggests “putting it in my mouth.” I get how certain stuff slips through, but it’s not integral to the story. A nonbinary queer whathaveyou guy who is so far out of the mainstream writing a book with such limited reach and having so much attention given to it could only have occurred in the technoabyss that is the internet.

It’s a good thing I don’t get my news from opinion pieces! Boy would I be in trouble.

And I told you why. They weren’t famous people reading famous books. I can barely remember kids names when I don’t see them for a few years. I meet dozens and dozens of new kids every year. S’not like I’m lying or being disingenuous when I say I can’t recall the name of some oddball social justice book geared to the black and brown kid market. :idunno:

I don’t think you’re lying. I think you genuinely believe it’s a problem. The fact you said oddball is probably telling that these examples are few and far between.

I saw the same thing with CRT. The same examples repeated over and over. Why were parents in Kentucky getting so upset about it? It’s Kentucky for Christ sakes! But the news repeats it over and over, it’s the only thing you see on your Facebook feed and suddenly it’s a problem every where (cue Biggus Dickus).

I am not convinced it rises to the level of crisis it’s made out to be. I’m trying to understand why others feel it is impacting their own personal lives/experience.

3 Likes

I’d suggest that it may have only been on the school’s book list to begin with because it won an ALA award in 2020, but I assume that would just constitute proof that the ALA has been overtaken by the progressive pedophile agenda.

But anyway. I honestly do have a problem with some of the stuff I’ve seen in the media, generally just like a cellphone photo a parent took of a page, which looks both age-inappropriate and gender-identity-obsessed to me. And I don’t think this sort of thing should be in the curriculum unless it’s, like, social studies in 10th grade or something. But if that stuff is publicly available, I haven’t seen it, hence my original comment about publishing.

Still, I’m pretty okay with school libraries just being libraries, with as many books on as many things as possible.

2 Likes

I’d guess it’s because it’s confusing to a lot of kids, like the girl who told me and my colleague last month that she’s a boy, when clearly, physically, she’s not. And we reward her for her confidence. :crazy_face:

I’m not sure what that has to do with books. Maybe its influence from the parents. Maybe she’s always felt that way. I don’t know, but if it were me I wouldn’t feel it my place to shun her either and remind her she sits down to pee.

What I keep coming back to is Mithrandir saying he won’t let his kids read a book from the past 15 years. I feel more concerned about the influence the news may be having on Mithrandir than I do about woke leftist books my children might come across. Especially because the example given had nothing to do with gender transition or leftist propaganda or wokesim at all. Maybe it was inappropriate for an age group (I think?), but that’s a different issue more likely on a teacher/school than a societal problem.

1 Like