• abuse of power
  • extreme policing actions
  • poverty
  • unemployment
  • the 1%
  • etc.

A classic!

1 Like

Really enjoyed the first 2 in this Follett series and looking forward to next 2.

1 Like

It must be nice to be in a series you enjoy and have two more whole books to read. :banana:

3 Likes

I ended up getting a used hardcover version. Opened it and itā€™s an original print with an inscription by one of the translators. kewl.

2 Likes

Will check it out, heā€™s a good writer.

I thought you were referring to Bolton. :runaway:

2 Likes

Oh, thank you for making me have a second look at what he was replying to! Iā€™d spent a few seconds trying to ascertain the level of irony for complimenting Boltonā€™s writing, but soon gave up.

1 Like

Iā€™m kind of bouncing around whatever during the turn of the 18th century. And the ebooks are free.

Not into horror but itā€™s in the top 100 of the time and itā€™s a short read.

The Monk: A Romance, is a Gothic horror novel by Matthew Gregory Lewis, published in 1796.

2 Likes

The Monk was a great book one of my all time favorites.

Started The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole. Generally regarded as the first gothic novel. First published in 1764.

5125wjr4csL.SX331_BO1,204,203,200

1 Like
1 Like

I think I read that book in my teens. The cover looks wonderfully enticing.

I just saw it was in the top 100 in the 21st century so give it a shot. Didnā€™t realize it was already 10 years old.

Itā€™s Academia about the Bible that hasnā€™t really changed in a thousand plus years well except a little.

Published February 23rd 2009 by HarperCollins (NY) (first published February 20th 2009

I loved Misquoting Jesus.

What do you mean by that? In the last half century weā€™ve had the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Ugaritic tablets.

I didnā€™t really mean anything but I think I was being sarcastic.

images

Very readable like a fiction story but itā€™s not fiction.

2 Likes