What Books Are You Reading?

Has anyone read Decayed Lust, or either of the other two in the series that Chung Wenyin wrote? Any thoughts?

3inuru9k2a191

You’re being reported to the authoritays… :policeman:

1 Like

Reading this. As it says, its about how Peron brought the Nazi war criminals to Argentina, setting up the rat lines. The most shocking stuff is how complicit Peron regime was(they even funded peoples transport) and how involved the vatican wastop level cardinals, reporting directly to the Pope).

I read this out of morbid curiosity when it first came out. It confirmed the assumption I had throughout his reign that the “dumb guy” thing was a very clever charade. I don’t remember the details too well now though.

1 Like

2 Likes

I was curious and decided to read the description. Although I don’t necessarily disagree with the premise, this part struck me as unfair:

“…most young people in the United States do not read literature, visit museums, or vote. They cannot explain basic scientific methods, recount basic American history, name their local political representatives, or locate Iraq or Israel on a map.”

Can’t this same thing be said for most Americans of all generations? I’m sure all those points apply to all generations here in Britain too (even when replacing “American history” with “British history”).

4 Likes

I started at the Online learning stuff. Dunno if tech ed has caught up, but none of the studies they saw in 2009 supported tech in classrooms as beneficial to reading or math. Kids have the tech and the desire to communicate with their friends, but lack the verbal/social skills to do so— apparently.

Other books I picked up last weekend:

1 Like

The geography part, yes.

Even our own geography. Most Americans of all generations won’t be able to tell your where most US states are.

Lack of self-consciousness is a fruit of being a superpower.

It’s amazing how old people only read non-fiction.

Let me know how “the only good indians” is. I’ve heard good things about it.

1 Like

The hell are you on about? Half the books I put up are fiction. :crazy_face:

Also, younger folks read fiction so they can feel life is predictable and makes sense. I prefer the world as it is, warts and all. Sigh :disappointed:

1 Like

It’s amazing how young people misread small samples and believe with confidence that they understand the world

Just kidding, not all young people. But if one person does the same thing repeatedly, a limited conclusion could be drawn…

1 Like

Triumph of the City sounds interesting. I used to work with an Australian guy in Taichung who’d gesture expansively and say, “You see all this? This is the future of humanity!”

Living as I do in the FREAKING WOODS now I kind of get his point. The countryside is emptying out, many of the villages are almost empty, and the future seems to be in whatever metropolis is nearest. More money, more opportunities, more everything.

I’ve been reading a history of California. Can’t remember the name of the book, but it’s impressively written. The early parts about the lives Americans led in Spanish/Mexican California reminded me a lot of expats in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Most of the great ideas and technology comes from cities and the meeting of minds and shared destinies.

I read one-fiction and one non-fiction, in that order

1 Like

Tolstoy, as an older man, was once asked why he didn’t write more fiction. He replied that, after a certain age, it became hard to take seriously the deep feelings of Miss Anna for Master Nikolai.

1 Like