What Books Are You Reading?

I think that goes to my point. Fiction provides order and closure that some people have a difficult time finding irl.

I have never read fiction my whole life unless it was assigned (and even that only about half the time). I respect fiction but thereā€™s so much stuff in the world to learn.

You canā€™t have art without science and vice-versa

Thatā€™s a weird way to see fiction, imo. Some writers are 5th degree black belts in literacy and syntax. Sci-fi is great. Time travel fiction is pretty cool. More words in more ways helps us describe what we see in the way we see it. I donā€™t get that from Condi Riceā€™s excellent book on the Cold War.

1 Like

I know itā€™s important. Dostoyevsky and Dumas have been on my list forever. I just canā€™t get to them.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s mostly straight men. Women of all ages read fiction.

Started this at work. Really good stuff. The totally foreign mindset of borderline poor people in China on full display.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what this means. Are you implying that women donā€™t read non-fiction?

1 Like

this looks good

I love fiction, itā€™s a great tool for exploring the human condition. Stories are good ways to communicate complex ideas.

Then again, Im a licensed Language Arts teacher so I might be a bit biased :joy:

Iā€™ve been reading novels nonstop since I was like 7

2 Likes

No. I am implying that men tend to read less fiction. Itā€™s market observation, not me hating men.

That makes no sense. Not every novel has a love story attached.

Men reading more non-fiction than women makes sense. I used to read nearly all fiction until my mid-20ā€™s though

There was a time I thought you couldnā€™t really learn much from reading fiction.

But I was wrong.

Fiction helps expand the inner eye, soul, brain. And helps with creativity. It helps with learning history and social interaction of different types of people of all levels of society and history. So much more.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I quite understand. No, Iā€™m sure I donā€™t quite understand.

ā€œWang plunges us into the fictional Chinese village of Xinchun and beyond to explore themes of tradition, family, modernity, and immigration in a country grappling with its modern identity. Further News of Defeat is rich with characters who have known struggle and defeat and who find themselves locked in pivotal moments of Chinese historyā€

https://www.autumnhouse.org/books/further-news-of-defeat/

The characters are insane and their common culture is repulsive, corrupt and demeaning. But hey, I donā€™t understand Chinese culture.

Just reading this fictionā€¦ from W. Somerset Maugham, The Vessel of Wrath.

"What? Well, mystery and beauty, romance and the glamour of the unknown. It is no common book that offers you casually turning its pages such a paragraph as this: "Supplies. A few jungle fowl are preserved, the island is also the resort of vast numbers of sea birds. Turtle are found in the lagoon, as well as quantities of various fish, including grey mullet, shark, and dog-fish; the seine cannot be used with any effect; but there is a fish which may be taken on a rod. A small store of tinned provisions and spirits is kept in a hut for the relief of shipwrecked persons. Good water may be obtained from a well near the landing-place.

Can the imagination want more material than this to go on a journey through time and space?"

Joseph Campbell bio led me to Krishnamirti. The other is home work.

1 Like

And then? How dat and dem?

Are those your top 13?

Nah, that wall changes all the time. The JJ Cale went up just now.

1 Like