What Books Are You Reading?

Is it better than the movie? I hated the movie.

I liked the movie when I saw it like 8 years ago.

The book is good. Iā€™m about a third through it. Nothing that will end up on my all-time favorites list, but diverting enough.

1 Like

In my endeavor to read out of my wheelhouse fiction, I present:

Itā€™s a bit woke and intersectional, but very well written for, I will assume, a literary crowd. Sheā€™s smart, well read, and writes smoothly. About 1/3 of the way in. :+1:

Thatā€™s some high praise.

1 Like

It really is. Iā€™m not a big fiction reader because most of it is English teachers writing on the side.

Sheā€™s good. No joke on my part.

The start of this new section is simply brilliant,

Hereā€™s a peek. She brings out the nerd in me for literary layers and depth.

2 Likes

Reading this. Big fan of Sue Blackmore, she wrote originally on Meme theory and writes a lot about consciousness. In this book she interviews famous philosophers, psychologists, scientists etc who study consciousness and asks them basically the same questions.

1 Like

1 Like

Iā€™m nearly finished with The Lost Child Archives.

What an exceptionally well done novel. Totally engaging all the way through. Shout outs to Carver, Jack K and DFW. Thrilling ending.

1 Like

Lovely memoir of a rich and educated Vietnamese family coming to America. A non-combatant look at the country during war time.

1 Like

Got this at the library as well. Itā€™s fun. I wish I had an predatory bird app that scared the shit out of the goddamned gopher whatā€™s been eating my garden down to the dirt. :imp:

1 Like

After a lot of not-so-serious books, Iā€™ve started reading this. Looks promising.

Still havenā€™t read The Song of Achilles, though, because I donā€™t feel like crying.

Somerset Maugham

Iā€™m on book 2 of a 4 book short stories collection by Random House.

Loving them.

Lots of stories about Asia.

Maybe my new favorite author.

2 Likes

This is a book that Iā€™ve read so that you donā€™t have to. Sir Backhouse was an example of a certain type of late Victorian gentleman ā€” hyper-educated, adventurous, floridly eccentric ā€” who by the end of the 19th Century had penetrated the remotest corners of the globe. Backhouse claimed to have penetrated none other than the Dowager Empress of China herself, a claim that it is no longer possible to refute or confirm. Certainly, with his fluency in Mandarin and Manchu and his intimate familiarly with many prominent Manchu aristocrats, Backhouse was a Westerner with almost unique access to the secret lives of the Manchu ruling class. His descriptions of the high-end boy bordellos of Beijing, for instance, are undoubtedly based on first hand experience (the appropriately surnamed Backhouse acknowledges himself to be a ā€œRabbit Generalā€ or passive homosexual by temperament). Such descriptions provide fascinating glimpses into a hidden world: if Western missionaries were privy to the sodomitical shenanigans and hot sweaty donkey sex of the Manchu elite, then it wasnā€™t something they wrote home about. What vitiates the worth of Blackmoreā€™s memoirs as a historical record, unfortunately, is his known proclivity to mythomania: he claimed, for instance, to have bedded not only Oscar Wilde (possible if unlikely) but also Arthur Rimbaud at a time when Rimbaud was no longer in Europe. Perhaps Iā€™ve led a sheltered life, but this reader finds it difficult to give credence to Blackhouseā€™s claim that Cixi possessed an abnormally enlarged clitoris with which she performed anal sex on him. Her claimed predilection for the ā€œEnglish viceā€ (flogging and heavy spanking), likewise, seems suspiciously like a transplantation from Blackhouseā€™s own experiences in merry England. And as for the scene where a jealous pet fox mauls the penis of a palace ladyā€™s paramour: that really pushes credulity too far. What we are left with, then, is a delightfully scandalous memoir comprised of events, some no doubt true, others palpably false, without any way of sorting the chaff from the wheat. We canā€™t even by sure of the answer to the central question: did he actually ever dee the Dowager? And without knowing that, all his descriptions of Cixiā€™s pillow talk, political pronouncements and perversions need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

2 Likes

Doubtful he would have had that kind of access, so to speak, without having his balls chopped off.

Well she wouldnā€™t have been the first female ruler to take a male lover: just think of Cathy the Great or Wu Zetian with her collection of ē”·åƵ. With Blackhouseā€™s connections an audience/tete a tete with the dragon lady was definitely possible. And from there Cixi deciding to taste foreign devil sausage in the boudoir doesnā€™t seem such an impossible leap ā€” the palace eunuchs wouldnā€™t have the had the balls to tut-tut and, besides, her taking Blackhouse as a lover would only have been mildly scandalous (and that because he was a foreigner, albeit a Sinified one, not because the dowager empress was expected to remain chaste). Which is not to say it ever happened: other than Blackhouseā€™s own claims and vivid, precise descriptions, the only independent corroboration, and that weak, is that Blackhouse was rumoured at the time to be the Dowager Empressā€™s lover.

An easier, more fun (not to mention more honest) version of the story is the book Hermit of Peking: The Hidden Life of Sir Fdmund Backhouse by Hugh Trevor-Roper, of all people.

The arrival of an unpublished memoir offering up a scandalous version of the hitherto blameless public life of the revered oriental scholar, Sir Edmund Backhouse, sets Hugh Trevor-Roper on the trail of an outrageous confidence trickster. One of the great detective stories of our age, told with a pace and an infectious delight in the process of historical research, ā€œThe Hermit of Pekingā€ would have made an outrageously imaginative work of fiction but for the fact that it is all true. Trevor-Roper unearths scholars with bizarre sexual fantasies, eunuchs, rare manuscripts and a malicious dowager Queen, and sets them all against the backdrop of a decadent and intrigue-ridden Imperial Court.

1 Like

Hamlet.
The ghost of the King of Denmark tells his son Hamlet to avenge his murder by killing the new king, Hamletā€™s uncle. Hamlet feigns madness, contemplates life and death, and seeks revenge. His uncle, fearing for his life, also devises plots to kill Hamlet.

1 Like

Got about 1/2 way through. Some parts incredibly insightful, other parts random naval gazing to the point where Iā€™m saying, ā€œis she still writing about the woman she heard about from some strangerā€™s anecdote?ā€

WTH

Hopefully, this will be an improvement. Gotta love summer vacation and truly free public libraries. Merca!

1 Like

One of these is not like the othersā€¦