What Books Are You Reading?

Okay… I see what you mean… TSMC owns the IP of its manufacturing process… good to know. Makes sense… Quick question… does that mean that the companies that use them for contract manufacturing, for example Intel or Nvidia, could produce the chips themselves but that only TSMC has the ability to do it at scale?

Intel can and does. It’s just way behind so it partially contracts its most advanced nodes to TSMC.

Nvidia can’t. It’s a pure design house.

Been reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It just creeps along. I’m halfway through it at this point, and determined to soldier on to the end. I read Seveneves by the same author not long ago, and I was hoping Snow Crash would be better.

Stephenson seems to score a lot of points for being “intellectual,” but I’m not sure if this is the case. PARTS of his (lengthy) books are science-y enough, but I don’t know that I’d regard his novels on the whole as intellectual achievements.

Creating an atmosphere is one thing, but he doesn’t seem to know what to leave out of his books. Judging by the first half of Snow Crash it could have been half as long.

So lewd

The Pussy by Delicious Tacos | Goodreads
Delicious Tacos lies at the 99th percentile of horniness, the 99th percentile of addictiveness, and the 99th percentile of writing skill. There are a few other famous writers in this cluster (fictional and real)—you’re probably familiar with them. And the early parts of The Pussy will feel familiar, too: extremely vulgar, extremely funny vignettes about dating, booze-soaked conquests, and horniness

The chapter where the author is making cheap chicken dinner for a ‘date’ with his recently purchased fleshlight made me laugh out loud.

Oh I have heard of her. She’s extremely popular. I actually have a book of hers downloaded in my phone. She writes romance novels/women’s fiction and her characters are usually triggering (abusive, abused, self-harm, super broken etc.), and there are usually tons of sex scenes in her books.

I think It Ends with Us is her most successful book so far. Verity and Ugly Love are also very popular.

Is this any good? Sounds like too much sociology.

1 Like

I think it’s because

1. Like David Cone said, a pitcher is not an athlete. And Asians are less athletic
  2. Asian people have nimble fingers. That’s also why they do nails.

Ghost Month by Ed Lin

1st in a 4 book (so far) mystery series around night markets.

Ghost month 2022 is finished but Halloween is coming up so think I’ll try and squeeze it in for fun.

2 Likes

About time I finally read this, the most popular of the Four Great Classical Novels of China. Although it’s also the one I’m least interested in, so I thought I’d give it the abridged treatment.

3 Likes

Haven’t been reading all that much, with work and the eyeball fiasco, but I’m getting this is in in bits and pieces.

EH is just one of the best at condensing narrative. I love his nonfiction stuff. He looks down his nose at few people, big or small potatoes.

His more popular fiction always seems to glorify the putrid rich. I like the stuff about the KMT Chinese army not being pushovers.

That one I’m interested in because the anime series was pretty dumb, but meaningful because it was tied to a historical novel.

Get yourself a nice pen…

Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Finding it only occasionally interesting so far, and I’m about 1/4 of the way through. It gets very technical in parts, and while I usually enjoy that kind of thing his seemingly endless descriptions of Martian geography wore on me.

My G2s rule!

1 Like

Like why Warren Moon wasn’t drafted as quarterback in the NFL after winning the Rose Bowl- NFL owners knew black players weren’t smart enough to tell white players what to do.
When the 1982 NFL strike was on, the networks showed a few CFL games, leading a Newsweek sportswriter to (justifiably) mock the inferior product, citing Warren Moon:
“Canada: where the fast black guys play quarterback, and the slow white guys go long.”
A Canadian sportswriter replied “Canada: where the fast black guys are allowed to play quarterback.”

2 Likes

I didn’t know the CFL allowed Moon to play first.

He could have played in the NFL as a position player, but was not picked not as QB. He joined the Edmonto Eskimos instead, winning five consecutive Grey Cups.
He was big, strong, fast, had a bullet for an arm, and had just won the Rose Bowl, but there was just something about him that caused NFL owners to hold off

1 Like