What Books Are You Reading?

Ghost Month by Ed Lin

Murder mystery and no horror.

Ghost Month book is good fiction with a lot of history about past and current Taiwan and Taipei. Can even pick up useful everyday things like how and why trash works the way it does.

I recommend as a good read for anyone new to Taiwan or probably even people that have been around Taiwan for a while may have missed some things they think they know.

Nice small glossary at the back.

I heard the author on Talking Taiwan podcast and sounded like he didn’t have much experience in Taiwan and had only picked up his knowledge through research. He states in the book acknowledgements that he has never lived in Taiwan for an extended period of time.

1 Like

Early takeaways: Korea is the only rich country (top 50) that still has a lot of immigrants to the United States.

1 Like

Reading this. I have read a few of Yu Hua’s novels and they are all good

I read the synopsis and wow does this book sound depressing, though that’s kind of this author’s thing.

Very interesting book, it is a bit too leaning maybe on the US mission to civilise and help the world, but quite eye-opener of the griftiness of KMT during the transition period post-WWII.

3 Likes

I think his books are pretty human and funny, usually based on cultural revolution. You probably have seen the movie 活著 based on his books.

There is a lot of black humor in Yu Hua’s books

I have seen the movie. It’s amazing. Though I don’t find anything about the film funny. It’s bleak from beginning to end to me.

The book is a quite funny. It’s much more extreme than the film. It’s a really black humor though

His collection of essays on China are really funny

3 Likes

Incensed

By Ed Lin, 2016

I like the way he nicely weaves fairly accurate Taiwan history, culture, tradition, religion, food, language, geography, into the story.

Second in a series of Taiwan night market related mysteries.

3 Likes

Letter to a Christian Nation

By Sam Harris

Nothing “revelational”, not much supporting information, a bit dull.

download

1 Like

I just started a clunker as well. Gifted to me off the shelf of a guidance counselor.

I lasted four pages and it went into the trash.

I read one of his books, huge disappointment. That’s probably when i stopped following his podcast as well

Which one of Sam Harris’ books is revelational?

99 Ways to Die

By Ed Lin

Taiwan mystery but not nearly as good as the first two Taiwan themed fiction books. A bit boring.

download

1 Like

He signed it for me when I was a college intern. Finally finishing it now.

1 Like

Reading this.

Also the author of

• sit down and shut up

• don’t be a jerk.

I have no idea what these books are about.

Zen

He is one of the best known and accessible writers/speakers in American Buddhism

1 Like

I’m in for a read then.

I guess I’ll start with the first one

1 Like