What Books Are You Reading?

I think I mentioned higher up earlier, Ed Lin, the first two books are interesting insightful and the last two suck.

His thesis is outdated anyway. Nonetheless, let us know how you like it.

Why is it outdated? What’s changed since he wrote the book?

Wealth distribution has improved?

Okay picky people .

When was this Pickety Pocket Pickety thing published or revised?

I’m up for an 80 page read if it’s currently useful which kind of varies by the day or week or latest Warren Buffett tictok video.

He’s been roundly criticized.

The best critique I saw was from Matthew Broglie at Brookings.

Piketty didn’t factor in depreciation in his estimates. Once you do that, all the wealth inequality is due to housing. And since house ownership is widespread in the US, it won’t compound to only the few, like Piketty suggested.

There are a whole bunch of different critiques as well.

But go ahead share what you read, since I didn’t read the book myself.

Some very nice poetry that I plan to drown my beginning level kids in tomorrow.

1 Like

You don’t think the rich is getting richer in the US and social mobility is decreasing?

Of course any books are going to have critics but Piketty is still very much en vogue

He basically says that returns from capital wealth in comparison to income growth and the top 10% have got exponentially richer and a lot of this is concentrated in the top 1%

He says most studies on inequality focus on income rather than capital, but that’s not really what the issue is in terms of wealth

You basically make more money by being rich than doing anything productive for the economy

After the war , the Anglo countries actually did a lot better job than Western European of reducing wealth inequality and , up until 1980 , when we went full neoliberal and lost the plot

Piketty says that we need a progressive tax on capital but hard to implement as the rich will move their money elsewhere, so need a global effort

The actual book is 650 pages I’m English and fucking 900 In French

So fuck that

I have more to say. For now, his argument isn’t just that all the wealth is going to the rich, but also that the returns for the rich will compound.

But all the returns have gone to housing. And a large segment of American society owns houses, not just the top 10%.

The top 10% owns 70% of the wealth and most of that is concentrated in the top 1%. the percentage of wealth owned by the top 10% has grown exponentially since the 80s.

I don’t want to have a Piketty chat, especially as you haven’t read the book. So maybe read it first and then say something

1 Like

I know his argument.

Are you familiar with diminishing returns? I’m not asking in a condescending manner, just wanted to know. You can’t keep adding more and more machines and get the same result. It’ll start diminishing.

“Rognlie has three main criticisms of Piketty’s book, but his basic argument is that Piketty overestimates the level and persistence of returns to capital. In other words, he does not adequately account for diminishing returns on investments such as property, stocks, and other assets.”
Alumnus Matthew Rognlie Makes Waves With Piketty Critique | Economics Department

But the rich can’t keep getting those returns forever. That is the problem ith Piketty’s prediction.

Ok I don’t want to have a conversation about this in the book thread. Why don’t you read his book and come back to us

81% of top economists disagree with Piketty.
https://www.aei.org/economics/survey-81-top-economists-disagree-piketty-inequality-argument/

I don’t care

cool

I already said don’t want to discuss here. Especially if you haven’t read the book. Also not interested in your link from a neoliberal think tank

Read the book and maybe would be an interesting conversation, otherwise it’s not