What Books Are You Reading?

Reading this.

Just finished a spectacular Korean Novel

2 Likes

Wow, the Financial Times, the American Enterprise Institute, and the Initiative on Global Markets of the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business

Notable Chicago Booth alumni include James O. McKinsey, founder of McKinsey & Company; Susan Wagner, co-founder of Blackrock; Eric Kriss, co-founder of Bain Capital; Satya Nadella, current CEO of Microsoft; and other current and former CEOs of Fortune 500 companies such as Allstate Insurance, Booz Allen Hamilton, Cargill, Chevron, Credit Suisse, Dominos, Goldman Sachs, IBM, Morgan Stanley, Morningstar, PIMCO, and Reckit

And those type of people object to someone saying rich people have too much money? Colour me surprised!

2 Likes

What are you looking at?

The economists surveyed represent all the best economics schools in the world, not just Chicago: MIT, Berkeley, Chicago, Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford.

And that’s not what they’re saying. They’re saying they disagree on the causes of inequality.

But perhaps the greatest rebuke of Piketty to be found among academic economics is not contained in any of these overt or veiled attacks on his scholarship and interpretation, but rather in the deafening silence that greets it, as well as inequality in general, in broad swathes of the field—even to this day. You can search through the websites of several leading economics departments or the official lists of working papers curated by federal agencies and not come across a single publication that has any obvious or even secondary bearing on the themes raised by Capital in the Twenty-First Century, even in order to oppose them. It is as though the central facts, controversies, and policy proposals that have consumed our public debate about the economy for three years are of little-to-no importance to the people who are paid and tenured to conduct a lifetime’s research into how the economy works.

This dearth of reaction to such a critical work is not healthy. It is as if the rapturous reception by the public increased the resentment among Piketty’s academic economist colleagues. As an appeal to the public to resolve, or at least have a say in, what the experts consider their own domain, Piketty appears to have questioned the very value of having a credentialed economics elite empowered to make policy in the name of the public interest but not answerable to public opinion. The economics elite, it seems, answered by stonewalling Capital in the Twenty-First Century, so it would not have the impact on economics research agendas that it merits.

Just salty

But again, there is no point discussing anything if someone hasn’t read the book. So many books I’ve read, get critiqued by people in their field, often for political reasons and when you read the book, you realize that the person criticizing it hasn’t actually understood or read the original text.

See Francis Fukuyama ‘End of History’ as an example

Lots of the economists surveyed specialize in poverty/inequality: Acemoglu, Chetty, Banerjee, Deaton. Sounds like she pulled that out of her butt.

Jesus

Why dont you read the book and then someone might be interested in your input then

1 Like

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

Looks interesting and maybe my next read. I’ve heard of it before.

Lolita by Nabokov

I noticed an internet discussion when looking for some books to read.

I have not read it and I’m considering if I want to read it, or should read it or not read it. But some people claim the greatest literature ever and some people claim it’s terrible, I don’t know.

Look at the Chinese version of Chip War. (Not that I read the Chinese version).

Harold

Book by Steven Wright

One of my favorite comedians an extremely intelligent. I’m looking forward to his book. Being released on 16 May.

Underworld by Robert Whiting

Amazing real life accounts about Tokyo underworld gangster connections with politicians, industry, US government at multiple levels, CIA, military, entertainment industry, more. Even more interesting if know Tokyo.

Can almost see equivilant happenings in Taiwan following in similar footsteps only years later.

I couldn’t put it down.

2 Likes

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is a 2022 novel by Gabrielle Zevin. Amazon named it the best book of 2022.

I’m curious about this one and have added it to my list.

Tomorrow,_and_Tomorrow,_and_Tomorrow

1 Like

Are you reading book books or ebooks?

C-GPT has me all interested in this stuff but I’ve yet to get really excited about it. I don’t have massive data to crunch, and when I ask it can it learn from the data I provide it, I get more noes than yeses.

1 Like

2 Likes

Also this

Kobo

1 Like

Waiting for Bojangles

How much of it is in Paris like 50% or 20% or what?

An “oddball fairy tale” (The New York Times)—shortlisted for one of France’s highest literary prizes—a dark, funny, and wholly charming novel about a young boy and his eccentric family, who grapple with the realities of mental illness in unique and whimsical ways.

Only a quarter in.

Think its all in Paris