What Can't I do with an Open Work Permit

What jobs can’t I apply for in Taiwan if I have obtained an Open Work Permit. I mean, can I go down and apply to be a fireman, policeman, or I dare say, work for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Hey if Mayor Ma is from the mainland I can’t see why one of us can’t be in a position of authority too.

I suppose there must be some jobs for which you would have to be a Taiwan national, like government posts etc.

AFAIK, ppl with OWP can apply for any other job. Of course you would need to have the relevant qualifications for certain professions. In addition, employers might ‘screen you out’ at an early stage if they thought that were anything less than fluent in spoken and written Mandarin, but they might make an exception if you could wow them with other skills and could get by in Chinese.

What ‘unconventional’ jobs do foreigners from western countries do here? I heard about one white guy who drives a taxi for a living and I know there are quite a few foreigners who own street stands.

Legally?

Dunno - sorry. One of those “There’s this guy who…” stories. I don’t see why the guy couldn’t drive a taxi legally though, and it is possible to apply for a street vendor license as I understand it. It’s not restricted to Taiwan nationals.

I’m wondering what it would take to legally be a street vender.

I could sell segue t-shirts and zhenzhunaicha. :smiley:

I’d also be a fun way to practice chinese.

Basically, an OWP is fine, but if a license is required, then you need to have the license. That would apply in the case of being an architect, doctor, nuclear engineer, or a number of other professions.

Damn! There goes the semi-retirement plan in ever sunny Kenting.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Damn! There goes the semi-retirement plan in ever sunny Kenting (Kending).

HG[/quote]

Why? You just get your Taiwanese boyfriend to apply for the license for you. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: