What do you consider normal or trashy that the Taiwanese consider high-class/high-status?

on that note…openly talking about money, salaries etc.

6 Likes

In Taiwan McDonald’s are nice clean places for working and hanging out

4 Likes

But he is right. In Europe and even in the US , F1 is one of the most high end sports around. So many luxury packages and high end corporate boxes. Absolutely nothing like the crowd for NASCAR

5 Likes

OK, Billy Bob. :smiley:

baseball caps with earings in them.

del

In the US that’s more taboo than trashy.

3 Likes

Americans tell you how great they are they are too… I earn a six figure salary blah blah

3 Likes

Whom do you hang out with?
If you make more than someone, you’re a jerk.
If you make less than someone, you’re a peon.

1 Like

People who deck out their cheap cars with plastic fenders that almost scrape the pavement to make their cars look like expensive luxury vehicles. Ain’t foolin nobody.

The obsession with luxury brands and labels. Like people who buy NT6,000 Gucci key chains that look like something I could get from the hardware store for NT6.

Building a McMansion in the middle of open farmland and adding a 鐵皮屋 on top before the house is even done being built.

4 Likes

You’re a song of praise or triumph? :thinking:

2 Likes

I used to think there’s no point of discussing salaries, and I still don’t. However, treating salaries as a secret seems to benefit the employer more than the employee. There are countries in the world, such as Norway, where salary is public information.

4 Likes

Fixed. I thought it was spelled pee-on, like someone you pee on, paean and peon were my options.

3 Likes

In the US, lawyer salaries are public.

Government worker (except CIA, NSA) salaries have been FOIA’d.

Coke nail. In Asia it’s considered an indicator that you don’t do manual labor (hard to maintain a clean, long pinky nail doing manual labor). I see it less so in Taiwan but still from time to time.

May or may not still have to do with coke.

3 Likes

Definitely. But they show off more blatantly in TW. Here we dont ask your salary but well ask what neighborhood you live in and what your job is and piece it together…

2 Likes

Putting sugar on food and in drink. I get it. Diabetes is cool. But I’m uncool. And I want to stay diabetes free.

3 Likes

There’s an old Taiwanese folk belief that if your pinkie is as long as the first (last?) knuckle of your ring finger, you will prosper. Growing the nail to reach the knuckle (in men) is a nod to that.

3 Likes

…Along with the wispy mole hair some guys have been growing for decades.

6 Likes

People who work hard at a trade like a chef. My best friend’s kid likes to be my sous chef and he’s brilliant. His folks think there’s no future as a “cook”. I still value formal education as a baseline but as an old crow, I am convinced that better contributions are made by people who can do skilled work. Plumbers, electricians, craftsmen and craftswomen, etc.

5 Likes