What do you consider normal or trashy that the Taiwanese consider high-class/high-status?

My old boss used to constantly tell me how rich his parents were. That was fucjing annoying .

Luxury boxes donā€™t change the fact that youā€™re watching cars turn left.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got oneā€¦ Boston lobster.

Every high end restaurant in Taiwan puts that on the menu. I donā€™t ever recall walking into a place touting that they have Boston lobsters in the US.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because theyā€™re called Red Lobster or Boston Market in the US.

1 Like

This is a reverse example, where you (in my view rightly!) value something that is openly denigrated here. Bizarre too as Taiwanese claim to love foodā€¦ : (

Guy

1 Like

I think even at Red Lobster they would say they have ā€œMaine lobstersā€.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s one that answers the question: those ludicrous Greek/Roman statues and pillars desecrating ā€œluxuryā€ apartment buildings. What a joke!

Guy

6 Likes

Very elaborate customized coffee drink varieties

The concept of hostess bars.

3 Likes

Taiwanese consider this normal, expected, everyday. : D

Guy

1 Like

Those arenā€™t considered high-class here.

Arenā€™t they though, with high flying businessmen. Guess Iā€™m wrong but I thought they are popular and standard with Japanese businessmen.

Totally. The thing I was happiest about moving back here is I can just order cofree wihtout any furher questions asked.

When you ask them to show their tax returns to prove it, they really starts going blah blah blah

US$ 100.999 ? Thatā€™s six figures!

1 Like

But are in Japan. The difference in TW/JP kind of fascinating actually.

Yeah. Japan is just weirder in so many ways.

1 Like

yeah, i meant re hostess bars. hostesses in japan are very well read and the sexuality/drinking binge feel is a little less overt. they chop it up over politics and stuff, i think the mama sans even give them tests on current events and stuff. i dated a hostess that worked in a talking bar in NYC in midtown back in the day. Theyā€™re oddly courteous. TW is a bit more vulgar and more about getting smashed and making out mostly. I enjoyed the one time i went to a hostess bar in JP but i didnā€™t like it in TW as much.

2 Likes

Do yo even know what is F1? Cars turn both left and right, not just drive in in circle like the Indy 500 in USA? An for those not been in the states or OZ a for long time PickUps/Utes are the new high end top selling ones ( Ford comes back in 2018 with the same seven F-150 model as in the 2017 F-150 lineup, with prices ranging from $27,380 to a high of $60,520), Low end now days are small sedan autos not PickUps/Utes, get with the times

AUS: Australiaā€™s top selling vehicles in 2019

1. Toyota Hilux - 12,909.
  2. Ford Ranger - 9662.
  3. Mazda 3 - 8128.
  4. Mitsubishi Triton ā€“ 7518.
  5. Mazda CX-5 ā€“ 7118.
  6. Toyota Corolla ā€“ 6986.
  7. Hyundai i30 - 6222.
    in the USA
    #1. Ford F-Series: 896,526 Units. Once again, the F-Series rules America by a wide margin. Itā€™s not all ā€¦

#2. Ram Pickup: 633,694 Units. The refreshed Ram may not be the best-selling vehicle in America, but ā€¦

#3. Chevrolet Silverado: 575,600 Units. The top three spots are dominated by trucks, and the Silverado ā€¦

1. Toyota RAV4: 448,071 Units. The RAV4 is the best-selling SUV in America, and its sales are rising. ā€¦

I donā€™t know what you are saying. Tennis you are just watching a ball go from left to right.

Iā€™m not arguing whether the sport is enjoyable, Iā€™m saying that the clientele is completely different from NASCAR. As is the level of competition. F1 is as high end as horse racing or polo in most of the world