What do you consider to be the best Indian food restaurant in Taipei?

Hmmm! Google map states that Joseph Bistro closes at 9:00 pm. Yes, this does seem early to be pushed out.

Guy

Same thing happened to me. I wrote a review that was fewer than five stars and he got in touch with me and almost forced me to increase it to 5 stars. He used some questionable tactics to get me to do this. Maybe I’ll write about it some day. But yeah, it was the last time I ate at that establishment.

I like their Daal Tadka. It’s an amazing deal for 200 NTD.

Aloo Gobhi was not anything to write home about for sure, but their Sikkim Aloo Dum was very nice and authentic.

1 Like

My favourite is probably The Spice Shop in Tianmu, but there are a couple of others not far behind. If you’d like to sample great Indian restaurants on a regular basis, you can consider joining the Taipei Curry Council. We meet once a month, on either the last Thursday or Friday of the month at 7:00. Meals are always $600/person, $100/beer. The group is fairly diverse and super friendly. Search in “groups” in Facebook, you’ll find us.

8 Likes

LOL, OMG! Can’t believe! Now I could imagine why many people has so many ‘good reviews’
maybe all it happened coz of dirty tricks!

I’m confused. You think the original location is expensive but not the 101 location? And you think the original isn’t authentic Indian food? It seems you might be confusing the two. The prices at the original are in line with any other quality restaurant (hardly an expensive “risk”), while the prices at 101 are exorbitant because you are paying for the view. The original has all the standard traditional dishes while the 101 location has unique fusion stuff. That’s not to say we can’t agree to disagree on which is better, but your stated reasons for your preference don’t reflect the actual facts.

2 Likes

That is the very clear number two behind Saffron for me. The fact that they are next to each other makes it easy. If you can’t get a table at one you can probably get one at the other and either way you are getting some of the best Indian food on the island.

2 Likes

It’s not a massive issue. I preferred the food at the restaurant near 101. However, a chap I’m playing poker with is telling me I’m wrong and he’s Indian.

1 Like

Yes! This is my issue with much “Indian” food in Taiwan. It tastes like Taiwanese food to me because it has the same shitty flavors (maybe “five spice” or something? Definitely too sweet like everything else here) that I associate more with local food than Indian.

1 Like

I work with about a dozen Indian people here who unanimously agree with your friend. They disagree on whether original Saffron or Spice Shop is better, but that’s about it.

2 Likes

This is not Taibei but if you come down to Kaohsiung there’s a little joint called Dennis’ and it’s legit. I’m mainly hype on it cause they carry South Indian food like idly and dosas (the best food ever invented by any culture fight me) which is not common in most Indian joints. You usually get the northern style- curries, tandoor etc. They have that at Dennis too if that’s your jam, but yeah the Indian folk who run the place are super chill and kind. It’s good stuff.

edit: oh yeah and they got those pickles holy lord. it’s all authentic and good cp. I’d even say cheap.

1 Like

Do your Kaohsiung brethren a favour and start a new thread on Dennis’s in the Kaohsiung subforum!

Guy

2 Likes

I agree with both of you that Saffron 46 isn’t authentic. I don’t think it’s trying to be. The original Saffron in Tianmu, though? If that’s not authentic I don’t know what in Taiwan is.

1 Like

What is authentic Indian cuisine in your opinion? I lived in Pune for a year, by the way.

What most of the world calls Indian food is really Indian/Pakistani food. The cuisine doesn’t recognize the British partition of the two countries in the 1940’s, apparently.

Then again, several of the best “American” food places in Taiwan (especially in Kaohsiung, it seems) are run by Canadians, as well.

As others mentioned upthread, it’s largely about the spices and to what extent they are or are not adapted for the local palate. In the case of the two Saffrons, the original also focuses on traditional dishes, while 46 is clearly going for more of a trendy/unique/fusion/upscale kind of thing with their menu items, as mentioned by the above quoted poster.

2 Likes

As others mentioned upthread, it’s largely about the spices and to what extent they are or are not adapted for the local palate. In the case of the two Saffrons, the original also focuses on traditional dishes, while 46 is clearly going for more of a trendy/unique/fusion/upscale kind of thing with their menu items, as mentioned by the above quoted poster.
[/quote]
Most Indian cuisine is vegetarian. I don’t think it’s largely about the spices.

The original Saffron is only more traditional than Saffron 46 in terms of what people think Indian cuisine to be.

“Most Indian food is vegetarian” varies widely depending on the region of India and the religion and social class of those consuming it, but Saffron certainly has plenty of vegetarian dishes.

And yes, Saffron is far more authentic than Saffron 46 based on what people “consider” (aka what they know) Indian cuisine to be, including any Indian person you’ll ever meet.

And yes, it is mostly about the spices-- and other ingredients, and method used. That’s how cooking works.

India is a big place. But, OK, you know what makes it authentic.

Is the Murgh Tikka Masala more authentic in the Tianmu Saffron?

I personally feel that Saffron is all about ambience and view, nothing about authentic, taste or close to Indian food in India. It’s all about fancy settings which I like too but food, a BIG NO!
So many Indian restaurants here has top-notch google rating, maybe God knows why!? (Or maybe everyone is giving free drinks like Balle) but there are few Indian restaurants everyone suggests! Moksha is on my list to try soon. Mayur at Minsheng & Spice shop are my favourites for North Indian cuisine.

1 Like