What do you look for in a coffee shop?

As we all know, Taiwan is the land of coffee shops. We have everything from chain stores, hole in the wall and mobile coffee shops on the island.

I’m curious, what do you guys look for when going to a coffee shop? Does the theme matter? Is it the quality of the coffee and food? Free WiFi/Power outlets? Noise level? Comfy chairs and sofas?

Personally, the quality of the coffee and price matter most to me. If you serve good coffee at a good price, I’m guaranteed to come back. Everything else for me is a plus.

1 Like

My thinking exactly. For me, Cama hits the sweet spot…although quality does tend to vary a bit from location to location.

Interesting, I’m not the only one. I lean towards Louisa though.

Aside from the coffee and price though, what comes next on your list?

For me, comfy chairs and vibe (music and decor).

I usually don’t find the climate control to my liking, so I don’t stick around too long. Cafes are always too stuffy in the winter, so I just buy my coffee and run. If it’s summer though, and the air conditioning is nice and icy, I’ll stick around if the chairs are cozy and the volume of the music is low enough that I can have a conversation without having to shout (or listen to other people shout). The places that have decor worth noticing seem to price that into the coffee, so it’s not a priority.

I’m not a fan of Louisa at all…their coffee tastes burnt to me. But that may just be the branch near my house. Maybe I’ll have to try another location.

First off, a quality product–something I would actually want to put into my body.

Second, friendly hours. If they are an independent cafe (i.e. not a chain) AND open in the morning, this is a significant plus given the ridiculous tendency in Taipei for such shops to open at 1:00 or even 2:00pm.

If attempting to get some work done: an atmosphere in which to think. Loud dumb-ass music and/or stuffy air are deal killers. Natural light and a clean workspace are obvious pluses.

A reasonable price point. Some of the places near my office are ridiculously expensive!

Guy

2 Likes

I’ve had decent experience roaming coffee shops in the city, and I must say, in terms of taste, there are many good options, which is a great change of pace from China, where it’s hard to find good coffee.

However, the wi-fi situation at most of these places is mediocre at best. Even at Starbucks, the wi-fi is very slow and intermittently goes out, so you have to reconnect. I always look around at Mr. Brown and wonder how anyone is getting anything done, because none of the 9 wi-fi networks are working. Some of the shops don’t even have wi-fi, or they have weird ways to connect other than a simple password. It drives me crazy, because I’m usually there needing instant access to the internet (along with most other people, right?)

Also, some of the shops are kinda European style and very small and cramped. I’m not a fan of that for getting stuff done, but it can be fun if you just want to enjoy the coffee I suppose.

POWER OUTLETS. No matter how good the shop is, it frustrates me to no end when there are only two or three outlets and everyone fights to sit near them, or when there are none at all. Or when the Mac charger (why is it so big?) won’t stay in the socket.

Comfort is key. I’m a big fan of back support. Simple chairs or booths with cushioned backs, and a table at standard height. The Starbucks method of putting your stuff on a tiny little coffee table and leaning over to get stuff done is maddening. I want room for a laptop, my coffee, and maybe a notebook. Air conditioning is on full blast at some places, and that can also lead to comfort problems.

Noise level is important. Some places are too loud, and it’s impossible to get stuff done. Either people are talking over each other, or the music (which is almost always less than 10 songs on constant repeat) is wayyyy too loud. Turn it down, and switch it up!

And I agree with the hours thing. So many open at 2 pm. Why? Guess it’s a local thing. Morning hours (as well as cheap breakfast choices) are crucial, and late hours (until 10 or so) are nice to have.

In addition, general food options are important. I will stay at a place much much longer if there are meal options instead of just desserts.

I’m big on momentum because I have terrible ADD, so I like to put myself in a position where I can focus for long periods of time. I have yet to find one that meets my criteria for “excellent” in terms of being able to stay and get work done, so I hop and frequently lose rhythm. Or I just get it to go and get stuff done at home, where I procrastinate horribly.

That being said, I appreciate the area’s passion for coffee, and I enjoy trying new places regularly. Starbucks and Louisa and Dante sometimes work for getting stuff done, and there are a few local non-chain shops that are fantastic as well.

4 Likes

Same here. Last time I had a Louisa latte it didn’t have a smoothness of my liking.

I do care mostly about the taste and try to go to non-chain places.

For the last year or so, our office was close to Taipei Arena. I tried most coffee places in the area and liked the one inside MRT Taipei Arena Station (I think Exit 1 it was). Also the bakery Baffery, somewhere behind the Breeze Department Store (Nanjing E. Rd.), had coffee that made me go back for more. The bread is also excellent. I even made a video about it. :slight_smile:

Now we have moved to Xinyi-Anhe. Lot’s of coffee shops there too.

cute girls

1 Like

space/ comfortable environment. 90% of coffee shops here are too small and don’t have comfy chairs or just the arrangement is cramped.

theres lots of cafes here but not many i really like. the best location i’ve found is actually a starbucks, its an old mansion or something and has a great outdoor area. i like the menu in louisa coffee but none of them really have any space. and if they do they are full to the brim.

1 Like

I miss patios and street cafes

Summed up my major issues with the independent cafes.
Too expensive and not open in the morning.
Many of them feel pretentious to me as well. I mean that’s okay for some of them but most of them have a similar feeling to them …you’d think the bosses and staff would be friendlier given that they are independent coffee shops right?

Also agree with BHL, many of them are just too small. I don’t really feel all that comfortable in them.

Starbucks does have some nicely laid out and spacious cafes in Taipei (although it does have annoying cramped and crappy ones too).

Doutors has one or two decent outlets but not all provide sockets for power.

2 Likes

Guy (afterspivak) listed my requirements to a T:

1. Quality product
  2. Friendly hours
  3. An atmosphere in which to think
  4. Reasonable price
  1. Background music that I like which means deep chill out music with no words. Hard to find so I go for other options.

2. Windows and view to rest the eyes and mind occasionally.

3. Two types of seats. 1) Comfy to relax 2) table top to work .

4. Wifi

5. Quality of coffee is probably my last concern as long as it’s not bad coffee then OK.

I think most people go to coffee shops for the coffee shop like atmosphere and not specifically for the quality of the coffee. People almost always go to coffee shops for other reasons like to meet friends, study, kill time, relax, and coffee shops are the only places that serve that requirement without the smell of food in the background.

Buying a cup of coffee is merely the ticket price to use the facilities for a few hours.

Dante awaits!

Guy

Personally, the quality of the coffee and price matter most to me. If you serve good coffee at a good price, I’m guaranteed to come back. Everything else for me is a plus.

Same for me.

Starbucks does have some nicely laid out and spacious cafes in Taipei.

SB’s coffees are usually overrated but for a nice and spacious place in Tainan, I can recommend the one located in Simen Rd.

Since we are talking about chains, favorite is probably Louisa, their coffees are very good, not expensive and served in big quantity :sunny:

I tend to go to Notch a lot - not too pricey and there are some nice comfy chairs/couches.

In general I will either go to the cheapest place that I know I can sit for a long time at (to get work done) or a pricey nice place (to actually enjoy coffee).

The one thing I really don’t want is a jesus themed cafe. I just really wish those damn missionaries would go back to the US and stop jesusing up a bunch of countries I want to live in.

Aren’t there only like two of them? Never been. Which ones do you recommend?

This is interesting. I actually haven’t come across too many cafes that aren’t open at 6-8AM, but then again, my go to coffee shop is right next to a major office buildings.

I have to guess the shops not open before noon are the cool shops that cater to those digital nomad locals and coffee shop goers

If coffee weren’t the issue, outside space, natural light and a large table/work space would be next on my list.