What do you think about the Rants & Raves Forum?

Hi.

1. Should we keep Rants and Raves?

[img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]  Why not?

2. Should you have to register?

[img]images/smiles/icon_redface.gif[/img]  No, because it's a nuisance.

3. Should we moderate people’s postings?

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Of course not. We're ranting and raving, right?

OR…
THE SECOND OPTION.

1. NO, you should not keep “Rants and Raves”. You should change it to “General Discussion Forum”

2. YES, everybody register for the “General Discussion Forum”.

3. YES, “General Discussion Forum” is not a place to rant and rave. It is a place to politely discuss relevant issues. Inappropriate “ranting” or “raving” will NOT be tolerated and will be removed.

Should we keep rants and raves? Definitely. It’s a place where we can let off some steam and hear other people out.

A little moderation doesn’t hurt – endless chains of people insulting each other should be removed, and warnings sent/posted to the offenders. (Well, actually warnings first, then removal later)

Make two new forums: one for people who just want to duke it out and waste all their time flaming each other. The second could be a forum called “Pointless”, where people can post pointless things (like Fluffy Lovely’s posts) unrelated to the thread, or a place where the admins can move unrelated postings. These two forums would be completely unmoderated.

Registration is fine. People who just pass through don’t really need to post anyways. If they’re really interested, they’ll take the time to register.

The two extremes of completely free speech and of complete autocratic control don’t work too well in society. We should all learn to keep our cool, but we don’t need to endure pointless insults, either. I believe in the freedom of speech to a certain extent…but I don’t believe in tolerating trash talk in every forum just to uphold “free speech.” Make a place for it and keep it there!

If ultra-free-speech advocates are so ticked off at the idea of any moderation…well, go somewhere else or make your own site where you can say whatever you like. Is there any reason why the admins have to tolerate insults from the users? The customer ain’t always right!

Remove all oneliners as they are…oops

Still no decision on the rants and raves yet? 5 pages is a long thread…

Does anyone else get the feeling that, like naughty children who can’t play nice, we have had our toy taken away from us???

Please, a decision one way or the other!

Hello everyone, thanks for all your comments!

We are still experiencing technical difficulties with the posting functions on the bulletin boards and discussion forums.

Once the kinks are resolved, we hope to make some announcements regarding the R&R. Thanks for your patience.

There’s always some crappy excuse…Technical difficulties/get back later with the reason…blah blah balh.

Anyway, yes I think R&R’s should stay, I like it, most of the time it’s funny/interesting, the personalised abuse/flaming can be boring but I can live with that.

What I can’t live with is some mysterious “ADMINISTRATOR” looking down from above and plucking out anything he/she decides not to agree with/assume we’ll be offended by.

Won’t bore everyone with what I’d like to say about some of the “Moderators” actions/comments in the past, just want to join the KEEP IT/NO MODERATION/WITH REGISTRATION camp.

this site is boring…

i can’t stand it, i have to say it…

you’re are being quite anal retentive about this whole thing

was it really that hard to make an apology? it must have been…

plz grow up a little

Hey,
After all this talk, let’s not forget that the rants and raves website was closed DOWN. By Christine and Gus. Not magically by itself…Who cares whether they will open it again, the fact that they closed it means that they will filter, delete, and do anything they feel like with your and my words to suit their personal taste and needs.

Are we really supposed to believe that there was any reason for it to be shut down except that there was something written there that ORIENTED couldn’t handle?

If you guys don’t want people to have this forum, just say you won’t reopen it again and I’ll go ahead and delete ORIENTED from my “favorites”…no problem…because I hate when I come here and ORIENTED feels like I’ve come across some roadkill rotting on the side of the road.

Tell me exactly, what made you CLOSE IT DOWN?
I’d wish you’d stop using this Kleenex-coated way of saying that you are IN CONTROL.

I’m not saying don’t be control freaks. Just don’t pretend not to be…it’s not attractive.

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. No

It will moderate itself. If it becomes too offensive, people will stop going. There are many unmoderated BBS forums all over the internet. They kind of take care of themselves. People can learn to ignore the posters or threads they dislike. Sometimes this is a more effective way to get them to shutup than replying.

Well, Gus just posted about a cell phone, so I KNOW he’s still checking in here now and then. So Gus, What the **** is happening with the rants and raves?
People are talking, man, and it aint all good!
Its been long enough. What gives?

[quote=“sandman”]I think if you look at the number of posts in general over the past week, you’ll realize that if R&R goes, the site’ll soon be virtually dead.
If you’re looking for ad revenue (and of course, maybe you’re not) you appear to be going about it the wrong way.
Seems to me that, unpleasant for you to stomach though it might be, R&R was the glue that held this thing together.[/quote]

Okay, it’s unfair to drag up a geriatric post like this, but I agree with it. What do people think a year and a half on ?

[quote=“sandman”]“I may not agree with what you say, sir, but I’ll defend unto death your right to say it.”

Some British politician said that and I’m sure someone smarter than I will soon tell me who it was.[/quote]

I wasn’t here a year and a half ago, but I agree with that and this.

Sorry, I’m not the smarter guy that’s gonna tell you, but maybe someone did as I stopped reading there.

Man, this was my first post! Although I am fairly sure this will be zapped in short order, I would like to congratulate myself on my 10,000th post.

Really, time flies.

Man, this was my first post! Although I am fairly sure this will be zapped in short order, I would like to congratulate myself on my 10,000th post.

Really, time flies.[/quote]

Contratulations !

It’s “custom” when you do your 100th scuba dive, to do it naked. Luckily for me I stopped keeping a proper log book long before, so the exact dive which was my 100th was unknown. What is the custom for your 10,000th post ?

where is the rant and raves forum BTW.

Its called open nowadays.

Contratulations !

It’s “custom” when you do your 100th scuba dive, to do it naked. Luckily for me I stopped keeping a proper log book long before, so the exact dive which was my 100th was unknown. What is the custom for your 10,000th post ?[/quote]

Um, I think a really high proportion of flob posts are made nekkid …

Contratulations !

It’s “custom” when you do your 100th scuba dive, to do it naked. Luckily for me I stopped keeping a proper log book long before, so the exact dive which was my 100th was unknown. What is the custom for your 10,000th post ?[/quote]

My custom is to embark on the mother of all grave digging.