What documents do I need to marry in taiwan?

HI,

Planning on marrying my Taiwanese girlfriend in August. I'm a UK National passport holder. Now what documents do I need I have read through 2 or 3 threads but they are fairly old. I'm under the impression I need to have a Certificate of No Impediment. 

On my government website it says that Taiwan will only accept it from the uk and not if it is issued outside the UK. Now i’m currently in Australia and don’t plan on going back to the UK until I have married. So how do I go about getting this ? Can I get it issued from my embassy and then it legalised and certified as below ?

As I understand it ,it then needs to be legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and then certified by a Taiwanese Representative Office :s

Anyone explain this in slightly similar terms , as the link for the forms on the web links to marrying a Irish person ? and if you want to marry a foreigner apply at your local office ?

Also do I have to send my original passport away as I need this to travel can I just get it certified?

I know lots of questions getting slightly stressed by it all thats all

Many thanks

if you are in australia then it is easier since a marriage there is legal - i would check with the embasy there

otherwise you are correct, you cannot get a certificate of no imprediment by post, you can however obtain a search confirming you are not married in substitute of this document - check the other threads for more info

i think mine cost me 17.50 GBP and took 3 weeks, the tricky bit is then legalizing this document, for which a friend or family member is best recommended to complete, but is posisble by post

Get married in oz. Much easier.

[quote=“itakitez”]if you are in australia then it is easier since a marriage there is legal - I would check with the embasy there

otherwise you are correct, you cannot get a certificate of no imprediment by post, you can however obtain a search confirming you are not married in substitute of this document - check the other threads for more info

I think mine cost me 17.50 GBP and took 3 weeks, the tricky bit is then legalizing this document, for which a friend or family member is best recommended to complete, but is posisble by post[/quote]

Sorry to ask these obvious questions but where do you go to obtain this search ? I have searched just think my searching skills are not up to much.

To legalize it , I just need to send it off to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in UK and then get certified by a Taiwanese Representative Office is this correct?

I have family who live in London, can this all be done via post ? because then she can just bring this document over to Taiwan when she comes for the wedding ?

Is all of the above correct ? Sorry again for all the questions just come as abit of a shock needing this document on top of everything else :laughing:

thanks again

In what sense is it easier ? I never thought about this avenue ?

Hello there,
Hope the following link would help you a bit :slight_smile:

ukintaiwan.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo … -marriage/

Cheers,

OK, if you get married in Taiwan, you will have to prove that your home country recognizes the marriage. This means that a Taiwan marriage license is not enough, you need to show the marriage registered in the UK.

If you get married overseas, you need not to show that.

[quote=“I am a City Girl”]Hello there,
Hope the following link would help you a bit :slight_smile:

ukintaiwan.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo … -marriage/

Cheers,[/quote]

Thanks I have read that link and it doesn’t really tell me anything I didn’t already know :ponder:

After searching some threads on a alternative to the CNI i’m even more confused then ever … Seems a very complicated affair for UK people to marry a Taiwanese person in Taiwan :unamused:

If you have family in the yook, then easiest way is just to send them your passport details and get them to go to their solicitor or a notary public and get a sworn statement that you’re who you say you are and are not married. The notary or your family should send this to the Free China office in London or whatever its called, along with a bit of cash and a self-addressed envelope (your own address). They will check that the notary is a real notary and then they’ll put their own seal on it and post it to you. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy.

[quote=“Mr He”]OK, if you get married in Taiwan, you will have to prove that your home country recognizes the marriage. This means that a Taiwan marriage license is not enough, you need to show the marriage registered in the UK.

If you get married overseas, you need not to show that.[/quote]

This means that a Taiwan marriage license is not enough, you need to show the marriage registered in the UK.

I maybe been a little daft but the above sentence doesn’t make sense to me :s

Does that mean if I get married in Taiwan , the marriage is not recognized in the UK? So my wife/Girlfriend isn’t seen as been married to me in UK law?

Phew ok making slightly more sense now , once we are finally married , will my now wife, be able to pass and work freely in the UK ? i suppose the question is , is the marriage recognized in the uk and what if anything would my now wife need to do in Taiwan prior to us going to the uk?

Thanks again , your advice really is appreciated

EDIT so the sworn statement doesn’t need to be legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as its from a solicitor :laughing: and the free china building is getting it certified by a Taiwanese Representative Office correct ?

Thanks again

Won’t help your wife in the UK, as Taiwanese marriages are not recognized in the UK. That’s a whole different kettle of fish. Send a PM to Lord Lucan.

yep, UK doesnt recognise TW weddings

truthfully it’s best just to do a civil wedding in australia, then have a “wedding” in taiwan

this will get around most of the issues - if you’re confused by the wedding info, you’ll have even more fun with the visa applications!!!

It’s this “Certificate of No Impediment” requirement that prompts so many UK citizens marrying Taiwanese to get married in places like Hong Kong or Guam.

Phew so basically it looks like a wedding in my girlfriends home town is not a realistic option as we were hoping to initially start a life our life together in the UK.

Just out curiosity why are these marriages not recognized by the UK?

Having taken a quick look into UK laws , it seems my girlfriend will have to apply for a fiancée visa , which costs over 600GBP! To say i’m shocked by these prices is a understatement.

I realise I maybe edging out of the scope of this forum but does anyone have knowledge on if this is the only was we can get married in the UK. As it seems excessive considering we’d plan on been married within 2-3 weeks if been in the uk and have to apply for a extension of this visa which will no doubt cost more money.

As keep saying thanks for all your advice its great help , as I’m totally knew to all this :blush:

Hi all, i bring back this topic as i am as i am planning to go back to my home country ( eu country with no embassy or other office in Taiwan and and just a Taiwan trade office back home) for summer brake and in the same time to collect the necessary documents that i will need for marriage with my girlfriend.
For the complete and updated list i should contact the Taiwanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (do you happen to know the link or e-mail or specific department i should contact as i can not really find the right info through their website) ? From what i have read in the forum what i will need is :

• a criminal record from my home country.
  • a certificate stating that i am not married
  • health certificate (that i can get from a hospital here)

also to cross check, these documents are valid only for 3 months right?

Do you happen to know if there are any changed or something? Thanks for any info/tip!