What does 'Foreign Resident' Mean?

We all know that, but the publications here use their translations.
Point is, it doesn’t matter.

It matters a lot because you are separating foreign citizens from being residents and having a place in Taiwan by that definition

?

Both @qwert_zuiop and I are using “foreign residents” to mean “residents (of Taiwan) who are foreign” or “foreign nationals residing in Taiwan”, as others have explained. It’s a valid term for this meaning as far as I’m concerned, and Google will show you that it’s used by numerous governments for the meaning we’re using it for, though I can see why it might be ambiguous if you’ve never heard it before. There are other ways of referring to the same concept, like “resident foreigners” or many more long-winded descriptions, but I like “foreign residents” because it’s concise and emphasizes the resident part – the fact that we live here and contribute.

In certain contexts I can see that it might instead refer to “people who are resident somewhere else”, but I think it should be clear from the context that’s not what we’re referring to here, and you seem to be the only one objecting to it.

4 Likes

From the same people who visit America and call the white residents there waigouren

When of course in fact they themselves are the waiguoren when in America

2 Likes

Solution?

1 Like

Aaaaand . . . now this is all in the “English grammar and usage” forum. :rofl:

Guy

7 Likes

You are both right: there are elements of jargon, indolence, expediency, linguistic incompetence and nefarious intent when it comes the use of the word ‘foreigner’ specifically, and general English translations, here. I would not be surprised if it is also acute in Mandarin texts.

Mind you though, this is quite common in political discourse across the world. An example of such problematic language usage is the ‘dog-whistle’ phenomenon. Dog whistle (politics) - Wikipedia

That is inevitable: language is part of the sense-making apparatus.

You guys are splitting peas here.

The only thing that matters is that the Taiwanese government means “foreigner living in Taiwan” when they say “foreign resident”.

It doesn’t matter if they are using that term incorrectly, as far as the $6,000 is concerned (the original topic of this thread).

2 Likes

I have always been equating the term “Foreign Resident” to mean "Foreigner presently/currently residing in Taiwan legally (with a Resident Visa/ARC/JFRV/ARPC). All other “foreigners” are Tourists/Visitors/Diplomats/Students(without an ARC).

4 Likes

I call myself a Taiwanese resident. A resident of Taiwan.

2 Likes

“Taiwan resident” would probably be more grammatically accurate.

Taipei resident, Kaohsiung resident, Hsinchu resident… not Taipeinese resident, Kaohsiungese resident.

1 Like

I wonder whether adding the phrase “of Taiwan” might help.

Oh, totally agree. I always tease my in-laws whenever we go abroad.

1 Like

Not if you’re a “foreign resident.” That’s for sure Foreign residents | U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA).

Otherwise people could claim unemployment benefits from any country!

Can we stop with this? Different countries can have different definitions for the same terms.

4 Likes

So you take the definition from a “non-English” speaking country?

Can’t you just keep your complaining about this to the dedicated thread that had to be created one of the previous times?

You personally don’t like the term, fine. Don’t use it then.

3 Likes