adjective

UK /ˈfɒrɪn/ US

in or from a country that is not your own

3 Likes

If Taiwan isn’t your “country of residence” then you shouldn’t get the 6,000ntd

foreign resident means resident (of Taiwan) from a country that is not Taiwan

3 Likes

Show me that definition.

it likes you are saying black box is a flight recorder, when someone talks on a box painted black.

2 Likes

Foreign: “situated outside a place or country.

Resident: “living in a place for some length of time.”

The term you should be using is “foreign nationals residing in Taiwan” or “foreigners living in Taiwan”

If you are a foreigner resident then you generally don’t have health insurance, don’t pay taxes and are only traveling here or on a short term basis

1 Like

Dude its just and APRC, chill.

Hey let’s just take the first definition so I can win my argument!

1 Like

Expect a lot of caesarian sections before year’s end.

1 Like

You could be a “foreign national” in Taiwan but that doesn’t make you a foreign resident.

If you are a resident of Taiwan then you are NOT a “foreign resident.”

I refer you again to the legal definition foreign resident Definition | Law Insider

If people will legally change their names to get some free sushi, I suppose it’s possible they will also undergo the knife.

F&ucking stupid though as this is supposed to be a tax refund based a tax revenue surplus. What do unborn children have to do with this.

Guy

1 Like

This here couldn’t be any clearer

Again. You are not a “foreign resident” if you live Taiwan. (Legal definition here foreign resident Definition | Law Insider)

But the correct term that you are trying to express is “foreign national”

It’s a citizens and approved residents rebate, not ‘tax’ refund.

You can let the US government know it.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Chile.

1 Like

If we are using the US government…

Individuals, governments, business enterprises, trusts, associations, and nonprofit organizations that fulfill two criteria: (1) They have their center of economic interest outside the United States, and (2) they reside, or expect to reside, outside the United States for one year or more. Included in this definition are U.S. individuals living abroad for one year or more who are not employed by the U.S. government, foreigners residing in the United States for less than one year, and foreign affiliates of U.S. companies. In addition, foreign nationals employed in the United States by their home governments, foreign students enrolled at U.S. educational institutions, and international institutions located in the United States are also considered foreign residents.

It’s everybody in the audience gets a free goodie bag but not you the squinty eyed foreigner over there in the corner.

1 Like

you should be able to judge whether the words are used as a single legal term of “foreign resident”, or the “foreign” is used to modify the following “resident”, and which of the definitions of “foreign” is used.

2 Likes

Taiwan immigration refers to them as foreign residents whether you like it or not:
National Immigration Agency, R.O.C. (Taiwan) - 2023.1Foreign Residents by Nationality

2 Likes

I think some of you used an amount of time equaling NT$6,000 in pay arguing about who the hell knows what.

4 Likes

The Chinese translation is 外僑居留-按國籍別 referring to “Alien Residence - by Nationality”

Alien
noun

a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where he or she is living.
“an enemy alien”

I wouldn’t exactly trust the Taiwanese government for correct translations/definitions…