What does it cost to see a dentist without insurance?

Does anyone know what it costs for a nonresident or non_arc holder to go to a dentist?

It’s been many years since I did that, but it’s not too much. Depends on what you need done, obviously, but it’ll be a LOT cheaper than in the US or Europe. Maybe a couple thousand for something routine. If it’s just a checkup, probably less than 1000.

I had multiple check-ups without the national health insurance card and it’s as Finley says. Less than 1000 for any routine check-up from a cleaning to a quick cavity cleaning and fill.

I know at my dentist, cleaning was 300-500NT and taking care of a cavity was around 1000NT. If you’re comparing it to the states, it’s 100x cheaper to see the dentist here. When I hadn’t moved back yet, I would actually hold off to see the dentist when I visited during the summer. Seriously, a cleaning for nothing less than 60USD? The last time I had a root canal and just needed a check-up because I was in utter pain, a mere visit to the dentist cost me 50USD.

I wouldn’t worry about the cost too much. However, I would highly suggest going to a dentist that you can communicate with. My dentist is pretty awesome and speaks pretty good English. Shoot me a PM if you need a recommendation.

Last August, my Japanese pal broke her tooth here in Taiwan like the second day of her visit. Obviously, no NHI. We went to a neighborhood dentist -whole line of them by my house. I was concerned about the cost, thought that it was a biggie since they had to extract the whole tooth and give her medication -antibiotics. Well, when I asked if we could pay with credit card they had a laugh. Procedure -which lasted less than 20 minutes in puling, sewing and whatever- was only 500 ntd. Medicines included.

Bonus: Guy spoke Japanese fluently, who knew?

So, you have plenty of choices here. Costs may vary but you can choose from a wide variety of possibilities. Take the offers for recommendations.

Glad to hear as i soon make my first visit to TW dentist here. Even I´m covered at home i always get pretty angry when i see the bill after a procedure as for people who are not, the costs literally can bankrupt them for big procedures…

FWIW, I’m part way through root canal treatment not on NHI. The endodontic treatment treatment was 3600 for two sessions including antibiotics, painkillers and and several x-rays. The crown/cap will cost 9000 upwards depending on the type of material you want.
Normal cleaning is a few hundred bucks.

Dentists are incredibly reasonable on TAiwan. A filling usually costs around 500nt. A root canal and a gold crown costs about 600 to 1000. Over here in the bay area, thats more like 2500 to 3000 (and about half that if you have insurance).

2500 usd for a root canal procedure in the us?

Root canal with silver crown is NT$6000, porcelain NT$8K and gold (probably) NT$10K

EA: That’s with NHI

Root canal with silver crown is NT$6000, porcelain NT$8K and gold (probably) NT$10K

EA: That’s with NHI[/quote]

Yep and like I said above, without NHI treatment was NT$3600 plus the cost of a crown starting at NT$9000. The most expensive crown, which i assume was gold was NT$25000.

Yep and like I said above, without NHI treatment was NT$3600 plus the cost of a crown starting at NT$9000. The most expensive crown, which i assume was gold was NT$25000.[/quote]

Now, I had a few done in the last couple of years, and aside from the NT$100 visit fee (3 to 5 visits, depending), there was no charge other than the price of the crown.

So with insurance it’s quite a bit cheaper.

Yep and like I said above, without NHI treatment was NT$3600 plus the cost of a crown starting at NT$9000. The most expensive crown, which i assume was gold was NT$25000.[/quote]

Now, I had a few done in the last couple of years, and aside from the NT$100 visit fee (3 to 5 visits, depending), there was no charge other than the price of the crown.

So with insurance it’s quite a bit cheaper.[/quote]

Yeah basically what the dentist told me. You save a fair bit if you have NHI.
But even with insurance you’re not gonna get a face full of gold for NT$1000.

So with insurance it’s quite a bit cheaper.[/quote]

Yeah basically what the dentist told me. You save a fair bit if you have NHI.
But even with insurance you’re not gonna get a face full of gold for NT$1000.[/quote]

Yeah, someone’s talking out of their you-know-what.
I actually got a gold crown in about 1995, and it was like NT$5K, IIRC.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am gonna go check around at a few places tomorrow but i just wanted a bit of input from fellow forumosa-ers.

Do not hesitate to shop around - I wouldn’t bargain though. And feel free to ask here if the quotation given is reasonable. And remember you do not have to be forced to accept any option: there are dentists aplenty around the corner.

Sorry my numbers were USD, except when stated as NTD.

I got a gold/porcelain crown and root canal done here in the USA bout ten years ago for 800 USD (was 1600 and the insurance picked up half). Should have had it done in Taiwan. Was quoted 8000nt by my dentist in Taipei (without insurance) for a silver crown and root canal. A gold one was 25,000nt with the root canal.

Just as a note - root canals and extractions are covered by NHI. Crowns and implants aren’t. NHI might pick a doctor visit fee but not much overall. A couple of years ago I got a few different prices from dentists on getting a crown and an implant done. I wasn’t price shopping but rather I thought the 1st dentist was a hack, the 2nd dentist moved her office and I finally liked the 3rd dentist (most expensive though). There is some flexibility on pricing for things not covered by NHI. That doesn’t mean that you can negotiate with your dentist. I paid 10K for a porcelain crown and 80K for the implant (the other quote was 60 or 70K). That was spendy…

My advice would be don’t wait to see a dentist until you need root canals and crowns. You should go to the dentist every 6 months and avoid bigger problems.