What ever happened to the new digital “eID” card?

I swear there was a thread about this topic before, but I can’t find it for the life of me. If someone can find it, please merge this thread into it and remove this line! Thanks

Remember they were gonna release a new digital ID card for nationals? They even finalized a design and set release dates. I know it got delayed, see below, but this was a long time ago now, has the project been shelved permanently?

It was cancelled because too many people oppposed it.

I would always worry, what happens when my phone battery dies :joy:

It wasn’t an ID card on your phone. It was a physical ID card that had a chip inside. Basically like how the ARC has a (rarely utilized) chip inside

1 Like

If they aren’t gonna bring out the eID, I hope they still use the design to bring out a new regular plastic (no chip) national ID card. Was looking forward to having my daughters English name next to her Chinese name on her ID.

Rumour has it they can print the same fonts and sizes onto plastic and paper :wink:

Wasnt this just a cost issue vs benefits?

I like my drivers license being able to be printed at home, punched and half laminated. So do all the fraudsters and gangsters :slight_smile:

ID cards may very well be the ONLY thing foreigners, regardless of race, have better than all the taiwanese!

2 Likes

It may be better in design and technology, but it’s not better in functionality, since hardly anywhere excepts it without a Taiwanese guarantor!

2 Likes

To be fair, thats not a problem with the card but with the id number and computer systems. OurI ID numbers work for shit everywhere except when paying taxes or getting tickets…ironically…

1 Like

Is this what we’re talking about?
TW FidO

(EN option top right)

Nope, this is something different. I believe the digital ID card system has been shelved.

Government now has other priorities. eID’s for Taiwan’s pet children in strollers.

Taiwan’s Agriculture Ministry will introduce an ID card system to track the country’s pets and help bring breeders in line with government regulations.

2 Likes

:confused: Taiwan has weird priorities

2 Likes

Don’t u say?