What exactly is a JFRV?

I was wondering about teaching kindy because that is illegal and I know you run the risk of being deported if you’re caught.

Drunk driving is common back home, people do it a lot. (I don’t drink alcohol)
Assault could also be something to consider.

This is actually a work permit issue. Work permits for teaching English in kindergarten are not issues, as teaching English in kindergarten is not permitted.
I doubt you would be deported, but I cannot condone any illegal behavior.

That is technically correct. :slight_smile:

If I’m not mistaken, the legal basis for a resident visa for the purpose of joining family is Art. 13 of the 外國護照簽證條例施行細則 (Enforcement Rules for the Issuance of ROC Visas to Foreign-Passport Holders).


Foreign passport holder may apply for resident visas in order to: join family; pursed studies; undertake employment; invest; conduct missionary work; conduct official duties; participate in international exchange programs; and engage in other activities approved by MOFA or other relevant agencies at the central-government level.

Unless related approval is not required, the applicant shall submit documents issued by the competent authorities at the central-government level, or their authorized agencies, approving the purpose of the applicant’s visit to the ROC when applying for a resident visa.






So when Forumosans discussing marriage with ROC-nationals-with-household-registration use the term JFRV or “joining family resident visa”, are they not referring to this type of visa?

What most Forumosans mean by “JFRV” is an ARC issued for the purpose of joining family. Or they mean both. For instance, many Forumosans contrast an ARC with “JFRV” . There appears to be a lot of confusion and there should be a clear mod policy for this.

I don’t quite see the problem here. JFRV’s are a thing, and so are marriage-based (or family-based) ARC’s.

When I talk about JFRV’s, it’s usually in the context of work rights for foreign spouses. Are you saying a JFRV is not enough, and a foreign spouse needs an ARC before starting a job?

When others talk about “marriage-based ARC’s” (JFARC’s I suppose), it’s usually in the context of the pursuit of APRC’s, but I haven’t noticed this confusion you’re talking about.

(I would love to wave a magic wand and fill the world with enlightenment about the difference between a visa exemption and a landing visa. Let me know if you figure out a spell for that.)

Precisely, a foreign spouse needs to have been granted residence (且獲准居留者) to have working rights by virtue of being married to a ROC national with household registration in the Taiwan Area. Under the Immigration Act, residence for foreigners refers to being granted an ARC. It is even a contentious issue whether APRC holders married to ROC nationals need a work permit.

In fact, a resident visa (or any sort of visa) will be entirely irrelevant from the moment the foreign spouse has been granted an ARC.


Yeah, don’t even get me started on that one.

I thought there was an official statement, years ago, that a JFRV was enough. I’ll see if I can find it later.


So what is a JFRV and a JFARC then?

If I understand correctly, a resident VISA is just a permission to enter Taiwan for a residence purpose, and I should hold a valid permission to stay here (ARC) besides the VISA. I’ve renewed my ARC before the expiration data, but never renewed my VISA.

ARC and work permit are also different things. Usually, a foreigner with an employment ARC needs to get a work permit besides the ARC, but a foreign spouse with a joining family ARC does not need to get a work permit. Aren’t you confusing this with ARC?

The work permit comes before the work-based ARC.

@Zapman I don’t think anyone actually says JFARC, but anyway it’s what we discussed above.

Ya. Anyway, a “marriage-based ARC” holder doen’t need the work permit to work here, but needs the ARC to live in Taiwan. JFRV is not enough to live here. … is my understanding.

What particularly do you mean by JFRV. I am asking since that is not a term in ROC law.

I don’t know. These aren’t terms in ROC law.

My guess is JFRV is a "R"esident "V"isa for the purpose of "J"oin "F"amily. It is just a permission to enter Taiwan, and valid for no longer than 3 months. IMO, it should be distinguished from ARC.


Information on Republic of China Resident Visas

Eligible Persons:
Foreign nationals, who hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents, who intend to stay in the Republic of China for more than six months for the purpose of join family; pursed studies; undertake employment; invest; conduct missionary work; conduct official duties; participate in international exchange programs; and engage in other activities approved by MOFA or other relevant agencies at the central-government level.

Visa Validity:
A Resident Visa is valid for three months.

Duration of stay:
Resident Visa holders are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at local service centers of the National Immigration Agency within 15 days starting from the next day of their arrival. They may stay in the ROC as long as the Alien Resident Certificate remains valid.

The page also says,

6. Those who enter the R.O.C. (Taiwan) on a Resident Visa or get a Resident Visa after having arrived in the R.O.C. (Taiwan) must apply for an Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at local service centers of National Immigration Agency. The former must apply within 15 days from the next day of arrival, and the latter must apply within 15 days from the Resident Visa issuance date. Duration of stay is noted on the Alien Resident Certificate.

Yeah obviously it should be distinguished. An ARC is not a visa and a visa is not an ARC. JFRV is also not a term in ROC law. People here use the JFRV interchangeably to refer to resident visa and ARCs. This has to end as it simply causes confusion.

All ARCs are “supported” or “based” on a visa. There are several “kinds” of ARCs, depending on the visa it is based. Each conveys different rights and obligations. Meaning you are given an ARC because you married a ROC national, or you are here on a visa to work here, or you are a student on astudent visa. But every foreigner who has gotten a visa to live here gets an ARC. It is the “type”, or rather, the “reason”, the visa that actually varies. ARC is just a term for the foreigner’s ID.

The married folk get the Joining Family resident visa can work and have other advantages, but the first time yes, you can only get one year because there have been too many instances where people get married under false pretenses in order to engage in illegal activities. Hence, the distrust. That is why some government official will interview you. But compared to US, it will be easy stuff.

Best of luck on the move. Welcome to the Island.

No. No. No. No. No. Not true.

Holding a valid visa and entering Taiwan means that the foreigner merely has a right to stay (停留), whereas an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) is issued to a foreigner who has the right to reside (居留)in Taiwan. (rf. Art. 22 Immigration Act )

Once a foreigner holds an ARC or APRC, any previously issued visa and particularly the purpose of such visa is entirely irrelevant. In the case of an ARC, what matters is the residence purpose noted on the ARC. Or to put this into practical terms: once a foreigner has been issued an ARC, the NIA will stamp the original visa in the passport as “invalid” or “used”.

A foreigner married to a ROC national is issued an ARC like anyone else!! The purpose stated will be “居留理由 依親”.

I was trying to make it simple. Wiothout a visa, a foreigner cannot get an ARC. If teh reason for having a visa is gone -divorce or death of spouse, losing job or missing days of class- the ARC becomes invalid and hence, the date written on it is just symbolic. That is something people need to understand.

Usually, the reason written on the ARc ciorresponds to the visa. ie you are married, or a student, or a worker, or whatever missionary/religious etc. That si all the user needs to know. That the visa somehow was “used” to grant him the right of abode as stated per the ARc is the Governmet official’s deal, AFAIK.

All teh user neds to know is that he needs to be A, to have B in order to get that coveted AC. But we also need to tell people why they can lose the righst stated on teh ARC, why they need to dot their is and cross their ts. many people -like OP- think it is like US Green Card, when it is far more “fragile”. Byut we are not getting into that. The reson to be here becomes relevant in te sense that any tresspassing to those limits will result in ARC becoming invalid. ie: students that work, spouses may die or divorce, jobs can be lost. Then you have to find anotehr eason to be here. Legally I mean.

The simplest way to explain what an ARC is is your ID given by the ROC government.

Though very off topic,

If I remember correctly, this is not always correct. A baby born in Taiwan whose parent(s) are legal resident(s) can get ARC(=residence permission) without a visa(=entry permission) .

But he would be here based on his or her or their parents’ visa.

I don’t think it’s based on parent’s visa. The visa itself would be no longer valid with high probability when the baby is born, since it’s valid for just 3 months. The baby’s ARC is based on his purpose of joining family.

Let’s say, a foreign person can get a visa based on a work permit, then come here and should get an ARC. The visa is one of requirements to get the ARC, but I think the ARC is based on the work permit (the purpose of residency).

A spouse of the person can get a visa based on marriage, then come here and get an ARC. The ARC is based on their marriage (joining family), but not the visa, again.

Their baby born in Taiwan can get ARC without his own visa. The ARC is based on the purpose of joining family.

Of course, the reason of residency, which an ARC is based on, is gone, the ARC is no longer valid.

My understandings are, both of visa and ARC are isseued based on a valid purpose of residency. A foreigner needs a visa to enter Taiwan for residence, and should get an ARC to stay here. Once the person comes here and gets an ARC, the ARC can be renewed as long as the purpose is valid. A baby does not need a visa, because already being here.