What exactly is Taiwanese elementary school like?

On top of what has already been mentioned:

Your kid may suffer permanent hearing damage at any Taiwanese school. PA systems are always turned up too loud when they have performances, in fact any time a speaker is on it is ear drum bursting volumes - why? Taiwan.

Communication at least at my kids’ school is pretty hopeless. You will get a three page leaflet come home about some activity coming up and there will be some important detail buried on page two. Could be just our school but they just seem to lack the ability to summarise stuff. Also they will routinely send forms home for filling out, or ask for us to purchase stuff like special stationery or art supplies, that night for the following day. Hard when both parents working full time.

Sometimes I think there is a hidden assumption with Taiwan schools that there is a stay at home mum or a-ma to take care of all this groff they lob on you at the last minute.

2 Likes

The system in Taiwan seems to be breeding mediocrity as well since I can’t seem to find a decent Taiwanese employee, all the good ones have studied abroad. I lead 5 people and this is my 3rd Company where it is exactly the same.

1 Like

Look harder or pay more, it’s that simple.
Lota of companies wanted to hire me in Taiwan but they wouldn’t pay what I was asking, I’m sure it’s the same for many local employees with experience.

3 Likes

Definitely in the Top 3 things keeping Taiwan from being a developed country. Noise pollution is part of their DNA. For all their book smarts, sadly the intelligence level is not up to scratch

I’m writing this the public elementary school where I’ve worked for over a decade, so in the 15 minutes before class here goes:

1. They start at 7:50 and finish at 4.
  2. In our school it ranges from 27-29.
  3. Math, Chinese, English, Social Studies and Science are the main ones. Math and Chinese are five times a week, English is three times a week, I’m not sure about Social Studies and Science. We have 7 class periods during the regular school day. Wednesdays and Thursdays are half days for grades 1-4.
    5.Yes.
  4. Yes.
  5. Yes, but the naughtier ones often spend that time correcting their homework.
  6. Direct instruction. A lot of the English classes rely on the Grammar-Translation Method.
    9.Most of the homework is Math and Chinese with a sprinkling of other subjects. The English homework is EASY if they bothered to pay attention for half a second.
  7. Sometimes.
  8. A fair amount of art, no drama.
  9. Depends on the teacher.
1 Like

paying less is not the problem. we had to hire a guy with 14 years of experience for a marketing position that would require 2-3 years anywhere else in the world. the other 2 have Master degrees in the UK. I try not to hire people who have never set foot on a plane anymore due to lack of initiative, imagination etc.

1 Like

As an employer you should know that years of experience means jack shit

It must count for something. I wouldn’t want my car fixed by a mechanic with zero experience. I’m all for enthusiastic amateurs, but some things require experience.

2 Likes

Dont agree overall. It’s hard to put in consistently good performance for years. Greenhorns can take time to get up to speed.
BUT experience is only part of the package .

1 Like

Maybe you got him cheap then ?
Just playing devil’s advocate here.

Also could you get that guy anywhere else in the world, really ?

Interested to understand .

Experience, insight, creativity, the ability to process information, general smarts …

More valuables than YEARS of experience.

Depends of course on type of job

Sometimes the ability to get the job done reliably is supremely important. Seen a lot of guys/gals breeze through jobs onto something else…Good people, impact , limited. Also they will steal your business, sell you out… integrity is something you should have there.
Will you get the job done on time is the number one thing employers should look for …Yesterday, today, tomorrow.:grinning:

oh trust me, he isn’t cheap.

for that price, not really, but he is overkill for the position so now we need to rethink our strategy of how we will use him. I can completely focus on product development and let him handle all digital/product marketing tasks.

Noise pollution doesn’t lower IQ, air pollution lowers it.

Looks like you’ve been in Taiwan too long it’s getting to you.:grinning:

I agree Kavalan, and I seem to find those traits more often on candidates that have lived or studied abroad.

Brian you just named the 2 reasons I was initially hired for. get the job done well and on time and honesty/integrity.

1 Like

Three reasons, you named the one I was too lazy to type. :grin:

Never said noise pollution lowers IQ (IQ is bogus “science”).

I meant that the intelligence levels here in Taiwan are not good enough to do something about noise pollution.

Noise pollution does seem to lower my IQ, I turn into an angry animal with too much noise!

Generally this is true in Taiwan because you don’t want a complete TaiKe TaiMei walking in the door.

But be careful of the type that’s never lived a day in their life (despite having studied abroad). You know they type…they’ve never gotten their hands dirty or had a beer with a taxi driver or shot the shit with a security guard