What happened to 45's Lasagna"?

[quote=“twonavels”]I used to love spin. It was the only place where you could hear cool music, and where people weren’t constantly trying to pick you up… Plus, if any of those annoying foreigners came in after 4, you could have your gangster buddies beat them up.
Sigh.
Good times.[/quote]

Wow… I must be missing something here? What exactly is so cool and or funny about having people beat up simply for trying to pick up a girl?

I never went to Spin. I guess I was always looking for a different scene… I never went to any pick up bar, really… hung out with farmers, artists and hippies most of my life… fairly laid back, and forgiving, as groups of people go.

Surely there was more to the behavior of these guys than just a simple attempt at a pick up? I mean, if you, as a girl, hang out at a pick up bar, wouldn’t you expect some guys to attempt to chat you up? And where is the offense in that?

You’d think that after nearly 45 years on this planet, I’d understand more stuff… Christ, the world is quickly passing by me, I guess. :s

I mean, a guy is going to get bruised while trying to get close to a headbanging girl…by her head…

It is just pretty sad that mostly I stayed there so late just to dance, and then you have guys wanting to start a conversation while you are jumping to Limp Bizkit?! Or even starting a convo period…talk to people that sit in corners…dont come onto the dancefloor and have your silly beer knocked all over me…

I just don’t get it…when a guy/girl makes it obvious that he wants to pick you up…its just plain sad…Hi, I want to take you home and not even know you…

errrr…no thanks

and there were one or two guys that got beat up…but they were warned before…One guy came in and started pulling local girls off their chairs onto the dancefloor…spilling their drinks etc.

Usually guys that made a scene because they got rejected reacted very weirdly towards it…and got very angry when the bouncers asked them to behave or leave…

makes sense to me…you work at a place…you ask the guy to behave, guy gets attitude and tries to punch you…you hit back and take him outside…thats your job.

Yeah, but your prolly a lezzo anyway! :raspberry:

HG

So then… I was missing something afterall. Thanks for the clarification, Battery9.

Hmm, yeah, well, all very interesting.
Actually so interesting that I have now another reason to avoid 45 at all. Being threatened or beaten up or kicked down stairs is not my kind of fun when I go to a pub. I want to enjoy some nice food, a cool draft and good music and generally people who behave halfway civilized. Sorry, maybe I’m too old for this crappy pub violence. :noway: No matter who started the fight, customer, bouncer or gangster, he/she doesn’t belong where I want to be. So I’ll probably stay away from 45, at least until I hear better news. And since the culinary aspect of that place has more or less lost its attraction, I guess I go hunting for a new hangout. :upyours:

Any more comments to the original topic? :thanks:

Norbert

I went to the 45 probably twice a week for about five years and I never saw anybody getting into fights or any violence at all. Maybe I went on the wrong days. I did see a foreigner take off every single article of clothing in front of a group of horrified Taiwanese girls and boys. I thought for sure if anybody was going to get thrown down any stairs, it would be this guy. I didn’t hear what the bartender said to the guy, but he just picked up all his clothes and walked downstairs without getting beat up or anything like that. Spin is just a different place all together. I remember a time when you could get free passes to Spin from the 45 if you ordered a beer or something. I usually passed because I’m a pussy and don’t like getting hurt.

I’ve had the lasagne a few times, and it was really really good. It wasn’t just the lasagne, they threw in a salad and some garlic bread. Wash it down with a brew and you’re good to go. That’s terrible that they changed it because you’re right, it was totally delicious. What about their quiche? I remember that being very tasty as well.

By the way, am I spelling lasagne right? The forumosa spell checker says ‘no’. Oh, it also says forumosa is spelled wrong but I guess it’s not really a word. word.

I remember Spin from those days of yore. The women tended to be a bit cheaper than at Whisky a Go-Go, so it was pretty good.

Thanks Damage, I am 100% with you. I also never saw anybody getting into a fight at 45, but then I also never stayed on any longer than maybe eleven. Probably the bad guys come later? :bicker: On the other hand, I also don’t want to risk it. I’ve heard nasty stories about people being beaten up @ Spin, so that place didn’t see me as customer. Maybe it’s better that it’s closed now. No offense if guys like it that way, you are free to go anywhere.
Back to my original rant: My hunch is that management or whoever decides these things at 45 found out they can make more dough with less ingredients, at a fixed price. The salad and the garlich bread were still there, btw. but the main thing, the lasagna was a joke. No meat-sauce, no cheese, no taste. Some other evening I ordered a turkey-sub. :grrr: Oh man! They either forgot the turkey or I had already one pint too many. Anyway, I couldn’t detect it between the lettuce and tomato slices. There was plenty of mustard, though… So it’s my general feeling that the quality of food went down at 45. I would like people who went there recently to contradict me, really; if you ate something at 45 you like, and I don’t mean 5 years ago, then let me know. I might make another attempt.

Cheers,

Norbert

We’re talking bout Spin…45 is fine…I saw the lonely planet warned about Spin…I went there every night for 3 years and only saw two guys beat up…(and I stayed from 11pm - 6am) so I dunno what people were so scared of…

Yup, back to topic…the lasagne was amazing back in the days…but I never bothered going back after half of 45 got closed down…I loved playing pool there before…so sad when stuff change…

if it wasn’t for the disgusting toilets i’d say 45 was the coolest bar in taipei. they play good music and it has a bit of an atomosphere and a grungey feel to it unlike the other bars in taipei.

there is never any trouble there, i go there all the time until i can barely walk down the stairs and never seen as much as a hint of violence.

food isn’t that bad. i had a sub the other day, nothing special but alright for 120nt. my friend had the lasagne and said that it was pretty good too. it’s not JB’s, but it’s alright for the prices.

Wow, are those Tibetan guys still around?
I saw a few of them again quite a while ago outside Roxy 99.
My friend actually had sex with some guy who was supposed to become a monk. And then later some other guy came in and said that his friend had said that he could have a turn, too. But I digress.

With a place like Spin, I would go there to dance and hang out with friends. And I often felt really annoyed with some wanker trying to ooze into my space when I was dancing. And then he would get all offended when you didn’t respond to him. When guys got beat up there, they usually deserved it…like Battery 9 said…they would refuse to leave when management asked them to, and continue to do really annoying or offensive stuff.

45 has always been really laid-back, though. Only saw a girl toss an ashtray at her bf once, and later they drove into a tree. Someone should start a “45 lasagne” group on facebook.

45 was a FANTASTIC bar for a number of years.

It has lost its heart and soul now - but the memories linger on.

I still go there to enjoy a chili and pint - but even that is not the same.

:frowning:

[quote=“Laolu”]Hi all,
Last week I had another taste of their “lasagna” and was absolutely dissappointed! The stuff they sell now only resembles the former and somewhat standard lasagna only by name, but it is - sorry to be so negative - hopeless stuff. Before, I had the feeling it was home-made, by whom I don’t know, but it had that home-cooking taste to it. Now I have the feeling it comes frozen in a plasrtic bag, from some factory, made by someone who has no idea what the real stuff is like…

Any comments?

Norbert[/quote]

Nico (the manager) left. She used to make the homemade lasagne, chili and quiche. Since she left (she was also the last remaining ‘long timer’ of 45) the food is now made by a couple of part time college students that don’t know what it should even look or taste like.

:loco: That’s what I was afraid of.
Man, (or woman,) I hope they get the message and do something about their kitchen.

Norbert