What happened to the GOP?

“If the conservative cause depends on the populist appeal of one personality, or of second-rate imitations, then we’re not going anywhere,” Ryan said. “Voters looking for Republican leaders want to see independence and mettle. They will not be impressed by the sight of yes-men and flatterers flocking to Mar-a-Lago.”

“Even worse, it was horrifying to see a presidency come to such a dishonorable and disgraceful end,” Ryan said, a reference to Trump’s false claims of a stolen election and the Jan. 6 uprising at the Capitol.

Appreciate the “second-rate imitation” dig

1 Like

more on the same topic, he also makes a good point about identity politics

1 Like

“Everything has to be about race, gender and class. Every person is just a stand-in for one group interest or another. That’s identity politics, constantly accusing, suspecting claiming victimhood, pulling us apart from one another,” Ryan said.

Yes identity politics and claiming victimhood. Seems like a common theme.

For their study, the researchers analyzed data from a nationally-representative sample of 1,020 U.S. adults. Along with collecting demographic and psychological information, the survey included an assessment of two types of perceived victimhood.

Egocentric victimhood was assessed by asking participants how much they agreed with statements such as “I rarely get what I deserve in life” and “I usually have to settle for less.”

Systemic victimhood, on the other hand, was assessed by asking participants how much they agreed with statements such as “The system works against people like me” and “The world is ‘doing it’ to me and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

There was no significant difference between the level of victimhood between Democrats and Republicans overall. However, Armaly and Enders observed that increased egocentric victimhood was associated with increased support for Trump, while increased systemic victimhood was associated with reduced support for Trump.

“Egocentric victims—Democratic and Republican, liberal and conservative—support Trump more than their less victimized counterparts. This is sensible. Donald Trump claims to work for these people by trying to restore America to a time before its people were victims; he tells them it is not their fault,” Armaly and Enders wrote in their study.

The researchers also found that the two types of victimhood were related to support for specific policies. Egocentric victimhood was associated with reduced support for government aid for Black Americans and increased opposition to political correctness, while the opposite relationships were found for systematic victimhood.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the right gets all their best new tricks from the left

So your argument is that the left started it? Are you sure about that? White victimhood in the GOP goes back a long way, and is the foundation of the modern Republican party.

From the words of Republicans themselves:

Lee Atwater - political strategist, former adviser to Reagan, Bush and former chairman of the RNC. Interview in 1981 (expletives censored):

You start out in 1954 by saying, “N-----,n-----,n-----.” By 1968 you can’t say “n-----”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N-----, n-----.”

That’s really the crux of it, victimhood. Victims can be found anywhere, but only the GOP platforms on victimhood. And it’s like, only on victimhood too. Definitely no actual policy, or plan to move anything forward.

There’s a saying that goes something like, Republicans are only happy when everyone else is miserable. Can’t say I’ve seen any evidence to the contrary (in recent years especially).

They just like to get in the way of progress and keep saying stuff like their healthcare plans are coming, except they never do.

Once the party is fractured it will be like a new era in the US, where politicians shift to the left to line up with the actual views of constituents, and where parties argue over technicalities of policy respectfully again. As opposed to calling pandemics ‘a hoax’ of their political rivals and reading Dr. Seuss books.

1 Like

Incredibly disturbing. Cancel culture blah blah, then the ‘solution’.

“We have a 2nd amendment in this country and I think we have an obligation to use it.”

Not a subtle enough dog whistle here, Matt. Lock this guy up for incitement.

He seems to know he’s getting locked up anyway based on this desperation.

Being from Australia, I really don’t understand what the white working class Republican supporters have against universal health care, free/cheap education and a social safety net. Murdoch has been trying to get rid of those in Australia since forever and thank goodness it hasn’t worked.

1 Like

if you put it that way, victimhood in america is as old as the puritans

Tax cuts and states rights feels a bit more recent. :wink:

I don’t think that’s what the GOP is about anymore…

“Build that wall!” “A total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States”…you’re right it’s much less subtle now.

1 Like

As many of them are ‘poor’ working class people, having the ‘American’ dream.

Bernie knows what’s up. The ultimate GOP projection.

https://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders-compares-republican-tactics-chinas-growing-authoritarianism-1596239

In his weekend post, Sanders compared the policies and tactics pushed forward by the GOP to the “growing authoritarianism” in China. The senator, who unsuccessfully sought the Democratic Party’s 2020 presidential nomination, argued that Republicans are hypocrites for opposing China’s government while using what Sanders’ views as similar tactics in the U.S.

“Republicans want a cold war with China because of its growing authoritarianism. That stance is coming from a party that refuses to acknowledge Biden’s election victory, investigate the January 6th insurrection, and is working overtime to suppress the vote,” the senator tweeted.

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1399086372850442243?s=20

Ah, Desantis and the Florida GOP:

"DeSantis signs controversial bill banning transgender women and girls from sports "

“In Florida, girls are going to play girls sports and boys are going to play boys sports,” DeSantis said, speaking at a private school in Jacksonville.”

And fools gone sign foolish laws!

1 Like

DeSantis seems to be one of the new targets of the Democrats, Trump apparently likes him so Democrats, never Trumpers in the Republican party and the entire MSM will go after him.

Probably should start a thread on him.

Just start a ‘Mick’s’ thread.

2 Likes

Not that this is rocket science to figure out, that this GOP iteration is just an early stage of anti-democracy authoritarianism, but still.

Michael Flynn, the retired general who briefly served as Donald Trump’s national security adviser before being fired for lying about conversations he had with the Russian ambassador, spent Memorial Day weekend advocating for the U.S. military to overthrow the government. A keynote speaker at the For God & Country Patriot Roundup in Dallas—a conference popular with QAnon believers—he was asked on Sunday by an attendee, “I want to know why what happened in Myanmar can’t happen here.” Flynn replied, “No reason. I mean, it should happen here.”

Sidney Powell—the former federal prosecutor whose batshit election conspiracy theories earned her admission to, and then exile from, Trump’s postelection legal team last year—was also a keynote speaker at the conference. She told attendees that Trump should be “reinstated” as president and move back into the White House

But why point merely to Trump’s minions when we can source the man himself? According to The New York Times ’ Maggie Haberman, Trump has been telling people that he “expects he will get reinstated by August.” Trump has not specified how he would be reinstated, but the answer is easy to conjure: a coup.

Late last year, when Trump was launching dozens of frivolous election-related lawsuits, Republicans backed him. Using the courts to challenge elections was lawful, even if he was doing it in a silly manner, they argued—but it was hardly a coup. After all, the courts were involved. After the January 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol and Trump’s subsequent banishment from mainstream social media, these same Republicans—and many Democrats—hoped he would simply retreat into exile at Mar-a-Lago and be largely forgotten. But that hasn’t happened. Instead, the coup talk continues to escalate.

You’re coming across as a we bit paranoid @mups Flynn said something stupid he withdrew it and (falsely IMO) claimed he said the opposite. Powell’s comment was in response to someone asking her what happens after audits like the one in Arizona prove Trump won, she’s not talking about a coup, but she is wrong as well as Trump own attorney just pointed out.

Aha, ‘stupid’ is the new ‘sarcasm’

I guess it turns out I was right all along. :brain:

Don’t mind me, I’ll just continue to not excuse coup-mongering.