What happened to the GOP?

I took a lot of grief from McNulty for posting this some time ago, but I guess I don’t have to worry about that any more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eh, at best some of this list are loud, but little charisma.

Cruz would be hilarious.

Just do mypillow guy, he’ll probably have the best shot. He runs a successful pillow business.

1 Like

GOP aren’t even looking for a new guy. They just invent crazy new voting laws in their governing states that basically prohibits everyone not GOP to cast a vote. It only takes 2-3 states and GOP can emplace every dickhead they want to be their new conspiracy poster boy.

1 Like

A deep dive into local politics and some of the reasons for the GOP slipping in the suburbs.

These key suburban populations are mostly white but increasingly diverse, highly educated and relatively affluent. They aren’t scared by immigration; they support it in their own communities—especially with highly skilled immigrants, attracted to work at businesses lured to these suburbs, in many cases, by business-minded Republican politicians. They are repelled by white-grievance politics and culture-war clashes, and concerned about the rise of violent right-wing anti-government plots, like the Jan. 6 insurrection and the thwarted plan to kidnap and execute Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. They used to think of themselves as Republicans, but nowadays the GOP seems disconnected from the things they care about; it talks less about affordable child care or student debt than banning transgender student athletes or making it harder to vote. It’s the inverse of what President Ronald Reagan said in Macomb County all those years ago: They didn’t leave the Republican Party; the Republican Party left them.

It’s the story of how the GOP playbook—which often defaults to the tactic of demonizing cities as bastions of out-of-touch liberal elites—has missed an important shift: Suburbs aren’t at war with their cities any longer, and claiming they are has alienated potential Republican voters.

1 Like

Did you read the whole thing? I got a couple paragraphs in and gave up, not that I disagree with what little I read (was mostly background at the start, anyways).

It is an interesting situation. I believe a large factor in the 2016 presidential election was the centre retaliating against the excesses of the woke/academic left (McWhorter’s Elite). Then Trump was unsurprisingly a terrible president in many ways (Mexicans sending their worst, friendliness with Russia and other regimes, very fine people on both sides, etc.). So, the centre reacted against the deplorable positions which were sadly advanced from 2016-2020 and we saw the left learning their lesson and giving a more moderate presidential candidate.

I would have been happy with anyone but Trump, Biden seems perfectly reasonable to me as a president.

And for the GOP to double down on Trumpism, which will never get them the centre back, is to me clearly a dead end strategy. Maybe with enough gerrymandering and voter suppression and culture-war gaslighting they can get there, but probably not and is it even worth it?

Anyways, I didn’t read the article. I hope it suggests an abandonment of Trumpism and a more centre-learning 2024 candidate. Otherwise, better to have whoever the Dems put forward in 2024, which will probably be the case!

There’s a threat of autocracy, so we need a one-party autocracy. Don’t worry though, only for this generation. Lincoln would have loved this

I think the US needs more than two parties, not less

2 Likes

That’s what Republican supporters are wondering about now, is there a one party autocracy now and has been for decades.

Their audit results in Arizona will be the canary in the coal mine, if it comes back clean, well all good and well, if there is massive fraud uncovered, it wont bode well for the Republicans who sat on their hands and did nothing.

As for the claim Trump and his supporters are an authoritarian movement, look at which side has all the corporations, the entire government (Liz Cheney running to join Democrats in their latest attempt to get Trump) the entire media and just about every big tech social media outlet.

The only thing on Trumps side are people and that is what they are afraid of.

Saul Alinsky , Rules for Radicals: " Accuse your opponent of what you are doing

They always do that, send out 400 lawyers to try and change election rules while screaming “Trump is trying to steal the election”. “Trump has a quid pro qou with Ukraine” when that’s exactly what Joe Biden had done.

There is no threat of the two party system disappearing. So if some republicans join the Lincoln project to reform their own party, that is autocracy to you? If the Republican party is trying to reform itself we should applaud that effort. Republican voters should not be complacent and accept the current state where there is only one voice in the party and everyone else is a RINO.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

Liz Cheney is not joining Democrats. She’s about as conservative as they come. Just because you don’t pander to Trump and Trumpism, does not make you a Democrat.

Not enough people without some traditional conservative support. Trumpism relies on very high voter turnout and enthusiasm from all conservative voters. Any split or apathy within the party puts that at risk.

Sorry, but did you read the article? I’m reacting to specific comments in it.

I did but the purpose of the Lincoln project is a republican movement to reform their own party even if that serves the interests of Democrats.

I don’t have any hopes, I do expect a political system that allows the unwashed masses to look at the receipts of elections in which they choose their leaders who get to rule over them.

I hope you don’t have a problem with that.

First of all, the writer is a long-time Democratic operative and not a Republican. Ensured one-party rule by one’s favored party does is close enough for me to autocracy to make that comment, yes. The article reads to me as a self-serving attempt to achieve that by sketchy means and dubious reasoning.

Well, that’s not what is happening in this article, because of who the writer is.

We have a system for recounts which I trust. I have a problem with an obscure firm with questionable expertise in auditing ballots having any say in election results when we already have a well-established process to do so.

Why do you trust it if the people who vote aren’t allowed to check it?

I get it but you’re ignoring the context of the Lincoln Project itself. How it was founded, it’s messaging etc. A democratic strategist joining the Lincoln Project is not a surprise nor does it point to autocracy. Consider the alternative, that there is no Lincoln Project and no opposing voice in the GOP. Democrats and Republicans (some) agreeing on something is not autocracy, quashing any dissent or opposition is.

Because they have yet to find any evidence of voter fraud on any meaningful level whatsoever, and in particular fraud that would change the results of an election. Not just in this election but all of them. So the system works.

That’s completely untrue, it’s what the MSM is pushing I know that, Seth Keshel has an interesting series on the right stuff, with I forget who, about 3 hours of looking at statistical data from all over not just the swing states, I actually liked his opinion that Trump should have called for a red state audit like South Carolina which he won, to prove he was acting in good faith.

3 hours is a long time, but the numbers were really messed up for 2020, and he’s looking back decades for comparisons. This is one of his latest posts.

ARIZONA
MARICOPA COUNTY

This slide speaks for itself, in case you’re wondering why we are having a forensic audit there.

*not blue since 1948

*Trump won it in 2016 with fewer votes than Romney in 2012

*Trump set GOP record gain in 2020 just to lose it for first time in 72 years?

*The four comparable counties (602k to 802k Dem votes in 2016) averaged exactly 30% Dem growth in 2020. Maricopa was at 48%.

*Biden is 219k over previous Dem high vote gain.

Now do you see why Katie Hobbs is behaving like she is?

Couldn’t link to post in question.

Hey if the audit is close to being accurate, we can all leave Trump on the dustbin of history, he is out of power in Maralargo, zero influence over anything except perhaps future candidates in the Republican party, which should be zero concern to Democrats since they hate all Republicans anyway and if there is a clean audit, people will forget about him and won’t even have that power anymore.

OK, yeah I was talking about what this writer is saying here.

No, it was his self-righteous prattle over the idea of ensuring one party rule by his own institutional monolithic corporatist party for at least a generation that made me say it.

2 Likes