What happened to the GOP?

:rofl:

4 Likes

I think we could maybe think or a couple people if we put our heads together

5 Likes

When he gets into about space lasers, false flag school shootings, 9/11 conspiracies…I’m sure there are a few more, I just lost track…we can talk.

2 Likes

Yes, Nancy Pelosi as well - ripping up the State of the Union speech in front of America, inside the Capitol, is a great metaphor for what she literally has accomplished …some might even call that inciting insurrection :wink:. (BTW, did anyone get her coup d…err I mean “impeachment #1 pens” from eBay yet? Will they be worth more than the “impeachment #2” pens? )

But nobody serious.

3 Likes

I know you are thinking of Trump, we can agree to disagree. It was the Biden/Obama administration that decided to go after political opponents and weaponized the intelligence community in ways that Russia would be proud.

You disagree with that (of course) but that’s how half your country sees it.

1 Like

Now from Ben Sasse (R).

In the YouTube video Thursday, Sasse said: “Now, many of you are hacked off that I condemned his lies that led to a riot…. Let’s be clear: The anger in this state party has never been about me violating principle or abandoning conservative policy. I’m one of the most conservative voters in the Senate. The anger’s always been simply about me not bending the knee to … one guy.”

“Something has definitely changed over the last four years … but it’s not me,” he said.

Sasse added that “personality cults” and “conspiracy theories” are not conservative.

We’re gonna have to choose between conservatism and madness, between just railing at who we’re mad at, versus actually trying to persuade generations of Americans again.”

Good for him but he may as well eject.

1 Like

Because she is the crazy one in today’s GOP

and some historical context

1 Like

It’s happening already, again before the GOP even begins chasing Trump down rabbit holes for his base.

Recent studies show the Republican party is losing voters after the riots on Capitol Hill last month. Five people lost their lives and dozens of people were injured including police officers, after attending a rally held by former President Donald Trump.

Voting experts at the University of Florida say thousands of voters are no longer registered with the GOP. They say far more Republicans than Democrats are changing their registration, and it’s happening here in San Diego County too.

The insurrection at the United States Capitol on January 6th is something most people thought they’d never witness. Now political research says the fallout from that day shows thousands of registered voters fleeing the Republican Party.

“These Republicans are rejecting Trumpism, a brand that they see continue to lead the party, even after his defeat,” said Laura Fink, a Political Analyst.

In California, the Secretary of State’s office shows over 33,000 voters have left the GOP since the riot at the Capitol. In San Diego County, more than 4,700 Republicans have defected.

“I think this isn’t just a temporary blip. This is an acceleration of the long-term declining fortunes of the Republican Party in California broadly and in San Diego in particular," said Thad Kousser, a UCSD Political Science Professor.

2 Likes

This is going to be my theme for a while, choose a desired outcome and then push facts to support that outcome no matter how ridiculous.

Desired outcome, cancel Trump.

Republicans are leaving the Republican party, I suspect that is true. But then to the question why? Well, if you want to support your desired outcome, the reason must be Trump.

Is that really the reason? Maybe for some, but a much bigger reason is they think the Republican party betrayed them, they think they betrayed Trump and didn’t look into claims of fraud and they were quick to throw him under the bus for impeachment. Those are the reasons people are abandoning the Republican party and there is a ton of evidence to support that.

:grinning: :grinning: This is going to be a fun game.

I take no pleasure in the fact that one of our major political parties has gone absolutely bonkers.

3 Likes

Agree. Americans desire to have his eligibility for U.S. president because he is unfit. Based on his criminal behavior. The only question is why on earth wouldn’t anyone desire that at this point?

Q Anon, Covid Failure, Job loss, Bad Economy, Optics of Capitol assault, Treason, Violence against Americans, They don’t like racism and misogyny

Do you feel the owe him loyalty?

We want that game to end, over here anyways. Kind of the point.

How do you end the game? Is totalitarianism an acceptable option?

Dear leader worship

I didn’t realise he was such a sop

Things are already getting better. If anything the mood has lifted here somewhat, things have calmed down so that’s good. I think having people not walking around in a state of anxiety about the future 24/7 is a load off for everyone. Things like listening to doctors about COVID and an actual vaccine plan are a good start.

Less daily divisive hate rhetoric in the news is a psychic relief as well.

Obviously not, which is why they want to prevent dear leader from running again.

1 Like

Quoted for the record, hey we are looking for commonality and we found something.

Approval ratings of the Republican Party have taken a hit since the November election, and the greatest drop in opinion has occurred among Republicans themselves, according to a Gallup poll released Wednesday.

Following the election, the GOP enjoyed a 90% favorability among Republicans, according to a previous November poll. That approval has now dropped to 78%, or a drop of a dozen percentage points.

“With much of the decline in Republican Party favorability coming from Republicans themselves, the GOP faces a crossroads, as it decides whether to continue to be loyal to Trump, his political style and his favored policy positions or break with him. Currently, 60% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents say they want Trump to continue to lead the party, while 38% would prefer a new leader,” wrote Gallup analyst Jeffrey M. Jones.

Houston, we have a problem.

1 Like

New Republic: The GOP Has Nothing Left but a Persecution Complex | The New Republic

“This victim complex is so powerful that it exercises a veto over other components of conservative ideology. It has turned the right against the powerful corporations whose freedom they once defended, and led them to abandon their former “law and order” posturing in the wake of a violent riot. The party of Joseph McCarthy now imagines itself the victim of a reverse red scare, one in which Communist institutions hunt down those who dissent from woke orthodoxy.”

1 Like

I think this will play out over the next two years. It’s hard to say what if anything Trump’s role will be. He’s pretty much PNG as it stands now politically.

The Republican party is no longer conservative but the Qanon white supremacist party.

From the comments. Keep saying that for two more years and the GOP may come back and push back against this kind of broad brush stupidity.

1 Like

It is quite true that the Republican party is no longer conservative but the Qanon white supremacist party. 88% supported a violent populist. That’s why they’re shedding members, because centrist GOP that typically represent corporate interests no longer want to stand next to them.

It seems like in the meantime, these GOP believe if their party is falling apart, it’s not incumbent on themselves to change, but everyone else’s job just to tell them what they want to hear.

The echo chambers and safe spaces aren’t so helpful to them in the long run after all.

2 Likes