What Happened to These People?

There’s an interesting story in today’s Taiwan News about changing the laws to protect foreign domestic workers in Taiwan. In the print edition (page 2) is a photo of a 24 year old Indonesian female worker named Hendrawati. According the the report “she worked 17 hours a day for three years without being allowed any holidays and wasn’t paid.”

etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2003/ … 507576.htm

I think that many of the erudite posters to this thread have overlooked the obvious fact that if requirements for obtaining Taiwan nationality are relaxed, then you will have more and more foreigners obtaining Taiwan nationality.

This will immediately eliminate the charge that allowing the immigration of foreign people is taking away jobs from local citizens, since these people will already be local citizens.

Also, in terms of alleged “rising unemployment” in Taiwan, you have to be aware of how this relates to the concept of “the Taiwanese work force.” In general, if a person has had an opportunity to be employed at three positions, and has refused (with no good reason), and is not currently actively seeking employment, this person cannot be considered unemployed.

I suspect that if recalculating the Taiwanese unemployment statistics with this premise in mind will reveal a different picture.

As a final note, I will avoid making the suggestion that those in the low income brackets should be subject to strict birth control regulations, since that seems to be a violation of their human rights . . . . . however, many social scientists are beginning to question why people in these low income groups have the right to give birth to children whom they cannot financially support, and who then become “wards of the state” . . . . . . so it is food for thought.

[quote=“Aristotle”]I sent an email to the address at the bottom. I have not gotten any reply. Does anyone have any information?

CATHOLIC HUMAN RIGHTS ADVOCATES THREATENED TO BE FORCIBLY DEPORTED BY Taiwanese GOVERNMENT
Catholic Migrants Advocates in Taiwan[/quote]

I think it is pretty obvious that these Catholics are more interested in maintaining the “status quo” and not upsetting any of the current ROC government officials than really working for positive change.

In general, I would say that the majority of the Catholics in Taiwan who are “long termers” have little conception of human rights and certainly don’t stand up for any concepts of the Biblical teachings which stress doing what is right, regardless of the consequences . . . . . .

Just the other day I was listening to a mother who was complaining that her child transferred into the DOMINICAN SCHOOL in Taipei, and the way he was harrassed by the other classmates, and all the behavior problems in that school.

The students threaten each other with knives in the lunchroom while the Catholic sisters (nuns) sit at their own table eating their lunch!!!

So I think that the characterization of these people as a bunch of pompous hypocrites is really understating it . . . . . .

MAY THEY BURN IN HELL.