What happens if you get deported, can you travel to other countries?

I’m not 100% sure if the work my UK company wants me to do in Taiwan is legal without a work permit, they seem convinced it is. I guess the worst that will happen is I get deported. I am wondering what actually happens if you are, would this count as a criminal record, will it stop me travelling to other countries? I am assuming I may be banned from entering taiwan for a bit?

Thanks

1 Like

You should not be entertaining this to begin with. You should get a work permit. Perhaps your UK company can open a branch office here.

What are you trying to do? If you are deported, your passport will be stamped. If other countries find out you lied on their application if they ask about deportations or crimes, they might take that into consideration.

Don’t commit crimes. If you want a 100% answer, you should seek paid legal advice.

3 Likes

Why not apply for a working holiday visa if you can. Deportations are not criminal but the ban for working illegally can be up to ten years. If you are banned they will put a deportation notice in your passport. Some countries will deny you entry if you have been banned elsewhere.

Now as for people working remotely in Taiwan once you are here 183 days a year you need to declare your overseas income. Many do not do that and just are here on tourist visa’s. You are not allowed to work in Taiwan on a tourist visa just the same as I cannot work in the UK on a tourist visa.

Would you qualify for the Gold Card? That would give you residency and work rights and your UK company would not need to have a branch office here or a rep office.

1 Like

your uk company can get a work permit for you without opening a branch office or representative office in taiwan, but if you have a degree from a right school, gold card could be the easiest solution.

1 Like

As a foreigner in Taiwan, absolutely no work (paid or unpaid) is legal without work permit unless your company is just sending you here for a short business trip, and that you are not actually living here. If you are a UK citizen, the limit per business trip is 90 days.

A degree only if that is a PhD from a global top-ranking list, as single criterion for gold card

Can you explain more about how that can be done? is the OP perhaps here to work with a supplier to a UK company where he needs to do QC work?

1 Like

Is this really true? And to what extent?

Like if some buxiban teacher without a permit gets busted and then deported, then suddenly they can’t travel to other countries in the future? Am I understanding that correctly?

If they are deported they can have that noted in their passports. Countries like Canada USA and many others will refuse entry to someone who is deported for working illegally. Australia puts in automatic 3 year bans for people caught working illegally. Overstayers in Taiwan get a stamp saying they cannot enter Taiwan for a certain period without a visa. This can affect their entry into other countries. Those working illegally can get fined and deported. Recently a PhD student here got fined for working illegally and wrote on this forum about it. He was refused a work permit after graduating.

Being caught working illegally or deported has consequences. A lot of countries have in place what are called migration alert lists. Some of them are known to share that information with other countries.

2 Likes

if what you do in taiwan is business conduct, such as inspect progress, participate in quality control review meetings, or supervise inspection of construction, quality control or technical equipment, it is not a “work” so you don’t need a work permit. but what you do could be specialized or technical “work”, rather than business conduct. in that case, visa exempt entry can be deemed as a work permit for 30 days, but for more than 30 days, you need a work permit.

https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=602D9CE3DD72F51C

1 Like

I heard some countries absolutely refuse entry to those who been deported for any reason, yes even for protesting falun gong in China.

How they know is another matter though… like passport can be changed and all that.

One must inquire about the nature of inquisition you are being charged with. If you are setting up a business for the company or meeting up with clients, buying stuff , it will fall upon the purview of business visa. What are you planning to do here for the company?

Assuming you ate UK nationality (or of …in the list of working visa countries) , working holiday visa is your best bet. Gold card and stuff takes some time. WH visa is quicker.

Alexander the Great once came to bring Alexandria parakeet back ………

Depends on how long the OP is going to be in Taiwan for.

I first came to Taiwan on a working holiday visa and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who has an opportunity for a work permit.

Although working holiday visas aren’t quite so terrible for UK citizens as they still get an ARC