What happens if you swim at "No Swimming" Beaches

I’m in Anping and there is a beach I swim at pretty regularly. There are no swimming signs everywhere and when I swim, sometimes a grandpa in a vest scooters down the beach to whistle at me. I asked a guy I saw swimming there a lot what the deal is, and he said there is no legal consequences or fines. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Whenever someone gets hurt on a beach, even a scratch, they will go and complain to the local government asking for compensation. And they usually succeed, which is why the day after the same beach will have a “NO ENTRY” (or similar) sign. I’m not clear as to whether one can be fined for trespassing or swimming. Most beaches in KH are supposed to be “no swimming” but this doesn’t discourage old uncles and aunties from going there anyway. My usual place gets a new fence every half a year, which is regularly cut open by someone within a week :rofl:

@taiwanjake I would keep swimming and ignore the whistling uncle if I were you, honestly. The locals have already said that it’s fine, so I would trust them. And if you make friends you will become untouchable :rofl:

2 Likes

According to taiwan law If you don’t listen to coast guard’s warning you might be given a fines (10000-50000 NTD), but if you listening to them they can’t punish you.

1 Like

All I heard was some old guy in an orange vest blow a whistle…

1 Like

Not a coastguard. Not even a life guard. Ignore him.

The underwater ghosts will drag you down to your watery grave…

5 Likes

Generally those beaches have really strong currents that can pull you out. I know one beach on the east side has had multiple people disappear…

What is a “coast guard?” I thought they were the people in the small military boats with guns…

1 Like

They’re on shore as well. Watching for smugglers and such. Not sure what @Henson meant exactly.

1 Like

I think I will. It is a bummer though, he literally drives alongside me whistling…I finally talked to him and just kept thanking him for taking care of me but also emphasizing i’m okay. Just trying to be Taiwanese style polite. It does make me paranoid one day he will be there with a cop.

2 Likes

The scooter whistle guys are coast guard? Are you sure?

Did you stop to ask.if they have a reason for that spot? Perhaps they know certain rip tides, whirl pools, military testing, environmental protection area etc? There could be legitimate reasons we arent welcome there.

The liability thing is real too. if rescue comes, you are on the hook. if a rescuer died helping you, expect jail time. Same with rivers, mountians etc for hikers and all that. “You were warned, piss off” is reason 1. “You are financially liable for any problems” is reason 2. “You are literally not allowed to be here” is reason 3.

2 Likes

You die.

There is a reason that so many places in Taiwan are not good for swimming. Looks nice until can not return to land.

Dead people can not talk so not-yet-dead do talk, or blow whistles, or scream at attempting-to-be-dead people.

3 Likes

The reason stated is the undertow, which is not even close to where I swim and also I swim at just above waist level. The beach is full of surfers and wind surfers, if I had a boogie board in my hands I wouldn’t get whistled at. Really though I am asking about the law, that’s why I posted it in the legal forum.

1 Like

The law is, if sign posted you are liable.

That’s what my impression is now, that it is about liability and not fines or punishment, which is totally fair.

Most likely. But be aware they have already posted they can fine you. Taiwan usually is easy going. So usually only assholes get fines in this situation. A smile saves a lot of money. But they have the right and you couldnt really say much to argue.

If you’ve been to Shalun out in Tamsui you’ll be familiar with the old guy out there. He’s not a bad chap he’ll even tell you to go around the corner and swim if you want. He’s literally like, they gave me a whistle and told me to do this job, whatcha gonna do?

Yes Taiwan has very dangerous waters, but in many cases anyone with common sense and that can float is perfectly safe. The issue is with idiots with no experience in the ocean.

I can’t swim my self and I’ve been caught in rips in Fulong. You just lie on your back and go with the rip. Eventually you can kick back in to shore.

1 Like

Most panic when they get caught in a rip. That’s what kills. So government says no swimming then there’s a rip because too many people die from it.

With water logged in the ears?

Depending on the current you can either float to Japan or Taidong.