What happens to expired convenience store food?

I try not to go there often, whatever the brand. But we all do. One night was in there and the guy was loading all those microwave “dinners” back into the baskets. Got me wondering what happens. They arent dumping them there and they are getting shipped somewhere…

The food one can assume is feesing something else or dumped. But the astonishing amounts of waste in packaging has me wondering even more. Its really incredible how much packaging material is in one 711. Like, mind boggling when we stop and think.

So where does it go? Is there a policy and a system?

The package probably gets redated/relabeled and sold again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure what happens to their expired ood, never thought about it.

They probably sell it to those stores that specialize in selling nearly expired goods. You can find a lot of awesome stuff cheap in them.

I’ve found some cheap oke over the years that way.

Nothing gets wasted.

I know someone who runs a familymart. I can ask. Anyone actually wanna know?

1 Like

Pig farms got their supply from leftovers and scraps from markets, restaurants and convenience stores.

According to The Great Buddha+ , they are given to people without resources.

Carrefour and other supermarkets do give their nearly expired food to social groups, that distribute them among the less fortunate.

3 Likes

Convenience stores are really good at ordering and I seriously doubt they have a lot of waste.

They try to sell it at a discount before it expires, after that I’ve no clue but it would not be wise to give it to people as it often sits in the baskets not refrigerated for several hours and it has to go all the way to a collection point. I guess it’s unpacked (plastic recycled eventually) and than sold to pig farms or animal feed processing plants.

I worked at a convenience store before.

They are disposed of. Most of those food goes bad not long after expiration (maybe 2 or 3 days TOPS depending on what it is).

Employees may help themselves to them but other than that they are fed to pigs.

Any stores donating food as charity must be donated before expiry. They can be soon before but not after. A small convenience store gets a fine of 300,000NT if an expired food is discovered by the health department.

Don’t say it varies by stores, because in case you haven’t noticed they’re all franchised by either 7-11 or Family Mart, and I seriously doubt corporate will look kindly to someone relabeling expired food, even worse if someone gets food poisoning.

4 Likes

Yes, I actually want to know. I can see the pig thing. But am quite curious. Also the packaging waste stream

1 Like