What happens to visa if I quit job?

I got a new job but I hate it. They applied for my work permit yesterday ago but I don’t want to do it anymore.

Before this I was just on a visitor visa. If I quit now will anything have changed with my visa?

Also the contract says I must pay $20000 if I break it early. Is this enforceable, considering I don’t even have an arc yet?

Get the work permit get the ARC then quit and get the 6 month looking for work extension. They can’t legally deduct your wages. Also you should have a three month trial period in which you can terminate your employment with out issues.

You’ll probably need to talk to Labor Affairs if they threaten to fine you.

I don’t mind about the ARC and the extension. It would defo be nice but I’m not willing to wait a month or so and continue working it’s too stressful.

I did it once. Was maybe three weeks max in the office. You don’t want to get in a visa limbo. Remember if you leave you might not be able to get back in.

I just got a call back from bofa who said my visa will not be changed. So that’s a relief

1 Like

What the hell is happening? This is a school you are working for? Really feel for you. I did a winter camp for a school and loved it although I did notice a very loud woman who was very rude to kids that were not part of my group. Sure enough, when I began the new semester this same rude and loud woman was my co teacher. I laster 2 weeks and got out of that hell. People are so nasty.

Nothing too bad. the teachers are okay just very demanding. The classes are pretty big too with 35 students in a class and recently I’ve developed some anxiety and panic disorder so that situation isn’t helping.

I got some medicine from the dr but it’s not really working yet

Hope you get better soon. These classes were online or in person?

1 Like

Thank you. The classes were online which is okay. I always had 2 teachers observing me though and pointing out anything they thought wasn’t good enough (too much repetition, speaking too slowly, speaking too quickly, students are bored etc) and it is wearing me down.

I would be due to go into the real class soon and it would be much harder to deal with in person I think.

1 Like

That does sound miserable. I interviewed with a guy and I was doing a demo to kids online and he broke in on the class and started yelling at a kid about how he was sitting in a chair. So rude and nasty. That was a month ago and the same guy is advertising for the same position. My new job will have me as a solo teacher with no assistants or anything teaching youth. My other job is working with Pre-K kids and I’ll of course have an assistant. I am very hopeful things go well. Good luck to us all.

Dang what a lunatic. You dodged a bullet there!

I do have another purely online job which unfortunately is less than half of what the school would pay me.
But it’s also less than half the stress and preparation so it’s definitely better than nothing!

1 Like

Please don’t cross post.

I’ll avoid that

I’m confused

The lasts posts were concerning me putting a link to an article in several different topics. It irritates folks who have been here longer than me. I’ve been schooled on the etiquette expected here.

1 Like

Technically they are supposed to pay you for the time you worked and not charge you penalty and stuff, but being that Taiwanese employers are really used to screwing workers over you may have to go to court to stand your ground…

I’m just wondering what is stopping teachers from organizing and bargaining collectively?

Spoke to my boss about the $20000 penalty and they said I don’t need to pay it.

I don’t think it’s a bad school just didn’t work out for me sadly

1 Like

I believe that at level 2, people on visitors’ visas have 10 days to change visa status, or leave Taiwan. There are no more monthly extensions?
I could be wrong, have you checked?

I actually just checked myself. It appears there was another extension on 8/11. I’m not sure how it works as I do remember an announcement about changes once the level dropped.

It’s a tough way to live going from extension to extension. Stressful.

If the contract says so, yes. Otherwise, you need a reason to terminate. (There are numerous threads about this already, like this one.)

2 Likes

it sounds they made OP work before they get a work permit, so should be enough reason to quit?

1 Like