What happens when mobile contract ends?

I have a mobile postpaid contract with Chunghwa Telecom that’s due to end on 5 November.

If I don’t go into the store to do the paperwork, will they just keep me on my existing plan?

I’m currently on a SIM only deal I like, and I’d like to keep using it but not sure if I have to go into the store and formally sign a new contract.

Can’t speak for CHT but for Taiwan mobile you just go month to month.

Nope. They want you to sign a new contract. Or be put on a heavily crippled month to month.

Crippled in what way?

They shut off the Internet.

1 Like

Yup, this happened to me. It wasn’t entirely shut off, but it felt like Dawn of Dial Up speeds.

Is that CHT? I had run out of contract with Taiwan mobile and nothing happened. It just sent me a text saying contract ended but it will be month to month until you sign another one. And there’s good reason to sign one because you’d end up paying more or less the same but got a free or discounted phone out of it.

Taiwan Mobile

I’m on Taiwan mobile’s 1599 a month plan with 1G home internet and unlimited 5G mobile data, 2 year contract. When it ended last time I had to sign a new contract or they said it would revert to the non contract price, which is something like 4k NTD a month. I didn’t call their bluff and just signed a new contract.

Taiwan Mobile did the same for me, kept the same plan on month to month, I think it went up $100. Perhaps it depends on what plan you have or the carrier.

I did shop around and got a better plan elsewhere, so I went in the store to cancel and the staff pulled out some special hidden plans to retain me so I ended up staying under a new contract.