What if China took the New Zealand approach?

Then I think Chen doesn’t really understand what a democracy is. If Taiwan held a legal referendum and chose to succeed, a democratic government would recognize it. The UK said it opposes Scottish independence, for example, but never said a referendum on independence would be invalid.

The better question is: Taiwan has been de facto independent for 65 years. Why should it need closer ties with China than it has with Japan? “Historical reasons” don’t fly – there must be a convincing argument, otherwise it’s like idly asking whether Cuba will join the US when communism there falls.[/quote]

atimes.com/atimes/China/FB26Ad05.html

Then I think Chen doesn’t really understand what a democracy is. If Taiwan held a legal referendum and chose to succeed, a democratic government would recognize it. The UK said it opposes Scottish independence, for example, but never said a referendum on independence would be invalid.[/quote]

Herein lies the dilemma, who gets to define what a legal referendum is?

By all accounts, the people of Crimea held a “legal” referendum to secede and no democratic government recognized that.

Kosovo [strike]held a “legal” referendum[/strike] to secede and although that has been recognized by some democratic governments, the UN still denies it membership.

Edit: It would seem there was no referendum over the Kosovo secession.

Well Kosovo’s status is good enough for me. I wouldn’t complain if Taiwan pulls of a Kosovo lol.

Then I think Chen doesn’t really understand what a democracy is. If Taiwan held a legal referendum and chose to succeed, a democratic government would recognize it. The UK said it opposes Scottish independence, for example, but never said a referendum on independence would be invalid.[/quote]

By all accounts, the people of Crimea held a “legal” referendum to secede and no democratic government recognized that.
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure the only account by which that referendum was deemed legal is Russia’s. Crimea held a referendum in two weeks time while under foreign occupation, the results of which were admittedly falsified.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]
Then I think Chen doesn’t really understand what a democracy is. If Taiwan held a legal referendum and chose to succeed, a democratic government would recognize it. The UK said it opposes Scottish independence, for example, but never said a referendum on independence would be invalid.

The better question is: Taiwan has been de facto independent for 65 years. Why should it need closer ties with China than it has with Japan? “Historical reasons” don’t fly – there must be a convincing argument, otherwise it’s like idly asking whether Cuba will join the US when communism there falls.[/quote]

The obvious historical precedent is Anschluss, is it not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anschluss

[/quote]

I’m pretty sure the only account by which that referendum was deemed legal is Russia’s. Crimea held a referendum in two weeks time while under foreign occupation, the results of which were admittedly falsified.[/quote]

That is not the point. The point is that Ukraine’s constitution does not legally allow regions to do secession referendums; rather, the whole country gets to decide. So if Crimea held a referendum over a two year period while no foreign forces were present and without any irregularities, it still might not be “legal”.

Haha, ironic and yet with so much historic precedent. Would be funny if one of Xi Jinping’s successors were to follow in the footsteps of Koxinga and CKS. Instead of “Taiwan, ROC” or “ROC on Taiwan” might we one day see the “Taiwan, ROC, PRC” or the “PRC on the ROC on Taiwan”? Of course, Taiwan would have to compete internationally as “Chinese People’s Taipei” to avoid any “confusion.”

All this talk about the CCP … the problem is the PLA leadership …

Would you say the concept of a Greater China will cease to remain irredentist?

It is entirely irredentist. Still, it’s up to the people of Taiwan to decide what they want to do.

It is entirely irredentist. Still, it’s up to the people of Taiwan to decide what they want to do.[/quote]

Wait for the CCP to erode? In any case, the United States might even find ways to rid of the UN in the near future, hence no more permanently seated China.

As far as I know, dentist’s credentials have never been mutually recognized.