What is being taught in Korean schools?

uqmgp.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

Here are pictures from a Korean school, posted up of course.

This is over the Liancourt rocks.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liancourt_Rocks

There are DOZENS. This despite the fact that Korea got about 800 million in grants from the Japanese in war reperations. We see similar going on in China.

PS: If its over the school books, only 0.04% of Japanese kids are being taught the Tsukurukai text from Asahi Shimbun, so its probably not that is it?

Looking at that third one, I never realised New Brunswick felt that kind of animosity towards Nova Scotia.

ROFL, but New Brunswick doesn’t quite look like that, nor does Nova Scotia. Fun observation none the less. Been to either? I was dissapointed that the salmon and fish in Nova Scotia wasn’t as great as I anticipated for years.

(PS. He’s talking about the last one, because I’ve added more pictures since.)

I like the pink bunny using the stupendous power of the noxious Fart to defeat the evil, merciless Enemy. Hurrah! :slight_smile:

Kids are so cute (he says half-jokingly)

The human ability to warm up old conflicts always amazes me.

Now let me nag with my wife about the expensive marriage cookies again… :blush:

[quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]ROFL, but New Brunswick doesn’t quite look like that, nor does Nova Scotia. Fun observation none the less. Been to either? I was dissapointed that the salmon and fish in Nova Scotia wasn’t as great as I anticipated for years.

(PS. He’s talking about the last one, because I’ve added more pictures since.)[/quote]

The Korean one looks a bit like NB. I’m from New Brunswick. We have salmon in the rivers. I don’t know what fish you were eating, but the seafood back home is pretty good. Nova Scotia is known for scallops (Digby), but I think that industry might be or might have gone under. Scallops are kind of rich though. I like deep fried clams and raw oysters. Salmon is salmon whether you’re in Korea or New Brunswick. Smoked salmon is good. If you’re ever in Fredericton, go to William’s Seafood.

Being there, dealed with it working for a Japanese company and believe me, it ain’t pretty to see a demonstration in front of the office by some 3000 Koreans.
Hope this is raher isolated, but they do learn all at school that ONLY Korea is worth existence.

[quote]First Korea and than the rest of the world. Screw you all [/quote], that is what they are thaught…

Japan treated Korea terribly during the colonization period and the war. They tried to eradicate Korean culture and the Korean language, for one thing; they kidnapped hundreds of thousands of Korean girls (many aged 12 or 13) to be used as sex slaves at the front for another.
After living in Korea for three years, I don’t much like the country, but I wouldn’t criticize Koreans for hating Japan.

Korea has survived an attempted genocide. It lasted for over 3 decades. The Japanese occupying government and militia attempted to eradicate or appropriate the language, customs, school system, even the ethnicity (see above posting). This happened fairly recently in history. I think Korea got it worse than China (my personal opinion). Okinawa got it the worst. The language has been eradicated, the people have no memory.

The comparison between Germany’s relationship with Israel is a nice contrast.

Imagine for a second that the current German president + parliment paid his respects at a church in which Adolf Hitler’s remains are entombed. And let’s also imagine, for a second, that this church is the focal point of a very strong, mainstream neo-Nazi movement… with a web presence that glorifies the Fuhrer’s Third Reich. Imagine, again, that the regular attendees of this church happen to be former SS who goose-step (in full SS gear) to the front door on Hitler’s birthday, waving copies of Mein Kempf.

Imagine that leading members of the German government continued to deny allegations of mass killings in WW2 concentration camps. That there might have been some Jewish civillians killed, but the dead were primarily military-aged men participating in the underground resistance. That what occurred in the concentration camps were legitimate acts of war. That the vast majority of the Nazi Germany military machine, with the possible exception of Hitler, were only heroes who sacrified their lives to defend the Fatherland.

I personally wouldn’t be “surprised” if young Israelis wanted to take a $hit on Deutschland, either.

I am calling it ‘the worst PR in the history of the human race’.

It is amazing how Japan expects other Asian countries to just shove it all under the rug and continue like nothing ever happened…when things are still being resolved as we speak; chemical stores are being uncovered, missing bodies and gravesites are still being identified…it’s just a big mess. And btw, in case anyone doesn’t know this: Koizumi’s dad was a minister in the dept. of war during WWII.// Most Japanese and all Japanese students have no idea whatsoever that Japan engaged in war with the following countries only 60 years ago: Australia, England, Canada, Philippines, etc. My students take a trip to Australia every year and were dumbfounded when I told them that Japan had bombed Australia in WWII.

The Japanese bombed the hell out of Pearl Harbor during WWII and did unspeakably evil things to our POW’s, yet we (Americans) seem to have gotten over it … no, it wasn’t as bad as what was inflicted upon the Koreans and Chinese (among others), but sometimes you just need to let go and focus on the present and future as opposed to constantly looking to the past in order to continue fanning the flames of militant, ethnocentric, and xenophobic nationalism. And BTW, the Koreans don’t just hate the Japanese, they hate everyone.

I don’t think you can compare the strategic military bombing of a naval harbour and the mis-treatment, torture and death of captured soldiers with the long-term occupation, language eradication, name eradicaition, cultural genocide plus physical killing, abuse and torture of civilians…

However, yes, Koreans do hate everyone. I will easily give you that!

The Japanese have it lucky.

31 generations later, the descendents of Yue Fei refuse to marry anyone with the last name of Qin. They even have to think twice before being friends. (Google ‘yue fei’ for details.) Lu and Wu’s hatred also dates all the way back to the Song.

The hatred between Shi and Zheng is a little more recent, but apparently just as fierce (courtesy of Koxinga).

gb.udn.com/gb/udn.com/NEWS/NATIO … 4714.shtml

When I was in S Korea this past August, I learned that the Koreans use the Japanese language to say “I am sorry”, because they believe japan owes tthem many apologies.

Are you for real? WOW.

Isn’t Okinawa in Japan?! What do you mean by, language eradicated, and people having no more memory?! :loco:

Geopolitically speaking Japan and (South)Korea have to work together. Its the obvious strategic choice when looking on a map.

[quote=“engerim”]
Isn’t Okinawa in Japan?! What do you mean by, language eradicated, and people having no more memory?! :loco: [/quote]
Well… that’s probably an exaggeration. But probably a good time to revisit the history of Okinawa, aka Ryukyu:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryukyu_Islands

And the below argument for eventual Ryukyu independence is surprisingly similar to the language used for Taiwanese independence.