What is child abuse?

So smacking your kid is apparently considered child abuse now?

2 Likes

And verbal discipline.

2 Likes

Oh no! Not THAT!

Would you consider smacking your wife domestic battery? If so, why would it be more acceptable to smack a kid who canā€™t defend itself versus your wife who stands a far better chance?

The truth is that when you discipline using violence youā€™re really teaching that they can and should use violence to solve big problems. It makes the use of force legitimate when it really shouldnā€™t be. Youā€™re also teaching them that they should comply in order to avoid punishment rather than because itā€™s the right or proper thing to do.

Thereā€™s better more effective ways of teaching your children. Using force just seems easier in the moment though which is why some people do it. Thereā€™s also the element of past victims hashing out the same punishment that they got because they ā€œturned out fineā€ which is never really true. Even if it is, are we really striving for ā€œjust fineā€ for our children? Or are trying to give them a better life and raise them to eventually be better than we turned out?

3 Likes

Yes, because itā€™s not my place to discipline my wife. What legitimate reason would I have for punishing her? (Except in bedā€¦)

1 Like

Wu (23) said he had not known any better because he received the same kind of physical abuse when he was growing up.

Somehow I donā€™t think he was beat up and paralyzed by his parents as a 12-month old infant in 2001. I call BS.

2 Likes

building long lasting discipline canā€™t be achieved through violence or fear but through purpose. Even the Marines knew not to use physical violence against recruits (at least not for a while). And thatā€™s a life or death situation when you get right down to it. Far more dire circumstances if you ask me. And even then they donā€™t strike you.

2 Likes

What a horrible thing to do to a child. Life is not fair. You are born to unqualified parents and you are at the mercy of their emotions. What parents often not realize is that children canā€™t help themselves. Brain is not developed yet to understand things and act rationally in a lot of situations. You canā€™t fix that by punishment or threats. Need to help them get through the tantrums and the phases where they just try to test the limits and challenge their parents. The strange thing about life is that the people who are the least qualified and prepared for having children are usually the ones who have the most. The poor and uneducated, those who struggle to make a living, those who never received love and a good education themselves. I wonder if that is by design or a flaw in the system that is human life.

1 Like

:point_up: this.

And this :point_up:.

Well spoken on the topic @DogmaticStoic .