What is child abuse?

Hitting children is still a cultural norm in Taiwan, says Dr. Frank Lu, director of National Taiwan University Hospital’s Child Protection Center. But he says government and society can do more to support parents and show them better ways of disciplining their kids.

I have to admit, my hand has slipped a few times over the past three years, nothing major, short outbursts of anger, a slap on the hand here and there. It’s so damn hard to keep your cool in certain situations. All the good advice is helpful and in a perfect world the kids will listen and understand what to do and what not to do, if you explain everything patiently and passionately. Sometimes you see your kid walking straight into a very dangerous situation despite being warned about the danger again and again. How to get your point across if everything vocal has failed?

If you are a parent, have you ever resorted to any kind of corporal punishment?

3 Likes

What age?

You can explain patiently and passionately and sometimes kids will just do … something else. Raising your voice can be abuse, but what parent has never raised their voice? A slap on hand or bottom is in the same category.

I remember the time a small child (3 or 4?) was standing in front of me on the escalator and his mom was coaxing him to step aside. That went on for not too long before I moved the child aside myself and stepped past them.

You are not doing your child a favor by teaching them that all life’s problems can be solved by discussion. Taiwanese people are like sheep. The world is not safe.

4 Likes

Raising a child is so full of landmines. Have given up the idea of being perfect a long time ago. Hitting or shouting at a child is a sign of failure and the very very last resort for me. Luckily 99.9% of the time everything is solved peacefully by explanation, negotiation, comprise, whatever it takes. Giving the child the feeling of being heard and respected is important, while at the same time getting them to do what is in their own best interest. Pretty much like dealing with adults.

3 Likes

We are 4 and a half now.

1 Like

I worked for Child Protective Services before teaching in NY. Swatting a kid on the butt because he’s running into traffic is not abuse. A car will hurt way more.

Swatting her for crying is, as is leaving a mark or using a belt. That’s cruelty.

Usually what parents worry about is what the swat will do to the kid later on.

Parenting is tough. Jia yo!

2 Likes

Now, that’s a whole new level. Because it’s not something that happens as a reflex in the moment. I will never ever do that. Actions should have consequences but should never lead to being beaten to receive a lesson.

I think children should know what it feels like to get hit or what it’s like to be mildly injured so they understand the consequences of their actions. But punishment in general is not something that I want to be part of.

Of course not. I was simply giving a general rundown of the legal definitions in NY.

I hear ya.

1 Like

No. In most countries (such as the US), physical punishment at home such as spanking with your bare hands is legal.

Using a tree branch is another story.

From the outside it sounds like you are just being a loving, protective parent. Forget about it. :v:

My boy is 11 now. We hit the sweet spot a few years back. We get on like a house on fire. He’s everything I taught him. God help the lad! :joy:

2 Likes

Sounds great…

… but I have no idea what you mean. :grin:

1 Like

Harmony is possible. Trust me :joy:

1 Like

Quiet before the storm …

I am so glad that we are, for the most part, out of the terrible 3 (and 4) tantrum phase now. What are the next storms to prepare for, wonder. Is it smooth sailing until the teen years?

Pretty much. Now they can speak and be spoken to. Mine is 24 now. THAT’s way more fun. 15-22, though – ugh. That was rough.

1 Like

Hardest time (so far) is about two or three years that may land somewhere between 11 and 15.

1 Like

Yeah and who do you report a random parent smaking their child in front of you to? The police?

1 Like

Garbage article.

4 Likes