What is holding up Taiwan becoming a real developed country?

Taipei University area in Sanxia/Shulin?

1 Like

We can argue over that if you want but I think there is a misunderstanding, I am not a Taiwan apologist. I agree with most of the problems mentioned above. Rather I am a “Taiwan optimist” if that makes any sense. I think that Taiwan is on the right path and the past 10 years will just be a bump in the road. The economic fundamentals are much much stronger than most people realize and its a matter of time for the public sentiment to revert back to normal levels (the catalyst will probably be a Chinese economic slowdown).

2 Likes

Two things in life are certain:

• you’re going to die
  • life’s too short to waste on useless meaningless rankings
4 Likes

Cha Bu Dwo

1 Like

I agree fully. I hope your post gets many likes :wink:

Also, Tamsui and Wulai are both in Xinbei/NTC, although you might not class them part of Taipei city, i think they are fantastic. Fair point about lack of sidewalks, but personally that’s not high on my requirements.

Just adds to the character, maaaaan

All the reasons you cited for Taiwan’s being a developed country are standard indicators of a developed country.

All the indicators you cited for Taiwan not being developed–are just wish lists.

You’re just like Ralph Jennings–saying Taiwan isn’t developed because there’s not enough green shrubbery.

I’ve called Taiwan 3rd world because its baseball stadiums lack bullpens that are out of play. That’s just my preference.

You think Japan treats foreign workers better than Taiwan does? Are you kidding me?

“Rote memorization” may not be good for creativity, but a lot of countries would kill to get the same results as Taiwan in math and science scores.

The education system in Taiwan is supremely practical. Alliances between academia and business are common.

Big claim, let’s see you quote them one by one and make a decent effort at an argument then.

I’m not saying every developed country has all the characteristics I cite, of course not. Every country has is gaps. There’s a few really gaping holes here that you seem content to ignkre.

You think most developed countries treat their environment like Taiwan ? That you can just whack up a factory pretty much anywhere ? :joy:
‘eh guys, we will get around to having clean air, water and soil one of these days…Till then it’s just a wish list …I’m off to Kyoto for the week’
How about planning and zoning laws?
How about sanitation laws in restaurants and food quality ?
What about migrant worker law and levels of abuse of migrants?
Drinking water quality?
Tax evasion ?
Direct vote buying?
Motor scooters and the general driving behaviour ?
I can continue.

In other ways, infrastructure and health insurance and public safety and academic research ,Taiwan scores very highly as I mentioned. The environmental problem is the real biggie here. Migrant workers may not agree.

2 Likes

Gotta get that state-of-the-art ITRI LED light bulb installed on my Xmas tree this year

1 Like

Tongue in cheek ?

It sounds like you want Taiwan to be Western. I’m not going to say “love it or leave it,” but if you’re living here and have moved here from the States or Canada you might think about going back.

When you see a Simple Mart, you know that area isn’t fancy enough for a 7-11

Please, Simple Mart has the best VFM beer selection in Taiwan and the imported olive oil they have there is the biggest steal around.

Zhonghe makes me sad. I cant think of anything in the bit away from the subway stations that is redeeming. They have a Costco and a big Decathlon. Thats it. Sad place full of boring companies full of boring people and pollution

1 Like

Who? Who should go back where? What are you shitting on about ?
Did you read the OP?
Is Taiwan ‘Westernised’ if it cleans up it’s environment ?

1 Like

True, never heard anyone say anything positive about Zhonghe

It’s close to Taipei city ! I worked there for years but refused to move there , what a crap place to work could have killed me too from a nasty scooter accident.

1 Like

I have been to Chinatown in San Francisco and it’s actually not that different (apart from the scooters). Except in SF there’s homeless people everywhere, spikes and other “defensive” stuff everywhere.

I’d argue that Taiwanese have better civic responsibility in some ways. In the US people aren’t raised to keep their environment clean. In school you aren’t responsible for cleaning the school (they hire janitors for this) so people don’t develop the need to keep things clean (because their classmates will clean it). So you go to places like Walmart, and without janitors keeping things clean people would make a huge mess…

Yes this has worked so well for Taiwan in developing environmental conscious. :sunglasses:
I agree though that kids should be told to clean up after themselves.

Thats no argument, it’s generally true. Especially for public spaces, Taiwanese clean up after themselves at movie theaters too. I guess in the US they know staff gets paid to clean it. But I do see Jr High kids learning to keep their school clean.

I think where Taiwanese fall short is in the maintenance on their homes, they let metal rust, wooden fences rot, and surfaces grow mold without power hosing them each year. New buildings look dilapidated after a few years when the owners don’t maintain them.

4 Likes

Western like Japan, South Korea and Singapore?

3 Likes