What is holding up Taiwan becoming a real developed country?

So you see Taipei City as some separate thing to New Taipei City? Interesting. As someone who goes back and forth all week long I don’t see much distinction. There are similar areas in both. Nice areas in both and shit areas in both.

3 Likes

The Zhonghe/Yonghe/Bit Of Banqiao industrial sinkhole bit is decisively worse than Taipei. The air is worse, the sidewalks are non-existent, the traffic is worse, the selection of shops is worse. Even the people look disinterested. Xindian and some other places are alright

3 Likes

You still have ‘factories’ in the middle of the city where most ‘developed’ countries have industrial zones.

2 Likes

Taiwanese only require a place to take IG pics, chase Pokemon and eat shit food on a stick.

3 Likes

Think Da-an … but bigger and better

1 Like

You should’ve been there 20 years ago, trash mountains from Yingge all the way to Banxiao alongside the river, 30 feet high. Now there is a park, sports fields and bike roads.

1 Like

The smell :grin:

Controversial opinion -
As long as they can go on overseas trips and take those IG pics from EU or Japan who cares if home is a pig sty ?

1 Like

I was there twenty years lol.
I’ve seen some improvements for sure much more needs to be done with that specific area mentioned by Kavalan …It’s actually a designated flood zone .
You can read about it here (the zone around furen uni).

Those are many of the factories that were kicked out of Taipei city 25 years ago or so. Bizarrely the land actually zoned for industrial has mostly been developed into residential and commercial. :sunglasses:

China. Imagine if they just acted like adults over at Beijing and let 24 million people’s will be. Foreign investments would rush in, stocks will rally, trade relations with China will be even better.

3 Likes

Seems to be multi-faceted like any big problem, but so far it seems to be:

1. China
  2. Inertia; lots of old junky stuff that’s hanging on and crapping the place up.
  3. Cost-down mentality.
  4. 差不多
  5. I would argue heat and humidity mixed with air pollution.
  6. Older generations’ lack of taste and being generally unreasonable
1 Like

i think taipei has more nice areas. what are the good parts of new taipei? some parts of banqiao? a small part of yong he?
but when i go from banqiao to wanhua which i do quite often, there is very little difference. infact wanhua is more rough. of course i mean the BQ / YH / ZH block of land. not sanchong. i’m fully aware sanchong is the no.1 roughest district.

1 Like

zhonghe is crap but its a shining beacon of light compared to taoyuan.

That’s the old days, Taoyuan is much improved overall I feel. Still more work to be done. I prefer Taoyuan because significantly less crowded. Lots of new apartments. Not talking about train station area.

1 Like

Depends where in taoyuan

2 Likes

the train station area. i used to need to walk from the ikea area to the train station and it was just an endless pavementless cesspool everytime. i was looking for them but there were no good points.

some areas are quite livable i admit but when the central area is so rubbish whats the point?

Yes that area is awful

1 Like

Most of Wanhua outside of the longshan temple but is better than zhonghe. I used to work in Zhonghe and live in Wanhua.

Danshui is OK, Xindian is OK erm the bit near Banqiao station is good.

1 Like

Linkou is New Taipei and that’s pretty cleaned up and modern in parts now.

Same with the Bei Da area of Sanxia.

2 Likes

the stretch of fuzhong, banqiao station, xinpu and jian zi cui is pretty great imo.

some parts of zhonghe are pretty damn rough. the part near nan shi jiao is really rubbish. but i would still live there over wanhua. the people in new taipei city seem normal. wanhua people not really…